Author Topic: Jimmy Butler News, Rumors, & Speculation (Merged)  (Read 20237 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler News, Rumors, & Speculation (Merged)
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2017, 11:36:49 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I don't believe the Celtics turned down Butler for the #3. That makes no sense. CBS is reputable, but somebody has their wires crossed. Watch out for agents planting fake stories.

Of course, Ainge may well have another plan which nets two stars. Did I say nets? I have to think his goal is two impact players.

The biggest clue that somebody got mixed up is that a straight up trade doesn't work under the CBA.

That's not technically true. We could've still agreed to the trade in principle and not completed it until July when we had cap space to absorb him. Lots of delayed trades happen like that.

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2017, 11:50:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't believe the Celtics turned down Butler for the #3. That makes no sense. CBS is reputable, but somebody has their wires crossed. Watch out for agents planting fake stories.

Of course, Ainge may well have another plan which nets two stars. Did I say nets? I have to think his goal is two impact players.

The biggest clue that somebody got mixed up is that a straight up trade doesn't work under the CBA.

I'm fairly sure the last time that reporter mentioned the Celtics, he talked about IT getting the supermax deal next year, which was wrong on so many levels.  Even in this article he implies Butler would get it from his new team -- again wrong.

I've this author make a ton of mistake over the past six months that I noticed his existence.  He really has no clue about these things, and no inclination to learn.  I doubt his rumors are worth the 140 characters he can tweet.

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2017, 12:00:45 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
No way i send #3 for Butler, Laker18 take it or good luck seeing him walking in 2 years

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2017, 02:38:15 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
1. Boston sends #3, Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier, James Young  Dimetrius Jackson to Chicago for Jimmy Butler

2. Boston sends Jaylen Brown, 2018 Celtics 1St, 2018 Lakers 1St (via Philly) to New York for Kristaps Porzingis

3. Boston signs Gordon Hayward

4. Boston signs Gerald Green and Jared Sullinger to vet min / exception deals

Roster:
Isaiah Thomas
Jimmy Butler
Gordon Hayward
Kristaps Porzingis
Al Horford
Marcus Smart
Gerald Green
Jae Crowder
Jared Sullinger
Ante Zizic

And we keep 2018 Brooklyn pick.

Make it happen Danny!!!

NOT trading Jaylen....send them Crowder or Smart instead.

If we sent smart we have no backup PG, and crowders contact is about $3m higher then Porzingis, which the knicks may not want to absorb... And Crowder is too old probably to interest a rebuildong /lteam.   'd give up Jalen Brown if it gets us Porzingis.

We cant get too caught up in the usual Celtics fanism of massively overrating the value of all our players.   Jaylen Brown is nice, but Porzingis is putting up near all star numbers at the age of like 21.

I hate the idea of trading Bradley more then anything. He's always been one of my favourite players in this team,  and I'd hate seeimg him in another Jersey.  But if it gets us a Jimmy Butler, im pulling that trigger. I'd send Bradley out with nothing but love,  hell of i were a GM id even pay for his new house at whatever destination he goes to just to show how much he is appreciated.    But trading him would be a necessary step to its contending fir a title,  and so I'd have to do it.

I like brown and Rozier too - i would get no pleasure from sending then elsewhere - but you have to do what you have to do.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:45:42 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2017, 03:21:34 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
If we can get Zinger or Butler here, that'd be an amazing offseason for us. If both come here? DA SHOULD WIN EXEC OF THE YEAR!
- LilRip

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2017, 12:17:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Zinger will cost a LOT more than Jimmy; not sure he solves our rebounding woes...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2017, 12:19:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Zinger will cost a LOT more than Jimmy; not sure he solves our rebounding woes...

He easily becomes OUR best rebounder here though.

But yes, he'd cost A TON I imagine.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think DA won't trade for Butler before draft night unless the Bulls magically crack and accept some sort of package like Bradley and some sort of non Brooklyn related draft picks. Obviously that's unlikely, especially at this juncture.

I think DA realizes that Butler in himself won't save the C's and would really only be good as a compliment to another star. So if this pick is traded for Butler, I think it will be after the draft and after the C's have picked up a Hayward or Griffin or someone of that stature.

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:39 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think DA won't trade for Butler before draft night unless the Bulls magically crack and accept some sort of package like Bradley and some sort of non Brooklyn related draft picks. Obviously that's unlikely, especially at this juncture.

I think DA realizes that Butler in himself won't save the C's and would really only be good as a compliment to another star. So if this pick is traded for Butler, I think it will be after the draft and after the C's have picked up a Hayward or Griffin or someone of that stature.

Yep, I've been saying this, too. The same would be true with George. Porzingis would be the only one who could actually go down on draft night or before, because he doesn't really mess up cap space.

Granted, we could also pick the player they want and finish the trade after signing a free agent.

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yep, I've been saying this, too. The same would be true with George. Porzingis would be the only one who could actually go down on draft night or before, because he doesn't really mess up cap space.

Granted, we could also pick the player they want and finish the trade after signing a free agent.

1.) I think NYK is posturing with Porzingis and don't they're really trading him unless they get a godfather offer.

2.) The risk of trading after the draft is do we take the player at #3 that we like or Chicago likes? We may be leaning towards Tatum over Jackson but what if they much prefer Jackson? Do we take Jackson and hope Chicago doesn't have a change of heart before the trade is consummated?

3.) People seem to be hypothesizing on the basis that we already have Hayward or Griffin in the bag. We'll be one of multiple teams after their services and we could just as easily end not signing either of them. You could still potentially trade for Butler and not eliminate the free agency space. Personally, I think IT/Butler/Horford is a significantly stronger pitch to free agents than IT/Horford/AB/Crowder.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2017, 08:31:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Report: Celtics turned down Bulls’ trade offer of Jimmy Butler for No. 3 pick in draft: Chicago went to Boston and offered Butler for the No. 3 pick of the 2017 NBA draft. It was a straight-up offer with nothing else attached. Reportedly, the Celtics said no to the offer. (CBS Boston)

Jimmy Butler-to-Celtics buzz more speculation than reality — for now: As of Sunday, the talk is based more on speculation than reality, a stance that at least three league executives the Tribune spoke to over the weekend don’t expect to change by Thursday. There is plenty of belief within the league and the Bulls organization that the Celtics are poised to use the No. 3 pick Thursday and then pursue Jazz All-Star Gordon Hayward in free agency come July. (Chicago Tribune)

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2017, 08:35:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Report: Celtics turned down Bulls’ trade offer of Jimmy Butler for No. 3 pick in draft: Chicago went to Boston and offered Butler for the No. 3 pick of the 2017 NBA draft. It was a straight-up offer with nothing else attached. Reportedly, the Celtics said no to the offer. (CBS Boston)

Jimmy Butler-to-Celtics buzz more speculation than reality — for now: As of Sunday, the talk is based more on speculation than reality, a stance that at least three league executives the Tribune spoke to over the weekend don’t expect to change by Thursday. There is plenty of belief within the league and the Bulls organization that the Celtics are poised to use the No. 3 pick Thursday and then pursue Jazz All-Star Gordon Hayward in free agency come July. (Chicago Tribune)

I think it also has to do with the fact that Butler only has 2 years left on his deal now, and if he makes another All-NBA team, extending him would mean doing it at around 40M/Year I believe (or a VERY high figure anyways).

Meanwhile, you could add Griffin/Hayward for "free" and use #3 OR trade down and add some more assets while drafting someone you like in this draft still at the Top-10.

Like us, they must also be REAL high on Jaylen Brown. A guy who can become our Jimmy Butler in a few years.  ;D

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2017, 08:38:54 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I think it also has to do with the fact that Butler only has 2 years left on his deal now, and if he makes another All-NBA team, extending him would mean doing it at around 40M/Year I believe (or a VERY high figure anyways).

Meanwhile, you could add Griffin/Hayward for "free" and use #3 OR trade down and add some more assets while drafting someone you like in this draft still at the Top-10.

That's just insane! He's not worth that.

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Exactly.

If IT isn't worth 30M/Year to people on here, then Butler sure as hell isn't worth potential supermax either.

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2017, 09:04:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Exactly.

If IT isn't worth 30M/Year to people on here, then Butler sure as hell isn't worth potential supermax either.

No worries then as Butler would not be eligible for the super-max if he is traded.

Players either on or coming off their second contract can now sign an extension, or a new deal as a free agent, worth 35 percent of the cap even if they have not accrued 10 years of service if certain criteria are met. In order to qualify for the provision, players must have been named to an All-NBA team in the previous season or two of the previous three, or either be an MVP or Defensive Player of the Year in any of the previous three seasons. In addition to that individual achievement, players must also remain on the team they were on during their rookie contracts.

I have come around to a Butler trade, but not for the #3 - at least not on draft night; we need to sign Hayward or Griffin first (or at least try). I still would like an AB/Crowder/Rozier Mem pick and don't think that is that far off.