Author Topic: Jimmy Butler News, Rumors, & Speculation (Merged)  (Read 20373 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler News, Rumors, & Speculation (Merged)
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2017, 09:31:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
CBS is reporting the Celtics turned down a Butler trade that was straight up for the #3 pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-celtics-turned-down-bulls-trade-offer-of-jimmy-butler-for-no-3-pick-in-draft/

That is crazy. I would think that is as cheap as you can get a player of that magnitude. I am not even a big Jimmy Butler fan but you have to take that offer.

It has more to do with timing. Just doing that trade right now would take us out of the free agent market, which many suggest we already have a good feeling about (such as Hayward).

Of course, we could've just agreed on that deal now and completed it later in July, but I'm sure Danny is keeping his options open for now before the draft for potentially better deals, such as Porzingis.

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2017, 09:31:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/877330577501941760?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fchicago-bulls

The Jimmy Butler to Cavs deal is unlikely at this point, I'm told.

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/877330825423073280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fchicago-bulls

Stance that Butler still wants to play for Bulls and remains committed to organization also has been made clear to Bulls.

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/877333071690858496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fchicago-bulls

That said, Bulls remain active in talks on Butler. Parameters haven't changed: Need players and certainty on high picks to commit to rebuild

So, looks like we're the main trade target at this point. Perhaps Minnesota could be a target, too, or maybe even Phoenix, though that's unlikely.

It sounds like the Bulls are hoping the Celtics will budge and offer some serious assets. They should have taken the offers we made last year instead of asking for the moon. Now they can shove it.

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I guess Butler suspects LBJ will go to LA next year, and he doesn't want to be left in CLE alone for a year.

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
CBS is reporting the Celtics turned down a Butler trade that was straight up for the #3 pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-celtics-turned-down-bulls-trade-offer-of-jimmy-butler-for-no-3-pick-in-draft/

That is crazy. I would think that is as cheap as you can get a player of that magnitude. I am not even a big Jimmy Butler fan but you have to take that offer.

It has more to do with timing. Just doing that trade right now would take us out of the free agent market, which many suggest we already have a good feeling about (such as Hayward).

Of course, we could've just agreed on that deal now and completed it later in July, but I'm sure Danny is keeping his options open for now before the draft for potentially better deals, such as Porzingis.

Agreed.  I do wonder if the reports are true (C's rejected 3rd pick for Butler), that Hayward is on his way.

However, if we still had the #1 pick, would Phil Jackson be more open to a Zinger trade?  As a pro-Fultz person, I would have wanted them to take Fultz, but if Danny did not want to take him (which he doesn't), I would be happier if he flipped that pick and players for Porzingis rather than pick Jackson/Tatum and a suspect future 1st rounder.

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2017, 09:48:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Makes no sense though. If your FA target is Hayward, you don't really need him if you get Butler. So in essence what you're saying is that you'd rather have Hayward than Butler. There's no value in signing a FA just to sign a FA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Makes no sense though. If your FA target is Hayward, you don't really need him if you get Butler. So in essence what you're saying is that you'd rather have Hayward than Butler. There's no value in signing a FA just to sign a FA.

Why trade assets away for Butler if you have good indications that Gordon will sign.

July 1 — Official start of 2017/18 league year; July moratorium begins. Free agents can begin reaching verbal agreements with teams.

July 6 — July moratorium ends (11:00am CT); teams can begin officially signing players and making trades.

These dates are right around the corner. Just hold tight for a few more weeks.

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2017, 10:02:32 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Basically, it would have been a situation where you get just Butler or can have Tatum/Jackson and Hayward or Griffin. I choose option 2.

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Why trade assets away for Butler if you have good indications that Gordon will sign.

July 1 — Official start of 2017/18 league year; July moratorium begins. Free agents can begin reaching verbal agreements with teams.

July 6 — July moratorium ends (11:00am CT); teams can begin officially signing players and making trades.

Because Butler is the better player and can actually stay in one piece?

Also, these dates are irrelevant since they are after the draft.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2017, 10:03:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

I meant to put Griffin as the free agent target, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them go super small with a 2, 3, 4 of Brown, Butler, and Hayward, which would actually match up well with GS. PG would obviously be a better fit there than Butler, but Butler has less risks attached to him.\

Also, Butler might be plan B if we don't get any free agents at all, so the timing of the offer is still relevant.

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2017, 10:15:32 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't believe the Celtics turned down Butler for the #3. That makes no sense. CBS is reputable, but somebody has their wires crossed. Watch out for agents planting fake stories.

Of course, Ainge may well have another plan which nets two stars. Did I say nets? I have to think his goal is two impact players.

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2017, 10:15:38 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens

Because Butler is the better player and can actually stay in one piece?

Also, these dates are irrelevant since they are after the draft.

So your saying that Butler > than Gordon + #3 pick. I highly doubt that.

Hence the trade is not being made, which makes those dates are highly relevant.

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2017, 10:21:58 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
Woj is now saying:

Sources: As teams become aware Phil Jackson isn't ruling out possibility of trading Kristaps Porzingis, frenzy of interest is growing today.

Also NY Daily News:

As Phil Jackson's stated publicly, he's not ruling out dealing anybody -- including Kristaps Porzingis. And the Celtics, who own the third overall pick in the NBA Draft, want him.
Now that trade season is in full swing ahead of the draft, the Knicks have been flooded with interest in their star, sources confirmed. And according to a source, the Celtics are among the teams interested.

So the #1 trade target now maybe the Zinger. With the #1 FA target being Gordon.

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2017, 10:25:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Woj is now saying:

Sources: As teams become aware Phil Jackson isn't ruling out possibility of trading Kristaps Porzingis, frenzy of interest is growing today.

Also NY Daily News:

As Phil Jackson's stated publicly, he's not ruling out dealing anybody -- including Kristaps Porzingis. And the Celtics, who own the third overall pick in the NBA Draft, want him.
Now that trade season is in full swing ahead of the draft, the Knicks have been flooded with interest in their star, sources confirmed. And according to a source, the Celtics are among the teams interested.

So the #1 trade target now maybe the Zinger. With the #1 FA target being Gordon.

That's the huge benefit of trading for Porzingis, we would still have cap space for a max free agent like Hayward.

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2017, 11:01:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't believe the Celtics turned down Butler for the #3. That makes no sense. CBS is reputable, but somebody has their wires crossed. Watch out for agents planting fake stories.

Of course, Ainge may well have another plan which nets two stars. Did I say nets? I have to think his goal is two impact players.

The biggest clue that somebody got mixed up is that a straight up trade doesn't work under the CBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2017, 11:21:42 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Woj is now saying:

Also NY Daily News:

That's the huge benefit of trading for Porzingis, we would still have cap space for a max free agent like Hayward.

We would fix our rebounding woes, obtain a rim protector, and get our second go-to/wing guy.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)