Author Topic: If we let Cleveland outbid us, any window we hope to have is closed.  (Read 2058 times)

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
That simple, if Cleveland can add another big piece to their team without us at the very least matching it, we've given up all hope of beating them anytime soon. The reality is in order to beat them, we need a trade followed by a signing. 2 stars.

We have the assets to get this done, but if Ainge cheaps out and Cleveland lands Butler or George, it just moves us further away. We're in a position to not only improve our own team, but weaken the Cavs. They can still try to figure it out with a Melo or something, but we can't afford to let them outbid us. Lets gobble up the best pieces on the market before they can improve.

I think the best offseason we can have is George/Griffin. That has the absolute highest upside, but Butler/Hayward isn't exactly bad. Some combination of these guys is our ticket to getting through the east and getting a crack at the Dubs.

We just can't stand pat and be cheapskates, it's time to add 2 pieces and build our next contender.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I'm not worried. Cleveland would lose Love in the deal, its a lateral move. I think the Bulls are also using them to put pressure on the Celtics to offer up more.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Griffin/Hayward would be fun to watch

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's just as likely that CLE could be a barren wasteland come 2018-2019. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Talk to me after LeBron leaves after next season for LA.

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Butler is being overpriced and the Bulls are trying hold teams ransom. They want DWade to opt out and free up $24M, then they would let Butler go for less.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think letting the GM go was a signal from the owner that the luxury tax days are over. We won our championship, guys. We tried again and failed. I'm not going to lose any more money trying to play add a star with the Warriors. Reminds me of Wyc following the '08 Championship. OK Danny, back under the cap.

I would be surprised if the Cavs continue to play the star game. Trading Love for Butler may be basically getting out of Love's contract, then letting Butler go to FA. A lateral move.

KD signing with Warriors was a vertical move--they unloaded lesser players to accommodate him. Which is exactly what Ainge must do to get better. Exactly.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If we get into a bidding war, then we will surely overpay and regret it for years to come.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Are you a Miami Heat fan?  Hayward reportedly likes Miami and Griffin seems like a warm weather guy too.  It would not surprise me if Pat Riley can pull this off though he would be in lux tax territory.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I think letting the GM go was a signal from the owner that the luxury tax days are over. We won our championship, guys. We tried again and failed. I'm not going to lose any more money trying to play add a star with the Warriors. Reminds me of Wyc following the '08 Championship. OK Danny, back under the cap.

I would be surprised if the Cavs continue to play the star game. Trading Love for Butler may be basically getting out of Love's contract, then letting Butler go to FA. A lateral move.

KD signing with Warriors was a vertical move--they unloaded lesser players to accommodate him. Which is exactly what Ainge must do to get better. Exactly.

Are you serious? We were over the cap before letting our Championship core go. If we were under the cap, we wouldve been there vying for James Harden when he was available. It is only recently that we are under the cap.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

its gonna happen ......same with Clippers

When Lebron leaves ......nobody will consider going to Cavs ......Irving will be headed to LA , Miami , or Spurs in a flash .

Lebron leaves ....its every man for himself

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

its gonna happen ......same with Clippers

When Lebron leaves ......nobody will consider going to Cavs ......Irving will be headed to LA , Miami , or Spurs in a flash .

Lebron leaves ....its every man for himself

When the CLE thing goes, its gonna go bad & fast. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Are you a Miami Heat fan?  Hayward reportedly likes Miami and Griffin seems like a warm weather guy too.  It would not surprise me if Pat Riley can pull this off though he would be in lux tax territory.

They can't sign both.  They would need to cut ~$50 million in salary in order to do that (if they get Bosh's salary removed, then "only"  ~$25 million).  There's no reasonable way for them to do so
I'm bitter.

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
Butler/George post LeBron era wouldn't scare me