Author Topic: Coach K just sold me on Tatum  (Read 7273 times)

Coach K just sold me on Tatum
« on: June 20, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Just heard an interview and just wanted to present a few points that he spoke of Tatum

- best scorer in the draft
- can be coached hard (tough skin)
- had a foot injury so did not see the full product
- has plenty room to grow (again easy to coach)
- defense is improving
- great kid (although he says that about 99% of his players)
 - ideal frame for an ideal scorer at the next level 6'8"
- Will be an All Star

Still would prefer a Butler trade but at #3 hope the C's go for Tatum

Re: Coach K just sold me on Tatum
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
Also he can play 4 positions in the NBA

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:53:14 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Trying not to get too attached to the 3rd pick.....BUT....

I hope that we come out of all of this with Tatum, whether it's at 3, 4 or 5.

Brown/Tatum/BK'18 and the Lakers/Sac pick sounds like a great young core for a long time.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:54:40 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
He clearly was not the best scorer in the draft.

Much of what Coach K said about him is true, but what's he gonna say? Point out his weaknesses?

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Coach K is a con artist.

All these coaches promote their own players. It helps them in recruiting.

Look, Tatum by all accounts is a decent kid.  But his strength is a mid range game, and that is about it.  Will really struggle playing defense in the NBA.  Jackson will be able to step in day one. Jackson is better than Jaylen Brown now, whom I love.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Coach K also waxed poetic about justice Winslow and Jahlil Okafor.

He said Winslow was like Dwayne Wade and I'm pretty sure he said he was the best wing prospect he'd ever coached.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
These things all could be true, but remember it is his job to say these kind of things. The Calapari 30 for 30 exemplifies this point.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Coach K is a con artist.

Look, Tatum by all accounts is a decent kid.  But his strength is a mid range game, and that is about it.  Will really struggle playing defense in the NBA.  Jackson will be able to step in day one. Jackson is better than Jaylen Brown now, whom I love.
We get that you're a fan of Jackson, but you don't have to be ridiculous. By no means is he better than Jaylen, and he's barely better than Tatum, if at all (which many people think he's not).

Jackson won't be able to step in day one because Stevens probably doesn't want to run a 4 man offence.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 11:03:42 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
Coach K also waxed poetic about justice Winslow and Jahlil Okafor.

He said Winslow was like Dwayne Wade and I'm pretty sure he said he was the best wing prospect he'd ever coached.

Winslow still can be ... These guys are only a year or two in the league and many dont really breakout until year 3-4.... I truly think Winslow is going to have a huge year

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Just heard an interview and just wanted to present a few points that he spoke of Tatum

- best scorer in the draft
- can be coached hard (tough skin)
- had a foot injury so did not see the full product
- has plenty room to grow (again easy to coach)
- defense is improving
- great kid (although he says that about 99% of his players)
 - ideal frame for an ideal scorer at the next level 6'8"
- Will be an All Star

Still would prefer a Butler trade but at #3 hope the C's go for Tatum
Where was the interview, I'd like to listen as well.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i d bet CBS spoke on the phone to Coach K. about Tatum.....CBS doing work . CBS has had a man crush on Tatum since day one ......could he surplant Hayward .....allow CBS to consider others.

Tatum has that build and skill set that looks like a natural NBA player .  He reminds me of Paul Pierce , probably very crafty and self confident .  Level headed team first player.  He should bulk up another 10-15 easy at his age .  Another young stud to lock on to Lebron .  Between Brown and Tatum and Crowder , Lebron will get no rest.

when i saw the first highlight video months ago , even though inwas a Ball / Fultz guy ,   i knew CBS and DA would both be over the top about him.   

if he is there , its a done deal......he ll fit fine with Smart , Horford , and and IT. 

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 11:06:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Coach K is a con artist.

We get that you're a fan of Jackson, but you don't have to be ridiculous. By no means is he better than Jaylen, and he's barely better than Tatum, if at all (which many people think he's not).

Jackson won't be able to step in day one because Stevens probably doesn't want to run a 4 man offence.

Is my preference for Jackson that obvious? LOL.

Time will tell, but I think if we draft him, Stevens will love him, and want to get him a lot of minutes. Not starting, but a lot.  Brown's and Smart's lack of offensive repertoire did not hurt their minutes as rookies.  This team's culture starts with defense, and if you don't understand how vastly superior Jackson is to Tatum in that realm, I give up.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:05 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Coach K is a con artist.

2 things
1. I think Tatum and Jackson are very close right now. Both terrific college players who have some questions about just how well they are gonna be able to translate to the NBA.  Neither are likely to be better than Brown who made a ton of improvement in the last year and was probably a bit underrated coming out of Cal

2. Disagree here. Jackson is a good passer, moves well without the ball and is a willing shooter.

Obviously his athleticism, defensive aptitude and iq and compete level will make him a NBA level defender quickly.

I get that he's a bad shooter but there is more to offense. Jackson would get minutes immediately.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Coach K is a con artist.

Is my preference for Jackson that obvious? LOL.

Time will tell, but I think if we draft him, Stevens will love him, and want to get him a lot of minutes. Not starting, but a lot.  Brown's and Smart's lack of offensive repertoire did not hurt their minutes as rookies.  This team's culture starts with defense, and if you don't understand how vastly superior Jackson is to Tatum in that realm, I give up.

I do not like the fact he is afraid to compete for minutes in Boston. And his offensive limitations hurt him. His poor jump shot makes it easy to defend him..that is a problem.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 11:16:37 AM »

Offline Raul C

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I don't know what else we'd expect him to say.