Author Topic: Smokescreens: It's Isaac Ainge Covets  (Read 6784 times)

Re: Smokescreens: It's Isaac Ainge Covets
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:07 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think this is very possible. If you think Phoenix definitely won't take him, I think a trade with Sac for 5 and 10 is a no brainer.

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm beginning to believe this is the guy.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 10:10:10 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Taking a guy at 3 that you can get at 6 would be dumb IMO. Isaac does not add a whole lot offensively to this team. He would not score much from outside which is needed. He is also thin and would have struggle guarding the post.

I actually think he was a disappointment at FSU. Struggled to score more than not and barely averaged 12 points. He is a very very very poorman's KD. Boston can do better

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 10:17:32 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I could get onboard with this pick. I couldn't help but notice him owning Jayson Tatum in the Draft Express video highlights.

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
No you can't get him at #6 because those other teams expect him to be there at 6. I think teams see him as a KG\Porzingis type. He's long, good skills, good defender and plays hard...he's not done growing.

I would rather reach for a guy and have him be great than to pass on him. I don't see bust on him so taking him a few picks earlier to make sure you get him is good. Who's to say Ainge grabs him and then works another deal with one of those teams if they're desperate.

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Taking a guy at 3 that you can get at 6 would be dumb IMO. Isaac does not add a whole lot offensively to this team. He would not score much from outside which is needed. He is also thin and would have struggle guarding the post.

I actually think he was a disappointment at FSU. Struggled to score more than not and barely averaged 12 points. He is a very very very poorman's KD. Boston can do better
I disagree with your assessment of Isaac. He was incredibly efficient, shooting 51% from the field, 35% from deep and 78% from the line. Not much more you can ask from for a 6'10 power forward. He was also the second option to Dwayne Bacon, which is why his usage rate was so low, and hence his points scored.

He's quite a solid rebounder, averaging 12 per40, which would be very helpful on this team. He's also a very solid and versatile defender, especially on the perimeter. No longer would we be burned by big men who can shoot (i.e. Love, Morris etc.), as Horford and AJ wouldn't be needed out there any longer.

He might not have had the best college season, but is upside is very high, and he should be quite serviceable from the start.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 10:25:14 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
What would Red do in this situation?

Guess is Ainge will do it to...
In the world of "bigs" Red (like any other evaluator) wanted a couple things.

Defense--Not over the top, but a healthy defensive attitude from the player. Focus on his man. Good motor. Willingness and timing to leave his feet. A player who will commit to defense. Not that common if you study the league now, lot of bigs "look"  like they are trying. Accurately reacts to the loose ball/rebound as body control is efficient.

Offense--Can hit a shot from the outside. Has efficient natural shooting form. Can rise in close and make the j. Doesn't freeze up at the FT line. Has the footwork and acceleration to help his team up the court on the break. Natural body control has him ready to plant, receive and shoot in minimum amount of time.

"Willingness"

There is a lot to be said of this trait in a big man. It is hard to haul around a giant body.

Red had Russell, Cowens and Parish. Ainge had Garnett. Each of them, in their own way, were "willing" to commit on defense and had offensive skills in balance.

If Ainge sees any of this potential in Isaac? He will take him.

My view isn't worth much, but, Isaac hustles. He moves quickly and efficiently for a big, but still, it his desire that shows through. Thomas, Bradley and Smart "try" their butts off. It's what makes them good.

Whether he's another big that doesn't translate to the NBA or a top player can only be discovered when he is up against top competition and that level isn't found at the college level.

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have got Isaac as the 8th best prospect after Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, Fox, Smith and Monk. 3 is way to high for this kid. He will be positionless until he can gain 20 pounds of muscle and be able to play the PF position. He just doesn't have the tools to play the three effectively in the Association and he doesn't have the body to play PF yet. He is at least 3 years away from contributing on a good team like the Celtics. No way Danny is picking him third

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I just think you can get him at 6 or 7...if that is the target move down even more. Taking him at 3 is a reach. I believe the first five off the board in some order will be Fultz, Jackson, Ball, Tatum and Fox...Boston could easily nab him at 5 or 6

Nick sums it up perfectly. He has a long way to go to be a solid rotational guy..

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 10:42:13 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
OK. I may have to admit that I might be a little too easily swayed, but watching that draft express clip of Isaac has me almost sold on taking him over Tatum. At least if his name was called I wouldn't be too upset over it. I fell in love with the kids footwork and hustle defensively on the perimeter. His active movement defensively shows a desire to play great defense and the ability to switch onto smaller players off the pick and roll. His offense was much smoother than I remember and looks to be able to knock down threes. At his height, he could be a great rebounding and defensive option for us with some solid offensive upside. If that kid can put on 25 lbs of muscle he could be very dangerous. Get KG in the building with him and start him off right and we could be looking at a perennial all-star. I was impressed.

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I disagree with your assessment of Isaac. He was incredibly efficient, shooting 51% from the field, 35% from deep and 78% from the line. Not much more you can ask from for a 6'10 power forward. He was also the second option to Dwayne Bacon, which is why his usage rate was so low, and hence his points scored.

He's quite a solid rebounder, averaging 12 per40, which would be very helpful on this team. He's also a very solid and versatile defender, especially on the perimeter. No longer would we be burned by big men who can shoot (i.e. Love, Morris etc.), as Horford and AJ wouldn't be needed out there any longer.

He might not have had the best college season, but is upside is very high, and he should be quite serviceable from the start.
because as we all know, nothing is more important than Bacon!!

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:50 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I would prefer him being picked over Jackson.

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
im feel confident Isaac beats out Ball on te Celtic board .

i wanted Fultz , then Jackson , Tatum , Isaac , Fox, Ball

when try and think like DA and CBS ...the order swings around

If Ball had shown interest in Boston at all .....he might have been in serious consideration, obviously his father hates Boston as most CA do.   They were so cold .

Tatum Jackson tie .....then Issac , Ball .

I think there is something , maybe medical that worries the Celtics. about Fultz .  Things only they share between the FO.

id be happy with Issac.

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
im feel confident Isaac beats out Ball on te Celtic board .

i wanted Fultz , then Jackson , Tatum , Isaac , Fox, Ball

when try and think like DA and CBS ...the order swings around

If Ball had shown interest in Boston at all .....he might have been in serious consideration, obviously his father hates Boston as most CA do.   They were so cold .

Tatum Jackson tie .....then Issac , Ball .

I think there is something , maybe medical that worries the Celtics. about Fultz .  Things only they share between the FO.

id be happy with Issac.
Hmmm...could be the knee, but I think it's something between the ears...killer instinct & ability to operate under pressure...his body language was not good in that youtube interview with the top 5 draftees...he kept rubbing his hands, right in front where everyone could see how nervous he was.  Somebody forgot to coach him before going in front of the camera.  His comments were not very insightful, another reflection of caving under pressure.

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 12:26:34 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Isaac would be a good pick for them--if they are keeping it. I think the tip-off will be if they go for the scorer, Tatum. That may indicate they aren't sure about Hayward. If they know they have Hayward, they'll go for Jackson or Isaacs. I feel Isaacs, if he develops, is the type of player they must have to win a championship. Because they usually have one like him when they do win. The big guy who can defend and rebound.  He's a kid with today's super athletic body. The counter to Kounmpo et al.  He just needs to get stronger, and sharpen up his tools.

You have to wonder if they'll ever get Butler. That Bulls GM is unpredictable. He might never trade him.