Author Topic: Smokescreens: It's Isaac Ainge Covets  (Read 6787 times)

Smokescreens: It's Isaac Ainge Covets
« on: June 20, 2017, 04:35:17 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Hear me out on this, it's a pretty whacky theory but it makes a tonne of sense if you are looking through the smokescreens.

I first heard this theory on the CLNS broadcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6TrRTpr8E

and the more I thought about it, it makes a ton of sense.

What is the one name we haven't heard associated with the Celtics? We've heard Tatum, Jackson.

Think about it, would Jackson or Tatum start next year?

Where is the Celtics biggest weakness: Rebounding and interior presence, and that's where Isaac excels.

We never heard Jaylen Brown's name associated with the Celtics once last year and sure enough, he was the pick.

What did Ainge and Brad say that Brown's key strength was: defensive versatility.

Who has the most defensive versatility in the draft, who can guard 1-5's who can also be on the floor when Brad wants to play 5 out and hit open 3's. Who can help fix the rebounding issues?

Who has a chance to start from day 1, especially with Olynk, Amir, and Zeller being free agents?

Who's advanced analytics, put him in the same category as Draymond.

Who would Ainge be sure to be there at 3? there is a conceivable world where the Lakers could take Tatum or Jackson.

We hear that Jackson is the most "Ainge player in the draft" actually it could be Isaac if you are talking about long competitors that are two-way players and can switch onto everyone whilst still having an outside shot.

Who fills the biggest need. It's Issac

Before you comment, view that tape

http://www.draftexpress.com/video/12796/ and imagine this guy starting from day 1 in the Amir Johnson slot and splitting 20 mins a night with Zizic

I should also say that, I think option A for Danny is trading 3 for a Butler type, however if he keeps the pick Isaac could well be the guy selected.

Re: Smokescreens: It's Isaac Ainge Covets
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 04:45:14 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
It's definitely Isaac or Tatum in my mind. Ainge has talked about adding scorers as well so I wouldn't scratch off Tatum.

The Lakers aren't taking Tatum at 2 so both are going to be available. Also we've heard the rumours of the Suns and Kings wanting to secure one of Jackson/Ball at 3. There were previous noises of Sac wanting to move up to secure Fox as the Suns are keen on him.

There is a very good chance that both Isaac and Tatum are available at 5 if we trade down.

Fultz, Jackson, Ball as the top 3 and Fox at 4. Even though the Suns have Bledsoe I think they'd move him to make room for Fox.

I'm pretty confident we'll move down again and get 'our guy'. The only way we'd stay at 3 is if our guy is Jackson.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:15:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Could be possible, I suppose.  Ainge usually never shows his hand.

Where is the Celtics biggest weakness:

Scoring.  We can win a game getting outrebounded, we can't win a game where we get outscored.

Usually most GMs draft BPA, not by need, this is not NBA live.

Isaac has great metrics.   But if we take him he will have to be locked in the weight gym for a few years until he becomes useful.   Durant was a little heavier not much.  220 vs. 210.. Ainge wanted Durant and this kid is like a Durant lite so it is feasible.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 06:39:30 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yeah it's definitely a reasonable theory. I share pretty much the same sentiments as you. Stevens wants defenders. Ainge wants size.
They both want shooters. This guy screams versatility and he has the inside/midrange post game thats somewhat of a lost art/skill in the NBA ala KG.
Tatum has great footwork but won't be able to defend shooting guards or PFs.
Jackson can defend multiple positions but his jumpshot is a screaming red flag.

I still think the pick is being traded but I'd be very happy with issac too.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 06:48:03 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
This guy seems ideal to guard stretch 4's if he puts on some weight.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 07:05:30 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The theory makes sense, and you can take that a step further.

The trade gave the Celtics 2 potential shots at a really good big man in the 2018 draft which is supposed to be the best big man draft in a long time.

Taken together, Isaac and 2018 big man shore up the front court in a significant way which IMO is the biggest need (not shooting, Celtics4ever).  There were times in the playoffs where the Celtics didn't even look like they were a real NBA team on the boards, protecting the paint and defending bigger guys.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:17:54 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 07:37:58 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Obviously Jimmer IS the smoke
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
With 2 potential top 5 picks next year, why draft Isaac when we have the possibility to get one of Porter, Ayton, Bamba who all project to be better. 

If it's not traded, I think it'll be Tatum or Jackson.  I just hope Danny doesn't do something even crazier and select Fox or D. Smith.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:16:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
With 2 potential top 5 picks next year, why draft Isaac when we have the possibility to get one of Porter, Ayton, Bamba who all project to be better. 

If it's not traded, I think it'll be Tatum or Jackson.  I just hope Danny doesn't do something even crazier and select Fox or D. Smith.
Simple answer.  This gives Ainge 3 "shots on goal" at a really good big man.

I really should have made a whole thread using my hockey analogy "shots on goal".   ::)

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 08:41:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Will Isaac ever create offense against nba defenders?

How good a player is he if it turns out he's only a mediocre spot up three point shooter?

Isnt he just a defensive role player in that case, and don't we have enough of those?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 08:46:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If the pick isn't used in a trade for Butler (or god forbid, George), I think it's either Jackson (athletic type with a high motor Danny and Brad seem to really like) or Tatum (kid has offensive skills which we need but rest of game needs work) but Isaac wouldn't be a complete surprise --> provided Danny slid back to #4 or #5 to pick him while getting yet more assets. 

Most commentary is that Isaac projects to be a solid defender and rebounder provided he beefs up a bit but his offense may not develop to more than what Zeller currently provides.  I'm not sure that's who I'd be 'happy' with Danny picking at #3.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 09:06:19 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
If the pick isn't used in a trade for Butler (or god forbid, George), I think it's either Jackson (athletic type with a high motor Danny and Brad seem to really like) or Tatum (kid has offensive skills which we need but rest of game needs work) but Isaac wouldn't be a complete surprise --> provided Danny slid back to #4 or #5 to pick him while getting yet more assets. 

Most commentary is that Isaac projects to be a solid defender and rebounder provided he beefs up a bit but his offense may not develop to more than what Zeller currently provides.  I'm not sure that's who I'd be 'happy' with Danny picking at #3.
This is the part that I'm not fully on-board with yet.  I think Ainge should pick the player he likes best in the long run, even if he can't squeeze out another asset from Phoenix or SAC.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Isaac is a long way from being NBA rotation ready. He is raw, has no real position and is very thin. He would get killed around the rim.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

This is the part that I'm not fully on-board with yet.  I think Ainge should pick the player he likes best in the long run, even if he can't squeeze out another asset from Phoenix or SAC.
he likely will but Isaac is a bit of a reach at 3.  I would think Danny's doing everything he can to slide back as far as he can and still have comfort his guy will be available while still picking up more assets. 

If he wants Jackson or Tatum, #3 may be as far as he can slide.  if we wants Isaac, he should be talking to Phx and Sac for deal.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 09:45:03 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Good head to head comparison of Isaac and Tatum.  For this team I think Isaac is our man.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2712428.amp.html