Author Topic: Stein: Cavs trying to assemble a multi-team deal that lands Butler in Cleveland  (Read 24830 times)

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well, the Butler chase starting to make more sense:

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/tracking-the-latest-paul-george-trade-rumors/

On Chris Mannix’s NBC Sports Radio show, Adrian Wojnarowski said that Paul George’s camp is informing teams that he is not going to re-sign with anyone, regardless of who trades for him. He is fully intending to sign with the Lakers in free agency next summer without them giving up substantial assets. The Pacers are calling teams to see what they can get for him but other teams are trying to determine how much is worthwhile to give up.

So much for George wanting to "win."  ::)  If that's the case and he only wants to play for the lottery-bound second worst team in the league, then he's not Celtics material anyways.

Anyone else think this is kind of crappy on George's part? He's completely throwing Indy under the bus here. Granted, they should've seen this coming at the deadline and dealt him then, but him essentially refusing to be traded anywhere but LA at the last minute is pretty much a big "F you!" to Indy.

If I was them, I'd threaten to keep him all year and hardly play him. He can take the Keith Bogans route and just get paid to sit at home for all I care if LA is only going to offer pennies on the dollar for him and he kills any other trade scenario. Make them give up at least something of value; otherwise, PG can waste a year of his prime not playing if he wants to throw the organization under the bus like this.

Yea that's pretty bad! I've lost all respect for PG. Hope he goes to LA and the team sucks forever!

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/tracking-the-latest-paul-george-trade-rumors/

On Chris Mannix’s NBC Sports Radio show, Adrian Wojnarowski said that Paul George’s camp is informing teams that he is not going to re-sign with anyone, regardless of who trades for him. He is fully intending to sign with the Lakers in free agency next summer without them giving up substantial assets. The Pacers are calling teams to see what they can get for him but other teams are trying to determine how much is worthwhile to give up.

So much for George wanting to "win."  ::)  If that's the case and he only wants to play for the lottery-bound second worst team in the league, then he's not Celtics material anyways.

Anyone else think this is kind of crappy on George's part? He's completely throwing Indy under the bus here. Granted, they should've seen this coming at the deadline and dealt him then, but him essentially refusing to be traded anywhere but LA at the last minute is pretty much a big "F you!" to Indy.

If I was them, I'd threaten to keep him all year and hardly play him. He can take the Keith Bogans route and just get paid to sit at home for all I care if LA is only going to offer pennies on the dollar for him and he kills any other trade scenario. Make them give up at least something of value; otherwise, PG can waste a year of his prime not playing if he wants to throw the organization under the bus like this.

Agreed. By making it publicly know that he's going to LA in 2018 no matter what, he has very little trade value now for the Pacers. Unless he feels like the Pacers really wronged him at some point, I think he's handled this situation very poorly.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I've never seen a player so hellbent on signing with a garbage team.

Yea it's spooky! Guess he thinks Lebron will go with him but Lebron will be a year older and they still wont beat GSW unless their young players really pan out.

LA would have to do a ton of moves to have room for both George and Lebron next summer. He's not going there. Hell, they won't even make the playoffs this year even if they get George for nothing!

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He isn't throwing Indy under the bus. He's giving Indy a chance to trade him for something before he bolts and Indy gets nothing. How is letting Indy know he is leaving throwing them under a bus?

Paul George’s camp is informing teams that he is not going to re-sign with anyone, regardless of who trades for him. He is fully intending to sign with the Lakers in free agency next summer without them giving up substantial assets.

That's like the literal definition of PG throwing Indy under the bus in this situation. He doesn't want LA to give up any substantial assets in a trade for him, so he's killing any other trade possibility.

He's not giving Indy any chance whatsoever at this point, i.e. throwing them under the bus.
where does it say "He doesn't want LA to give up any substantial assets in a trade"

I've not seen that anywhere.

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78

That's a shame. It's also not exactly the classiest thing to do to the Pacers, because his trade value now plummets even further. Maybe he has some bad blood toward the Indiana front office? If I'm the Celtics, I'd still consider making a move for him, but the offer won't be anything close to what it once would have been.

I wouldn't give the Pacers a bag of balls for George now...it'll be interesting to see if any teams will give more.

Rak

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
The Pacers should just bench him all year. That's what I would do.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Yea it's spooky! Guess he thinks Lebron will go with him but Lebron will be a year older and they still wont beat GSW unless their young players really pan out.

LA would have to do a ton of moves to have room for both George and Lebron next summer. He's not going there. Hell, they won't even make the playoffs this year even if they get George for nothing!

Yeah Lebron will be really old by 2018-2019. I think he could be like the 25th best player instead of the top 3 he is now. They will need a lot more than George, Old Lebron, Russell, Ingram and Ball to be competitive in my opinion.

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
If it is a three team trade for Cleveland getting Butler and assuming the Bulls want more than Love is there a possibility that Cleveland deals both Love and Thompson to two different teams? I do not see anyone else on there roster as much value.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I haven't completely given up on the Butler-in-Green dream, but I'm growing more pessimistic each day.

While I like Butler and would be pleased to see him come to Boston, I think George is both a better player and a better fit with the Celtics. I don't know that Butler moves the needle enough - compared to what we already have both in draft assets and current players - to justify what we'd have to give up in order to get him.

I said this in another post, I think they're both game changers but this board really underrates just how good Jimmy Butler is. Paul gets a lot more recognition based on his name but Jimmy is level with him at this point in their careers. The one think Paul goes better is shoot from 3, but Jimmy's become passable there shooting a career high 37% last season. Rebounding is a draw and Jimmy's a better assists guy.

Again, I think they're both game changers, but there's a reason Butler made the All-NBA team this year and PG didn't. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:40:50 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
For the Celtics, why not jump in and take back Love for some of our lesser picks?

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
He isn't throwing Indy under the bus. He's giving Indy a chance to trade him for something before he bolts and Indy gets nothing. How is letting Indy know he is leaving throwing them under a bus?

Paul George’s camp is informing teams that he is not going to re-sign with anyone, regardless of who trades for him. He is fully intending to sign with the Lakers in free agency next summer without them giving up substantial assets.

That's like the literal definition of PG throwing Indy under the bus in this situation. He doesn't want LA to give up any substantial assets in a trade for him, so he's killing any other trade possibility.

He's not giving Indy any chance whatsoever at this point, i.e. throwing them under the bus.
where does it say "He doesn't want LA to give up any substantial assets in a trade"

I've not seen that anywhere.

It's from Woj on The Vertical podcast, I believe. Here's the link I provided: http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/tracking-the-latest-paul-george-trade-rumors/.

Now George's camp is telling teams that, because at this point he doesn't want to take the chance of being wooed elsewhere, for whatever reason. But it still seems unlikely to me that he would actually walk away from a true title contender to a lottery-bound team in the West where there's no chance of them competing anytime soon.

I'd still bet that Cleveland would take a chance on him anyways. Why not? Lebron is probably gone next year anyways if you don't do anything, so why not take that chance?

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
For the Celtics, why not jump in and take back Love for some of our lesser picks?

1.) I have concerns about a Kevin Love-Al Horford pairing defensively. Offensively they'd probably be great, but they couldn't guard a chair. There's too much finesse there, we need someone to do the dirty work up front with Horford.

2.) I don't want to help the Cavs get better. I certainly don't want to help them become a team we can't beat - we already don't have anyone that can stay with Lebron, whose gonna defend Lebron and PG on the perimeter?

3.) We've already given Philly their man in Fultz. Can we chill on the charity for awhile?
2021 Houston Rockets

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Right? I still find it hard to believe that he wouldn't entertain re-signing with Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio level teams, but it is a concerning and bizarre report.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Right? I still find it hard to believe that he wouldn't entertain re-signing with Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio level teams, but it is a concerning and bizarre report.

Welp, adios and good riddance. Let him waste his prime in LA as an 8-seed getting drilled by the Warriors.

Paul George is dead to me. Long Live Jimmy Butler*!

*unless Butler is traded somewhere else
2021 Houston Rockets

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
What if we were able to flip #3 for #5 and #10, take Jayson Tatum who may very well be the guy we wanted all along then flip #10 and Avery Bradley for Paul George? We will likely be forced to lose Bradley anyway due to tax concerns and George cant be worth much more than the 10th pick at this point. This is all dependent on Tatum getting past the suns at 4 (and being the guy the Celtics want).