Author Topic: Stein: Cavs trying to assemble a multi-team deal that lands Butler in Cleveland  (Read 24911 times)

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Desperation is a stinky cologne.

If a third team is sufficiently high on Love or Irving, I think it could be done.

I doubt the Cavs would give up Irving for Butler. Why bother? He'd only be an upgrade over Love. Move Lebron to pf keep TT at the 5

I think Butler's a lot better than Kyrie in a vacuum, but Kyrie might be a better fit. To be frank, Butler's not a particularly good fit next to Bron at all.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The asset worthwhile for the Pacers is Love. and 2021 pick

But Pacers don't want Love, if this makes sense.  So some kind of three way trade in order

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Wouldn't the Celtics be a good fit in any 3 team deal?

Celtics get Love
Cavs get Butler or George
Bulls/Pacers get picks and players (AB/Crowder)

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Celtics get Love

They would be if Love is still a target for DA

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Celtics get Love

I don't think Horford and Love can play together.

Great words from a great man

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Celtics get Love

They'd be an incredible offensive duo. They would also struggle to stop a chipmunk.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:36:21 PM by max215 »

DKC Clippers

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Celtics get Love

Both big guys that can spread the court and pass, Love can rebound too.

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I'm not sure Danny is interested enough in Love to trade high value picks, but he could most definitely play alongside Horford in Brad's system. Love can flat out shoot, which is exactly what the Celts are looking for in a big. He is also a plus rebounder, something the Celts need. He's not a great defender, which is a big problem, but Horford could perhaps help with that.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Celtics get Love

We only give up the 3rd pick, other teams give up other FUTURE picks. Then we flip Love and the rest of our picks to NO for AD.

Then NO has an allstar to team up with Cousins and picks to build around them.

Wont happen, but thats the only way I'd get involved helping the CAVS and having Love on his way here. Just a quick hope from Logan to NO.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Going to be difficult for the Cavs, I think I heard on Sirius the other day that they can't trade a pick until like 2021.

This is one of those things that might seem insignificant now, but could be huge in the future.  Just think about what a 2021 and beyond Cavs team will look like.

LeBron will be 37, and that's if he even chooses to stick around and not bolt to LA or somewhere else. 

2021 and beyond, the Cavs could be buried with terrible contracts for old players because they tried to appease LeBron from '18-'20.

Try to pull a Danny/Brooklyn type heist.  Take the Cavs 2021 and 2023 firsts, and the right to swap in 2022 and 2024.  Those could very well be gold.  Definitely not the Spurs organization we're talking about here.  The Lakers from '14 to now or Brooklyn from '16 to now, that's probably what Cleveland's going to look like then.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think Danny is done with love. It made sense a few years ago with rondo. Not anymore

Unless he can unload contracts with this move to get love.

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
Is it possible to trade picks that you've already traded?  Let me explain using the Cav's situation:

Outgoing Picks

2017 1st: to Portland
2019 1st (protected 1-10): to Atlanta
2020 1st (protected 1-10): to Atlanta if 2019 is not conveyed

Can Cav's re-trade their 2019 pick but this time protect it 11-30?  My thinking is they can squeeze an extra asset out of their current situation to try to land a Butler/George.  Not that a 2019 top 10 pick would secure one of those guys, but maybe a 3-way where it's used:

CLE in
Butler

CLE out
Love
2019 1st protected 11-30

CHI in
CLE 2019 1st protected 11-30
LAL 2018/SAC 2019 (or 3rd pick this year, whatever gets it done)
1 of Bradley, Crowder, Smart + salary filler (is just salary filler enough?)

CHI out
Butler

BOS in
Love

BOS out

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Going to be difficult for the Cavs, I think I heard on Sirius the other day that they can't trade a pick until like 2021.

This is one of those things that might seem insignificant now, but could be huge in the future.  Just think about what a 2021 and beyond Cavs team will look like.

LeBron will be 37, and that's if he even chooses to stick around and not bolt to LA or somewhere else. 

2021 and beyond, the Cavs could be buried with terrible contracts for old players because they tried to appease LeBron from '18-'20.

Try to pull a Danny/Brooklyn type heist.  Take the Cavs 2021 and 2023 firsts, and the right to swap in 2022 and 2024.  Those could very well be gold.  Definitely not the Spurs organization we're talking about here.  The Lakers from '14 to now or Brooklyn from '16 to now, that's probably what Cleveland's going to look like then.

I'm with you. If the Pacers can take 2-3 picks from Cleveland '21 and beyond those are pretty good assets. Though with Indiana being a small market can they afford to struggle from now till then?

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Is it possible to trade picks that you've already traded?  Let me explain using the Cav's situation:

Outgoing Picks

2017 1st: to Portland
2019 1st (protected 1-10): to Atlanta
2020 1st (protected 1-10): to Atlanta if 2019 is not conveyed

Can Cav's re-trade their 2019 pick but this time protect it 11-30?  My thinking is they can squeeze an extra asset out of their current situation to try to land a Butler/George.  Not that a 2019 top 10 pick would secure one of those guys, but maybe a 3-way where it's used:

CLE in
Butler

CLE out
Love
2019 1st protected 11-30

CHI in
CLE 2019 1st protected 11-30

CHI out
Butler

BOS in
Love

BOS out

Yes, they can trade that pick protected 11-30, but that would be tremendously risky.

DKC Clippers

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77

Outstanding point. I hadn't thought of that.