Author Topic: Daniel Theis?? A new Celtic  (Read 12283 times)

Re: Daniel Theis?? A new Celtic
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Source: Euroleague's Daniel Theis, a Bundesliga winner with Bamberg, is bound for Boston Celtics till 2019.

Reported by David Pick - reliable source
European "sources", reliable or not, do not understand (or choose to ignore) the concept of training camp contract with limited or no guarantees. You'll typically see European publications raising hell about player X being "[insert NBA team name here] bound", which in essence means he's received an invitation for Summer League team that obviously comes with some sort of contract. More often than not these guys don't even make it through to the second SL leg and get sent home, where there agents are able to milk this for a better contract.

So the fact that someone named Daniel Theis might be around in an unnamed jersey for several weeks this summer should cause you to lose no sleep whatsoever over his NBA prospects. I'd be shocked if he isn't back in Europe by the time October rolls around. That is all.

C'mon, Koz, don't be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV_o4xRJ-_4
Where's the fun in not being a party pooper? :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The video linked on the front page starts with him blocking three shots in a row on the same play, which made me feel pretty good until I realized the guy he was repeatedly stuffing was Zizic.

Lol
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 02:52:41 PM »

Offline Londongreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
is he "indestructible" ????

easier to get excited about these unknown foreign players if they have a cool nickname.

IDK for this guy,  "The Thesis" ??
haha
Crazy how Vitor Faverani had some great games for us but wouldn't get playing time the next game. I remember his 18 rebound game and twice with 6 blocks. Just shows what a big who can rebound and block could do in our system.

But on topic. This guy seems like a Zizic backup. Who will be backing up Horford. i.e. a G league guy.

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 02:53:36 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Source: Euroleague's Daniel Theis, a Bundesliga winner with Bamberg, is bound for Boston Celtics till 2019.

European "sources", reliable or not, do not understand (or choose to ignore) the concept of training camp contract with limited or no guarantees.

You don't seem to know David Pick or undervalue the good amount of good NBA reporters nowadays in European media. At least, I can talk about Spanish newspapers, where for example you can follow the draft live in some days with detailed analysis.

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
i just found this article. theis was the defensive player of the year for his league.

watch the first video. he completely owns zizic, completely.

his offense is put backs and 3s.

i love this guys hustle and hard, physical play. i have no idea whether he will make the team. but he looks to be a good, cheap bench player.

enjoy!

https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/6/19/15830506/report-boston-celtics-to-sign-daniel-theis-germany-bundesliga

Shot .410 on 3s last year but only 1.3 attempts... Looks like a cheap Amir replacement. Just under 1 steal, 1 block, 1 assist per game. AST-.8 STL-.6-BLK-.8. only played 19 minutes per game. Looks little like Willy Hernangomez...

are these stats from bundesliga or the euroleague?

Euroleague, isn't Bundesliga soccer?

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
i just found this article. theis was the defensive player of the year for his league.

i love this guys hustle and hard, physical play. i have no idea whether he will make the team. but he looks to be a good, cheap bench player.

enjoy!

https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/6/19/15830506/report-boston-celtics-to-sign-daniel-theis-germany-bundesliga

Shot .410 on 3s last year but only 1.3 attempts... Looks like a cheap Amir replacement. Just under 1 steal, 1 block, 1 assist per game. AST-.8 STL-.6-BLK-.8. only played 19 minutes per game. Looks little like Willy Hernangomez...

Bundesliga means "federal league" and tends to refer to just about any top level competition in Germany. The soccer one, of course, is most popular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_Bundesliga
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
From the replies in the same twitter:

"Center is nice. He plays Center with a PF skillset in a SF body...."

Kevin Durant?

in all honesty, looks like an ultra-cheap bench big... really clearing a lot of cap space here..
Little bit out of order for Durant....he plays small forward with a small forward & power forward skillset in a center's body.

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Theis looks tough like an MMA fighter...hmm.

"Hey Brad? We got a new guy from Germany."
Brad looks up..."Can he shoot threes?"
"Actually no, he never really takes them."
Brad..."I know what to do with him. We'll need a German translator to sit next to Walter on the bench.

"What's German for clothesline number 11 on the other team?"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:52:39 PM by tstorey_97 »

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2017, 03:52:57 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Nice, I'll take a big that likes to mix it up anytime!

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2017, 03:53:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
From the replies in the same twitter:

"Center is nice. He plays Center with a PF skillset in a SF body...."

Kevin Durant?

in all honesty, looks like an ultra-cheap bench big... really clearing a lot of cap space here..
Little bit out of order for Durant....he plays small forward with a small forward & power forward skillset in a center's body.
You realize this is just another way to say he's too short to play C and not skilled enough to play SF, right?

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

European "sources", reliable or not, do not understand (or choose to ignore) the concept of training camp contract with limited or no guarantees.

You don't seem to know David Pick or undervalue the good amount of good NBA reporters nowadays in European media. At least, I can talk about Spanish newspapers, where for example you can follow the draft live in some days with detailed analysis.
I've heard the name David Pick. I don't really care who he supposedly is -- anyone who's claiming that this guy is coming here to stay for 2 years is naive, clueless, or deliberately misleading. It's that simple.

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2017, 04:39:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

enjoy!

Bundesliga means "federal league" and tends to refer to just about any top level competition in Germany. The soccer one, of course, is most popular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_Bundesliga

OK thanks!

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
hopefully this means the end of Zeller, amir and mickey...

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I mean, we all wanted an end-of-the-bench big not named Tyler Zeller who can actually rebound right? Here he is.

Might also be a precursor to needing better roster depth after we swing a big trade.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Let's assume he's the next Dirk, until we know he isn't.