Author Topic: Iguodala to "seriously consider" leaving Warriors  (Read 2704 times)

Re: Iguodala to "seriously consider" leaving Warriors
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
This is an interesting tweet from Tim Kawikami who works for San Jose Mercury.

https://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/876831015821377536

https://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/876831189830557696

My point to @DannyLeroux on his podcast over the weekend: Is there a team with $18-20M in cap room that will give him 3-4 years?

If there is, Iguodala has to consider it. If not, he and his agent have to push the Warriors into giving up that third or fourth year.

It does beg the question, which team would be willing to give a 33 year old a 4 year / $80 million contract? Who has the cap room to do that and would be willing to take him for four years? If there is one, no question Iggy should take it.

But who? That's a lot of money to commit to a really good two-way player, but is older and might not even push the needle as far as competing. Or do you just pay him as sort of a mentor/player role?
For the reasons I mentioned in the other thread, I think that makes a lot of sense for Philly (though I'd push for 3 years, 60 million if I was them).  He played there for years so there is a comfort with the city.  The team is young and on the verge (if it can stay healthy, they might make the playoffs this season).  They need some solid veteran leadership.  He would be a starter as he is better than Covington and Henderson (who are currently projecting as the starters at the 2/3).  He would take some pressure defensively off of Fultz and Simmons/Saric.  And Philly has plenty of cap room and won't need to do a lot of major rookie signings for quite a few years (Embiid is due soon, but they have lots of time on Simmons, Saric, and Fultz).  Even if they renegotiate and extend Covington this summer, they still won't face much of a cap hit, though Iggy may allow them to let Covington walk as Iggy is just a better version of Covington anyway (though is obviously older, but it isn't like Covington is a core piece for them). 

Now Philly may go after KCP or some other young wing, but if not I think they might make a push for Iguodala.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip