Author Topic: Jonathan Isaac vs. Jayson Tatum  (Read 6258 times)

Re: Jonathan Isaac vs. Jayson Tatum
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i-m sold on tatum...he got offense, but with jackson we get more hustle and D, so tatum is a more logical choice.

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 03:52:11 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't get the continuous suggestions for Isaac by people. Woj already said its between Tatum and Jackson, no one else. If the suggestion is to trade down again,  it won't happen

Didn't he say we were drafting Dunn last year?  I don't recall any big name analysts pumping the Brown pick last year.  It was all about drafting Dunn and trading for Buttler or taking either Murray or Chris.  I think most of the time Danny picks people no one expects.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I've been on the Jackson train, but must say watching scout video of Isaac, he is compelling in meeting a need of ours. Seems like the prototype 3/4 that we lack.

Just wonder if he can contribute early. His numbers were disappointing at Florida State. Anyone watch a lot of their games care to weigh in?

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 08:34:01 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I think Tatum will impact winning in year 1 like JB did. He's not going to blow the doors off the place but find his roll and grow into it as season progresses.

Isaac is going to take a few years to impact winning in the NBA just because he's going to need time to put on mass. Turns 20 when the season starts.
ok fine

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
The more I here about Jackson the more I like Isaac and Tatum. If we can trade down and get Isaac or Tatum at 5 and get things 10th I say do it.

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I've been on the Jackson train, but must say watching scout video of Isaac, he is compelling in meeting a need of ours. Seems like the prototype 3/4 that we lack.

Just wonder if he can contribute early. His numbers were disappointing at Florida State. Anyone watch a lot of their games care to weigh in?

I have the ACC network as part of my Sling TV. I started watching a lot of FSU games last year but typically ended up changing the channel because of their style of play was so boring.  Isaac's usage wasn't what it could have been.  He defered a lot to his teammates.  It looked like the wanted to focus their offense on Bacon. They also had a bunch of Biggs and tried to play the whole team.  I think their coach went for complete team play over actually winning games even though they still won a bunch of games.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I saw a lot of his games. He was a beast before teams keyed in on him. After that he really struggled. But surprisingly he battled through it and began to do well again by end of the year. That adjustment shows he is a player that can learn and grow. Jarret Allen was another guy I watched closely. Allen also struggled a lot over the year but by end was pretty darn good. Top 10 picks Marrkanen, Tatum, Isaac, Monk, and Smith all showed growth over the year in their game. Top 10 picks Fultz, Jackson, Ball, and Fox really didn't change or add to their game so much they did their thing start to end, good and bad.

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 12:58:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I saw a lot of his games. He was a beast before teams keyed in on him. After that he really struggled. But surprisingly he battled through it and began to do well again by end of the year. That adjustment shows he is a player that can learn and grow. Jarret Allen was another guy I watched closely. Allen also struggled a lot over the year but by end was pretty darn good. Top 10 picks Marrkanen, Tatum, Isaac, Monk, and Smith all showed growth over the year in their game. Top 10 picks Fultz, Jackson, Ball, and Fox really didn't change or add to their game so much they did their thing start to end, good and bad.

TP thanks, that was helpful.  How did the other teams "key in on him"?

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I have the ACC network as part of my Sling TV. I started watching a lot of FSU games last year but typically ended up changing the channel because of their style of play was so boring.  Isaac's usage wasn't what it could have been.  He defered a lot to his teammates.  It looked like the wanted to focus their offense on Bacon. They also had a bunch of Biggs and tried to play the whole team.  I think their coach went for complete team play over actually winning games even though they still won a bunch of games.

Thanks TP

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 01:07:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

His numbers weren't great, but that is also in part due to Dwayne Bacon and his role as the #1 guy in the offence. Isaac's usage rate was quite low, which obviously impacted his ability to score. However his actual shot selection was very impressive, leading to him shooting over 50% from the field and 34% from deep. Plus, his free throw shooting is quite solid for a tall.

On the other end of the court, his defence was a real strong suit. He didn't have amazing stats, but his defensive impact was very impressive. This is in part due to his versatility, as he is very comfortable switching out onto perimeter players, and also in part due to his length, which helps him to challenge shots and poke the ball loose.

However, he does certainly need to put on 15-20lbs before he can be relied upon to defend 4's in the NBA. I still see him as a Cliff Robinson type, just with likely better rebounding (and less longevity  :P )
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

TP thanks, that was helpful.  How did the other teams "key in on him"?
They did it easily disappointingly. First they picked him up from three point line instead of sagging as well as closing out on jump shots. Then on pick and roll they got physical with him something that is allowed in college but not in Pros. Third was they shadowed guys in the paint as a second line of defense when he had the ball in iso forcing him to take long jumpers or sometimes forcing turn overs.

He adjusted by being less of the guy and working off second chance points or break downs. He basically hustled more off the ball for easier shots.