Author Topic: Jonathan Isaac vs. Jayson Tatum  (Read 6265 times)

Jonathan Isaac vs. Jayson Tatum
« on: June 18, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
So like everyone else I was all in on Fultz then that trade happened.  >:(

I will assume the consensus opinion is that Danny will take Jackson, but what if he doesn't like him as much as people think?

It is no secret that workouts are important to Stevens.  I think the workouts played a big part in tipping the scales in favor of Smart, Rozier, and Brown in their respective drafts.

Jackson and Ball have not worked out for Boston, but Tatum and Isaac have.  While there is speculation as to whether LA will go Ball or Jackson, it is a near lock that Tatum and Isaac are there at #3.

So lets say Danny and Brad like one of these two better than Fultz, after all they got to see them in work outs.  It was reported that Danny commented somewhat sarcastically on Futz working out alone,but I did see that Isaacs worked out against two other people. I don't know anything about Tatum's workout.  Rather than pick them #1 which is too high he trades back (still trying to accept it  :(  )

Here are some interesting links that help make the choice:

NBA Draft: What we learned from Jonathan Isaac vs. Jayson Tatum matchup
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nba-draft-what-we-learned-from-jonathan-isaac-vs-jayson-tatum-matchup/

Jonathan Isaac - 2017 Video Scouting Report
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVO3K370_-Q

Jayson Tatum - 2017 Video Scouting Report
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyfKAenMlPg

I always thought Isaac was a better shooter and defender, but now I actually think that both players are a lot more alike than I had though before watching the breakdowns.   I liked those videos more than the draft express videos because I think they are a bit more balanced.  With draft express I either end up thinking the guy is a lock for the HOF or a bust depending on if its a strength or weakness video.  Despite the flaws in Isaacs game, which were fairly similar to the flaws in Tatum's, I lean towards Isaacs because I think he has more potential than Tatum. 

Here is a link that talks about Isaac's potential:

Why 'mini Kevin Durant' Jonathan Isaac has the NBA Draft's highest ceiling
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/why-mini-kevin-durant-jonathan-isaac-has-the-nba-drafts-highest-ceiling/

Here is a link that talks about Isaac as the possible #3 pick:

Boston Celtics draft prospects: Making a case for Jonathan Isaac at No. 3
https://chowderandchampions.com/2017/06/18/boston-celtics-draft-prospects-making-a-case-for-jonathan-isaac-at-no-3/

So if there are no more trades I would take Isaac at #3, and hope for two of Porter, Ayton, and Bamba in 2018, what about you?

2018 linup could be:
PG: IT (?$)/ Smart
SG: Brown/ Rozier
SF: Hayward/ Isaac
PF: Horford/ Ayton
 C: Zizic/ Bamba

Re: Jonathan Isaac vs. Jayson Tatum
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 11:46:35 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I love Isaac, but comparing him to Kevin Durant is so unbelievably irresponsible. Isaac is a low-usage, do-it-all role player. He should be able to be absolutely elite defensively, elite on the boards, a capable catch-and-shoot threat in the half court, and a terror running the floor. He is NOT a take-over-the-game, impose-your-will superstar. If you insist on making an upside comparison, you're picking the wrong Warrior; Isaac is far more comparable, as a superstar role player, to Draymond Green than Kevin Durant. Also, anything by Reid Forgrave should be immediately disregarded as hot garbage.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 11:52:49 PM »

Offline Mempitt18

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 12:04:59 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Isaac reeks of glorified role-player.  He'll probably make substantial contributions to his team over the years, but he's not the elite prospect that you look for at the top of a strong draft.

I really hope Tatum is the pick.  I clearly dislike Duke, but would love to see Tatum in Boston.  Wonderful skillset and attitude with a ton of upside.  Good fit for the modern NBA.   
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:33:49 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I love Isaac, but comparing him to Kevin Durant is so unbelievably irresponsible. Isaac is a low-usage, do-it-all role player. He should be able to be absolutely elite defensively, elite on the boards, a capable catch-and-shoot threat in the half court, and a terror running the floor. He is NOT a take-over-the-game, impose-your-will superstar. If you insist on making an upside comparison, you're picking the wrong Warrior; Isaac is far more comparable, as a superstar role player, to Draymond Green than Kevin Durant. Also, anything by Reid Forgrave should be immediately disregarded as hot garbage.

A 6'11 Draymond Green, I'll take it!  ;D

If he ends up as Danilo Gallinari with lock down D that would be well worth the third pick.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:43:51 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Agree on both accounts.  I honestly have no idea who he is in terms of player comparisons, which I rarely do, anyway :-\, but I like that he rebounds, despite his frame, and it looks like he'll be able to bother a lot of people, defensively, which is also why I like him a lot.  I know he's raw, but at least his motor and defensive ability/fire would actually get him on the court during the year, lol, whereas Tatum looks like the classic Duke tweener, to me, and Isaac really bothered him when they matched up, iirc.  I just question how quick Tatum really is after scoring mostly against traditional power forwards at the college level, you know? 

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 02:27:46 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I don't get the continuous suggestions for Isaac by people. Woj already said its between Tatum and Jackson, no one else. If the suggestion is to trade down again,  it won't happen

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 03:00:28 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Name me one, just one, Duke boy drafted in the last 15 years who didn't underperform his draft position.

Coach K knows the college game inside out, he's great at finding players who look good in college and underpeform in the NBA.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 03:08:32 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Name me one, just one, Duke boy drafted in the last 15 years who didn't underperform his draft position.

Coach K knows the college game inside out, he's great at finding players who look good in college and underpeform in the NBA.
Irving and hood.

I personally think you can add Mason  Plumlee to that list but that's largely because I'm a big plumber fan.

Redick has also been about par for the 10th pick in the draft.

It's hardly an indictment on Duke that Jabari Parker's knees fell apart and I'm not ready to complete condemn justice Winslow yet... he's played like a season and a quarter he could easily turn into a solid starter which would be around what you expect for the 10th pick in the draft.

Oh and Seth curry and Luol deng too

So that's between 6 guys and you only wanted 1! We're cooking with gas over here!
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 03:19:00 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Irving and hood.

I personally think you can add Mason  Plumlee to that list but that's largely because I'm a big plumber fan.

It's hardly an indictment on Duke that Jabari Parker's knees fell apart and I'm not ready to complete condemn justice Winslow yet... he's played like a season and a quarter he could easily turn into a solid starter which would be around what you expect for the 10th pick in the draft.

So that's between 6 guys and you only wanted 1! We're cooking with gas over here!
Don't forget rivers he put up decent stats last year

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 03:20:01 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Irving and hood.

TP for Irving, who is nice, I'll give you that.
You also forgot JJ Reddick, who is still the best of the rest.

So yeah, doesn't change anything, average role players, one blind squirrel, massive underperformers who look better in college than the NBA.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:30:47 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 09:16:32 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Ainge should trade 3 for 5 and 10. 1 of these 2 will be available and select best player left at 10. He wins the draft if any of the top 4 slips.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 09:23:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Meh.

Tobias Harris or Farouq Aminu?

Im still wondering why we traded the pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 12:27:14 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Agree on both accounts.  I honestly have no idea who he is in terms of player comparisons, which I rarely do, anyway :-\, but I like that he rebounds, despite his frame, and it looks like he'll be able to bother a lot of people, defensively, which is also why I like him a lot.  I know he's raw, but at least his motor and defensive ability/fire would actually get him on the court during the year, lol, whereas Tatum looks like the classic Duke tweener, to me, and Isaac really bothered him when they matched up, iirc.  I just question how quick Tatum really is after scoring mostly against traditional power forwards at the college level, you know?

I absolutely understand that concern. However, Josh Jackson also did all of his scoring by virtue of taking advantage of his athletic advantage against traditional bigs, and he has no skill to fall back on. At least Tatum clearly has a diverse and advanced offensive skill set.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:33:11 PM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 12:36:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Meh.

Tobias Harris or Farouq Aminu?

Im still wondering why we traded the pick.
I'm trying to hype myself up over these prospects, but it sure is hard trying to get over Fultz.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)