Author Topic: What about George and..... CARMELO?!  (Read 1230 times)

What about George and..... CARMELO?!
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:39:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Think about it - if there's one way to have 4 max contracts, Carmelo Anthony works out to be the perfect 4th max contract, because he only has two years left on his contract (actually 1 with a contract option, which nobody assumes he'll exercise), meaning we'd only be carrying 4 max contracts in IT, George, Carmelo, and Horford for one year max before Carmelo expires. I think that's something that ownership would agree to.

Carmelo is also actually the perfect stretch 4 for us, too, especially with George not wanting to play up a spot. An IT, Brown, George, Melo, and Horford lineup is a legit title contender that could give both Cleveland and GS all they can handle.

The best part is it's actually not that difficult to get both of them, since they're both rumored to be decently cheap. Further, we could still technically not even lose the third pick in the draft, too.

Salaries for next year:

Anthony - $26, 243, 760

George - $19, 508, 958

Total - $45,752,718

By moving down, we have approximately $30M in cap space by renouncing all free agents, so we'd have to trade at least two players to get them. AB has been assumed to be the odd man out for awhile, and Crowder would also probably have to be included. But it's certainly doable:

Crowder - $6,796,117

Bradley - $8, 808, 989

Total - $15,605, 106

I think this even works if you include a bench big like O'Quinn to the mix, so if the trade went down somewhat as follows (or broke up into two different trades if need be):

Boston: George, Carmelo, O'Quinn

Indiana: Bradley, Boston 2018 1st (likely to be 27 or above), Memphis 2019 pick

New York: Crowder, LAC 2019 pick

That'd leave us with the following roster:

PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Brown, Smart
SF: George, Jackson/Tatum
PF: Carmelo, O'Quinn
C: Horford, Zizic

Now tell me, why would George walk away from such a roster to join the Lakers in 2018? I don't think he would, because this is a legit title contender that has to be considered the favorites in the East at least. I also think these trade proposals are plausible, because that's about the asking price for both of them.

Would you do this type of trade for George and Carmelo?

NOTE: I'm no cap expert, but I *believe* this works. The salaries match in the 150% rule, but I'm a little unsure of the matching salaries component for Indy/NY since it's a three-way trade. Any guidance would be appreciated. Whatever the case, I believe we're certainly capable of getting both of them regardless of whether we complete it in a three-way trade or two separate trades.

Re: What about George and..... CARMELO?!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If this worked salary wise (I'm no expert either) I would definitely be on board. Melo is a very solid rebounder and a matchup nightmare at PF. I feel as though all 3 of IT, PG and Melo would have to sacrifice a little bit of their own game for wins, but if they all did I would love this team.

I'd bank on this team beating Cleveland, and going as close as anyone that isn't a healthy SA with the Warriors.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Did you account for the trade kicker on Melos deal?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 10:53:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Did you account for the trade kicker on Melos deal?

Ah, I forgot all about that. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't kill the deal at all. Granted, I think that would probably push O'Quinn out of the trade, though, but that's not really a deal-breaker at all.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 11:24:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
NOTE: I'm no cap expert, but I *believe* this works. The salaries match in the 150% rule, but I'm a little unsure of the matching salaries component for Indy/NY since it's a three-way trade. Any guidance would be appreciated. Whatever the case, I believe we're certainly capable of getting both of them regardless of whether we complete it in a three-way trade or two separate trades.

Salty, any thoughts on the practicality of this deal? Does it work as I have it listed?