Author Topic: For all the Josh Jackson supporters....  (Read 21057 times)

Re: For all the Josh Jackson supporters....
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2017, 09:20:09 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Here's a solid write up about Jackson.

https://medium.com/@jzmazlish/age-josh-jackson-and-unexpected-development-158ed2c9a187

This to me is interesting.

Some scouting reports say otherwise, but there is little reason to believe Jackson is a truly elite defensive prospect. His competitiveness and defensive playmaking instincts are awesome, but he lacks length, strength, and awareness. Jackson’s skinny frame in conjunction with his relatively short (6'10) arms and not quite elite athleticism are a big deal. All of the great wing defenders in the league are long, strong, or athletic in a way Jackson is not.
That's what i see as well
I see elite athleticism and motor.  Love those two things.  I'm really bummed out by the short wingspan however.  He would be my clear number one if he had long arms.  I'm pretty sure I know why some posters are saying he doesn't have elite athleticism.  It's because his arms are short and he looks about just as high over rim as long armed guys like James Young can get.  But he explodes vertically and laterally on an elite level from what I can see.  In a fraction of a second his head is up at the rim.  He's one of the quickest, easiest leapers I've seen in a while.

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

https://medium.com/@jzmazlish/age-josh-jackson-and-unexpected-development-158ed2c9a187

Some scouting reports say otherwise, but there is little reason to believe Jackson is a truly elite defensive prospect. His competitiveness and defensive playmaking instincts are awesome, but he lacks length, strength, and awareness. Jackson’s skinny frame in conjunction with his relatively short (6'10) arms and not quite elite athleticism are a big deal. All of the great wing defenders in the league are long, strong, or athletic in a way Jackson is not.
I see elite athleticism and motor.  Love those two things.  I'm really bummed out by the short wingspan however.  He would be my clear number one if he had long arms.  I'm pretty sure I know why some posters are saying he doesn't have elite athleticism.  It's because his arms are short and he looks about just as high over rim as long armed guys like James Young can get.  But he explodes vertically and laterally on an elite level from what I can see.  In a fraction of a second his head is up at the rim.  He's one of the quickest, easiest leapers I've seen in a while.

You guys would have never drafted Kobe or Moses or Charles Barkley because he had short arms or small hands.

Stick with your day job.

Jackson plays long because he is so dang quick. Best athlete in the draft. He gets so much higher than James Young. I can believe that statement. Obsession with long arms, which are an asset but not determinative of anything, gets you to draft players like Young.

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2017, 11:04:22 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

What?!  The kid is freakishly athletic.  The definition of elite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebRxN_do7U8

Incredibly quick leaper.  Look how he's throwing it down from anywhere near the circle.  Doesn't even need a drop step, just rises up and mashes it.  Alley-oop windmills off the glass.  Blocking shots with quickness.  He's a better athlete than Jaylen Brown because of his quickness and ability to jump off of 1 or 2 legs.

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You guys would have never drafted Kobe or Moses or Charles Barkley because he had short arms or small hands.

Stick with your day job.

Jackson plays long because he is so dang quick. Best athlete in the draft. He gets so much higher than James Young. I can believe that statement. Obsession with long arms, which are an asset but not determinative of anything, gets you to draft players like Young.
Wrong.

He's a great athlete, but that's not really true at all. Of the top picks he's probably the best athlete, unless you count Fox as a top pick. But he's definitely not the best athlete in the entire draft.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Stick with your day job.

Wrong.

He's a great athlete, but that's not really true at all. Of the top picks he's probably the best athlete, unless you count Fox as a top pick. But he's definitely not the best athlete in the entire draft.
Fox is quicker, Smith is a better leaper.  We get it.  But Jackson at 6'8" is in the conversation.

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Stick with your day job.

Wrong.

Fox is quicker, Smith is a better leaper.  We get it.  But Jackson at 6'8" is in the conversation.
To be honest, the guys I were thinking were more the Donovan Mitchell / Terrence Ferguson types.
But Jackson is still a great athlete for sure. I'm just not sure whether it's as elite as it's being made out to be.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Jackson being undersold here.  His jumper absolutely needs work.  But everything else about his offense is pretty dang good.  He actually has some point forward potential.  Can handle the ball pretty well, is a good passer, can get to the rim and finish with authority.  On the defensive side he's a 6'7" Avery Bradley.  Is he an isolation scorer?  Probably not but he'll score plenty of points.  Plus, he fits in seamlessly because he doesn't demand the ball and is a willing passer.

The issue, of course, is that the lakers could steal him.  That's the part I'm hating the most right now.

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:26 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Jackson being undersold here.  His jumper absolutely needs work.  But everything else about his offense is pretty dang good.  He actually has some point forward potential.  Can handle the ball pretty well, is a good passer, can get to the rim and finish with authority.  On the defensive side he's a 6'7" Avery Bradley.  Is he an isolation scorer?  Probably not but he'll score plenty of points.  Plus, he fits in seamlessly because he doesn't demand the ball and is a willing passer.

The issue, of course, is that the lakers could steal him. That's the part I'm hating the most right now.
Which means Ball is there at #3 and Ainge apparently doesn't want another point guard.  Suns don't want him at #4 either with their sights set on Fox.  The Ball dropping on draft night and Lavar's expressions would be priceless.   ;)

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Not a good shooter
Not good handles
Off court issues.

A notch better then obre from the wiz IMO. Just nothing about him screams elite. Dislike him

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not a good shooter
Not good handles
Off court issues.

A notch better then obre from the wiz IMO. Just nothing about him screams elite. Dislike him

What about his elite explosivess, passing, defense and high bbiq?

Is that worth nothing to you?

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If IT4 is going nowhere...Jackson fits nicely

His defense can cover for IT4. Doesnt need the ball in his hands to be effective

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Not a good shooter
Not good handles
Off court issues.

Kansas lost in the 1st round of the big12 tourney because Jackson was absent

He was the heart of that team

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2017, 12:12:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Not a good shooter
Not good handles
Off court issues.

Kansas lost in the 1st round of the big12 tourney because Jackson was absent

He was the heart of that team
He was more efficient scoring the basketball than tatum (who I really like a lot) and his per 40 numbers actually matchup decently with Fultz
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Disgree

Yes some of those points are valid..but this scout is pretty much describing Lebron or Durant or Leonard.

Butler has a short wingspan. Wiggins is weak. 

Jackson has a 40 plus inch vertical and elite 2nd jump to make up for his averag wingspan. Jackson strength is underrated. He was playing PF last season and was not outmuscled.   He is wiry strong.  Definitely needs to add more mass though to prepare for the nba

Defensive awareness?  .. this scout has no idea what he is talking about regarding this aspect of Jacksons game. Look at his steals numbers. Also he rarely got beat on backdoor/pnr plays
JJ is a elite athlete and even better leaper yes but that's not enough
NBA won't allow him to dunk and drive-finish like he did in the college
If only he can learn and willing to draw fouls like butler then he will be a star, but if not...

also is there a video shows how good he is in defensive awareness?

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2017, 12:39:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Disgree

Yes some of those points are valid..but this scout is pretty much describing Lebron or Durant or Leonard.

Butler has a short wingspan. Wiggins is weak. 

Jackson has a 40 plus inch vertical and elite 2nd jump to make up for his averag wingspan. Jackson strength is underrated. He was playing PF last season and was not outmuscled.   He is wiry strong.  Definitely needs to add more mass though to prepare for the nba

Defensive awareness?  .. this scout has no idea what he is talking about regarding this aspect of Jacksons game. Look at his steals numbers. Also he rarely got beat on backdoor/pnr plays
JJ is a elite athlete and even better leaper yes but that's not enough
NBA won't allow him to dunk and drive-finish like he did in the college
If only he can learn and willing to draw fouls like butler then he will be a star, but if not...

also is there a video shows how good he is in defensive awareness?

Explain then Jaylen Brown performance last season. How many plays did he have near the basket? Plus transition dunks

Jackson is a similar athlete with a higher iq.