Author Topic: For all the Josh Jackson supporters....  (Read 21060 times)

For all the Josh Jackson supporters....
« on: June 18, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Why do u want him?

In all seriousness, if our biggest flaw is scoring and offensive production with and without IT on the floor, how does he help?

If u look at his shot chart, it's not encouraging.

http://nbadraft.theringer.com/?list=kevin

All I've been hearing about is.....

Defense, high motor, hustler, dirt dog, "winning mentality" (whatever that means), intangibles, etc.

None of these traits helps us score when we desperately need a bucket.  His "great" defense only means the Cavs and GSW destroy us by 15-20 pts instead of 20-30. 

Just wondering why we need another 6'8" Marcus Smart when we already have a 6'7" one already (Jaylen)?

Re: For all the Josh Jackson supporters....
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:45:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Presumably you answer the scoring questions in other areas.

Simple as that. It's not hard to figure out how a good basketball player helps your team. Jackson is very athletic, he's a versatile defender, he has a very high basketball iq, and if he develops a jumper(unlikely) he's a star.

Versatile wings is a good place to have multiple guys. Jaylen projects as a better scorer and shooter, Jackson should be better at everything else.

I wouldn't mind Tatum either. Preferred fultz but dont think this trade is nearly as apocalyptic as many are making it out to be.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:52:59 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum

Simple as that. It's not hard to figure out how a good basketball player helps your team. Jackson is very athletic, he's a versatile defender, he has a very high basketball iq, and if he develops a jumper(unlikely) he's a star.

Versatile wings is a good place to have multiple guys. Jaylen projects as a better scorer and shooter, Jackson should be better at everything else.

I wouldn't mind Tatum either. Preferred fultz but dont think this trade is nearly as apocalyptic as many are making it out to be.

I admit, I really wanted Fultz, but since that is behind us now I'm trying to understand the rationale behind the love for Jackson. 

When we REALLY need a bucket, as proven in the playoffs, how does he help?  Smart, Rozier, Brown, Crowder and even Bradley have the same intangibles and traits but none could be consistently depended on to stop a scoring drought.  He seems to project as a taller Smart, who really is a nonstarter, role player.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 08:56:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Why do u want him?

In all seriousness, if our biggest flaw is scoring and offensive production with and without IT on the floor, how does he help?

Defense, high motor, hustler, dirt dog, "winning mentality" (whatever that means), intangibles, etc.

None of these traits helps us score when we desperately need a bucket.  His "great" defense only means the Cavs and GSW destroy us by 15-20 pts instead of 20-30. 

Just wondering why we need another 6'8" Marcus Smart when we already have a 6'7" one already (Jaylen)?

What if Fultz turns out to be Jamal Crawford and Jackson Draymond Green? Who would you rather have?

You keep yearning for scoring help... Wanting to fill a need...like drafting based on positional need...

But the answer is , this team needs help everywhere still. Celts lost to the Cavs also because the defense was not good enough

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Why do u want him?

Yea I cringe when I hear that as the selling point out of a lottery pick. I expect to hear that with the 20th pick and get excited about what could be haha.

Makes me think about when your buddies girlfriend tries to set you up with a friend of hers. First thing you as "is she hot?" when her response is "she has a great personality" you know she's not hot!

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I admit, I really wanted Fultz, but since that is behind us now I'm trying to understand the rationale behind the love for Jackson. 

When we REALLY need a bucket, as proven in the playoffs, how does he help?  Smart, Rozier, Brown, Crowder and even Bradley have the same intangibles and traits but none could be consistently depended on to stop a scoring drought.  He seems to project as a taller Smart, who really is a nonstarter, role player.
Jackson is unlikely to be the James harden that we though Fultz could be. If you want to be really sad that we didn't draft Fultz then keep fixating on that. Until then, this isn't a serious discussion.

Jackson is much more explosive than Smart so he should be a better scorer and then there's the off chance he develops a jumper.

We obviously need more scorers which is a part of the reason a lot of people think we could be eying Jayson tatum which would be a nice pickup and he couls definitely become a go to scorer. You could also address scoring with free agency with Gordon's hayward or maybe next year moving our picks for a star scorer. Also, it's way too early to rule brown out as becoming a go to option. He was very raw out of Cal and has already developed a lot.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He's not currently a great shooter, but in addition to the defensive skills, energy, and dirt-dogness, he's also a very good penetrator and passer, much better than Jaylen Brown.  If he improves his stroke as much as Brown did in year one, he could be a superstar.

The concept of Josh Jackson and Jaylen Brown playing next to each other for a decade will scare a lot of teams if those two reach most of their full potential.  They will both be two-way monsters.

I still want Fultz, because scoring was, is, and always will be the ultimate premium in the NBA, but Jackson has DPOY upside on defense and All-NBA upside on offense.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'll tell you one great thing about Josh Jackson....3 years from now Bron will be a very old 35 and JJ will be 23.  You might like him an awful lot then

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 09:06:10 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
Why do u want him?

What if Fultz turns out to be Jamal Crawford and Jackson Draymond Green? Who would you rather have?

You keep yearning for scoring help... Wanting to fill a need...like drafting on positional need...

But the answer is , this team needs help everywhere still. Celts lost to the Cavs also because the defense was not good enough

Our undeniable biggest need + arguably consensus #1 pick with an assortment of developed skills, who btw instantly becomes our second best scorer = Fultz.

It's not like he was rated as the 4th best prospect but best scorer.  He was, by most experts, the #1 prospect with the best offensive arsenal that, oh btw, filled our biggest need.

By your rationale, what if he becomes Harden and Jackson turns into MKG? Who would u rather have? What kind of argument is that?

So we keep adding top notch defenders and hope and rely on IT to shoulder the load again?  Great offense ALWAYS beats great defense. 

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 09:11:32 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Why do u want him?

You keep yearning for scoring help... Wanting to fill a need...like drafting based on positional need...

What if Fultz turns out to be Brandon Roy and Josh Jackson Ron Artest, who would you rather have?

You take the best player in the class when you can get it, and Futlz with his strengths and his flaws, far outweighs Jackson as a prospect.

He's not currently a great shooter, but in addition to the defensive skills, energy, and dirt-dogness, he's also a very good penetrator and passer, much better than Jaylen Brown.  If he improves his stroke as much as Brown did in year one, he could be a superstar.

The concept of Josh Jackson and Jaylen Brown playing next to each other for a decade will scare a lot of teams if those two reach most of their full potential.  They will both be two-way monsters.

I still want Fultz, because scoring was, is, and always will be the ultimate premium in the NBA, but Jackson has DPOY upside on defense and All-NBA upside on offense.

And still won't be good enough offensive players to lead a team to a title. It's easier to find versatile defensive wings. We are going to see some more Jaylen and Josh's in the next coming drafts. We might not see another Markelle Fultz for a while...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 09:13:32 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum

Jackson is unlikely to be the James harden that we though Fultz could be.If you want to be really sad that we didn't draft Fultz then keep fixating on that. Until then, this isn't a serious discussion.

Jackson is much more explosive than Smart so he should be a better scorer and then there's the off chance he develops a jumper.

We obviously need more scorers which is a part of the reason a lot of people think we could be eying Jayson tatum which would be a nice pickup and he couls definitely become a go to scorer. You could also address scoring with free agency with Gordon's hayward or maybe next year moving our picks for a star scorer. Also, it's way too early to rule brown out as becoming a go to option. He was very raw out of Cal and has already developed a lot.

What?!?

I already stated "It's behind us now".  I'm not trying to make this about Fultz, just wanted to quickly state why I felt he should have been the pick.

Not a serious discussion?

The whole purpose for this post is to hear the Pro-Jackson argument.  One u clearly can't state obviously. 

I'm still waiting for u to answer the main question...Why do u want Jackson?

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Jackson is unlikely to be the James harden that we though Fultz could be.If you want to be really sad that we didn't draft Fultz then keep fixating on that. Until then, this isn't a serious discussion.

What?!?

I already stated "It's behind us now".  I'm not trying to make this about Fultz, just wanted to quickly state why I felt he should have been the pick.

The whole purpose for this post is to hear the Pro-Jackson argument.  One u clearly can't state obviously. 

Why do we want Jackson? Because he projects as a borderline elite defender who is versatile. He has terrific athleticism and a great bball on both sides of the ball and is a terrific passer. That's why we want Josh Jackson. Because he projects as a versatile 2 way player who can cover 4 positions?

Jackson doesnt answer the go to ISO scorer question. He doesn't. that doesn't mean he can't help the team or be a good addition or even become a better player than markelle Fultz.

Plenty of people have answered this question throughout the board over the last 2 days and if you still can't understand it then you are clearly fixated on Markellw Filtz and the fact that we could have had a guy who projects as a great scorer. There are other parts to the game of basketball and picking for need is dumb.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I just want to touch on the Jackson isn't a good shooter issue.

Do you know how many players currently on the Celtics had a better college career 3-point shooting percentage than Josh Jackson had?  Only one (Demetrius Jackson). IT was lower for his career and every single season.  As was Crowder.  And Smart.  And Rozier.  And Bradley.  And Brown.  And Horford.  Olynyk had one season when he shot better, but it was on only 27 attempts (he attempted fewer threes in three seasons than Jackson did last year), and finished with a much lower career percentage.

Not all of the players listed above are terrific shooters (Mr. Smart and Mr. Rozier most notably.)  But many are.  And they were all worse in college from 3 than Jackson.  I have no idea where he'll end up as a shooter in the NBA, but it's far from written in stone that he'll be a liability.  Everyone focuses on Smart's lack of shooting development in the pros, but IT, AB, Crowder, Brown, Olynyk, and Horford have all become much better shooters at the NBA level, and they were all starting from a lower baseline than Jackson (and higher than Smart.)

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 09:31:33 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

Problem is out of all the players IT is the only reliable scoring option. If they can't keep teams under 100 every night they're going to lose.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum

What?!?

Why do we want Jackson? Because he projects as a borderline elite defender who is versatile. He has terrific athleticism and a great bball on both sides of the ball and is a terrific passer. That's why we want Josh Jackson. Because he projects as a versatile 2 way player who can cover 4 positions?

Jackson doesnt answer the go to ISO scorer question. He doesn't. that doesn't mean he can't help the team or be a good addition or even become a better player than markelle Fultz.

Plenty of people have answered this question throughout the board over the last 2 days and if you still can't understand it then you are clearly fixated on Markellw Filtz and the fact that we could have had a guy who projects as a great scorer. There are other parts to the game of basketball and picking for need is dumb.

See you did it.  You answered the question.  You want Jackson because he's a taller, more athletic Marcus Smart.

Thanks