Author Topic: NBA Execs: Fultz is a "transformative" player, a "flat-out stud"  (Read 6687 times)

Re: NBA Execs: Fultz is a "transformative" player, a "flat-out stud"
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 08:22:55 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Seems like Tim Legler thinks Jackson is a transformative, flat out stud too.

“There’s no question in my mind he’s going to he’s going to develop into a guy that can consistently make shots, even at the NBA three-point line. Maybe not right away, but down the road, he will do that because he’s that hard of a worker.

“I don’t think there’s anybody that wants it more in this draft to be great than Josh Jackson, and he’s a game-changing player defensively. From day one, you’re better if he’s on the floor, because he’s that competitive defensively.”

Legler compares Jackson’s skill set to that of San Antonio Spurs All-Star Kawhi Leonard. While Leonard didn’t necessarily have a great shot coming out of San Diego State, either -- currently the knock on Jackson – he became a high-percentage mid- and long-range shooter over time.

Jackson not only has the desire to improve and a decent mechanical foundation to work with, but he’s also actually a superior prospect than Leonard was in several other areas.

“He just has that street-fight mentality that the Sixers really need, could use, and he can make shots playing off of Embiid and Simmons, and he’s going to get better as a shooter over the next couple years,” Legler said. “He’s the guy, to me, that is the closest thing that I’ve seen to a Kawhi Leonard-type of player coming into the league because of his two-mentality about the game. He’s not Kawhi offensively now, but if you look at Kawhi offensively his rookie year, you’re going to see a lot of similarities this year, because he’s a phenomenal ball handler and he’s a great passer.

“I’m telling you, Josh Jackson handles the ball and passes the ball right now at a higher level than Kawhi Leonard did coming into the league. There’s no question about it.

Legler missed the part where Leonard has a 7'3" wingspan, came in at 227 pounds (Jackson is 20 lbs lighter with a narrower frame) and did not have any temper and/or legal issues. Kawhi may have a problem with shooting, but he also didn't average below 70% from FT in his two years at SDSU.

Jackson's passing and handles are great assets for a prospect, but I don't know if he can be this elite defender Legler says he can because of his measurables. I'm afraid that once his puts on some pounds, it might slow him down. Doesn't have the elite reach.

Tim Legler also said that Greg Oden, before even playing a game, was the third best center in the NBA, that D'Angelo Russell was going to be a superstar, etc.

Even so, he's still got Fultz as a better prospect.

He said he would go with Fultz, but wouldn't have any issue if the C's would take Jackson instead (this is when we were still picking # 1). That seems to me like there is little to no separation between the prospects, which is what the premise of your thread. Clearly Ainge, along with others, don't believe so. Plus, we have a top pick to boot. You should be happy. It's a good time to be a C's fan.

I thought you couldn't assess draft pick trades until seeing how they play out? I'm confused.

The pick will either be 2-5 next year or unprotected in 2019. It's hard to imagine the Kings improving so much so that the pick ends up any worse than a top 5 pick. Vegas has them as the worst team in the upcoming season, along with Orlando and Brooklyn. So thinking the pick will be in the top 5 in 2019 seems realistic. You said in another thread that you don't judge in a best case scenario, well neither am I. If you think the pick will be better than 5, I'm willing to listen to that counerpoint.

How is this set in stone?

What do you mean? The part you bolded are the conditions of the trade.

2018 Lakers pick is received if it lands 2-5. If it doesn't we receive the Kings unprotected pick in 2019.

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 08:26:37 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

“There’s no question in my mind he’s going to he’s going to develop into a guy that can consistently make shots, even at the NBA three-point line. Maybe not right away, but down the road, he will do that because he’s that hard of a worker.

“I don’t think there’s anybody that wants it more in this draft to be great than Josh Jackson, and he’s a game-changing player defensively. From day one, you’re better if he’s on the floor, because he’s that competitive defensively.”

Legler compares Jackson’s skill set to that of San Antonio Spurs All-Star Kawhi Leonard. While Leonard didn’t necessarily have a great shot coming out of San Diego State, either -- currently the knock on Jackson – he became a high-percentage mid- and long-range shooter over time.

Jackson not only has the desire to improve and a decent mechanical foundation to work with, but he’s also actually a superior prospect than Leonard was in several other areas.

“He just has that street-fight mentality that the Sixers really need, could use, and he can make shots playing off of Embiid and Simmons, and he’s going to get better as a shooter over the next couple years,” Legler said. “He’s the guy, to me, that is the closest thing that I’ve seen to a Kawhi Leonard-type of player coming into the league because of his two-mentality about the game. He’s not Kawhi offensively now, but if you look at Kawhi offensively his rookie year, you’re going to see a lot of similarities this year, because he’s a phenomenal ball handler and he’s a great passer.

“I’m telling you, Josh Jackson handles the ball and passes the ball right now at a higher level than Kawhi Leonard did coming into the league. There’s no question about it.

Legler missed the part where Leonard has a 7'3" wingspan, came in at 227 pounds (Jackson is 20 lbs lighter with a narrower frame) and did not have any temper and/or legal issues. Kawhi may have a problem with shooting, but he also didn't average below 70% from FT in his two years at SDSU.

Jackson's passing and handles are great assets for a prospect, but I don't know if he can be this elite defender Legler says he can because of his measurables. I'm afraid that once his puts on some pounds, it might slow him down. Doesn't have the elite reach.

Tim Legler also said that Greg Oden, before even playing a game, was the third best center in the NBA, that D'Angelo Russell was going to be a superstar, etc.

He said he would go with Fultz, but wouldn't have any issue if the C's would take Jackson instead (this is when we were still picking # 1). That seems to me like there is little to no separation between the prospects, which is what the premise of your thread. Clearly Ainge, along with others, don't believe so. Plus, we have a top pick to boot. You should be happy. It's a good time to be a C's fan.

I thought you couldn't assess draft pick trades until seeing how they play out? I'm confused.

The pick will either be 2-5 next year or unprotected in 2019. It's hard to imagine the Kings improving so much so that the pick ends up any worse than a top 5 pick. Vegas has them as the worst team in the upcoming season, along with Orlando and Brooklyn. So thinking the pick will be in the top 5 in 2019 seems realistic. You said in another thread that you don't judge in a best case scenario, well neither am I. If you think the pick will be better than 5, I'm willing to listen to that counerpoint.

2018 Lakers pick is received if it lands 2-5. If it doesn't we receive the Kings unprotected pick in 2019.
Some are saying the SAC pick will be top 3 protected.

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2017, 08:38:21 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
NBA executives seem sold on Fultz. “Flat-out stud,” one exec texted late Friday, when news first broke of Boston’s interest in trading the pick. “Transformative player,” texted another. The Vertical Front-Office Insider Bobby Marks – a longtime executive with the Nets – tweeted there was a “clear separation” between the first and third picks. DraftExpress’ Jonathan Givony tweeted that there is a “big downgrade” going from first to third.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/danny-ainge-puts-legacy-line-passing-markelle-fultz-153425097.html?exp=vv

The counterpoint to "highway robbery", I guess.

The moment the deal went down I felt like we got robbed.  I doubt the lakers pick is 2 to 5 next year, which means that we'll the Sacramento pick in 2019 (!) which will probably be around 5 or 6.... in a draft that likely isn't as strong as this one.  Awful value for the trade down.

It should also be considered that Philly has been desperate to get a very good PG for a few years now (remember how they were trying hard to get Dunn?)... so we had the position of power in the negotiation and screwed it up.

This whole thing feels like Danny trying to outsmart himself and just build assets.  NBA doesn't work like the NFL, consolidation is key.

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2017, 09:00:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I mean how do we know the pick will indeed be around 2-5? How do we know if we are getting the SacTo pick instead, it would be a good one?

I know those are the terms for us to get the pick. I'm asking, what makes it so sure that either picks will be good?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I've been sitting on this all day and I have been feeling a bit better about it. I look at last years draft as an example. I preface this by saying that I know Kris Dunn was never touted as highly as Fultz was, but people were talking really highly about him before the draft and how he was a complete player that could come in right away and be a really solid NBA player and that Jaylen Brown was a project that may not hit his ceiling for awhile.

Well, the season showed that Brown was the better pick over Dunn and Danny and Brad realized that when most everyone else didnt. Maybe Jackson will have the same result over Fultz.

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
People said the same thing about Andrew Wiggins and so far his career consists of giving up as many points as he scores

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 09:33:38 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

It's weird that the Lakers pick is protected if it's first overall... It's like they think the first overall pick is worth a lot more than picks 2-5.

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 09:48:40 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I mean how do we know the pick will indeed be around 2-5? How do we know if we are getting the SacTo pick instead, it would be a good one?

I know those are the terms for us to get the pick. I'm asking, what makes it so sure that either picks will be good?

Let's do some math...

LAL are nearly a lock to be a bottom-5 team this year... in which case there would be over 80% chance they end of 2-5 and not #1. So let's say... 60% chance to be safe, leaving a 20% chance they improve AND don't win picks 2 or 3 in the lottery.

SAC is in one of the worst positions for two years from now in the league. Let's say... 70% chance they are picking bottom 5.

So what are the odds we get a top 5 pick based on that? 88%. And if we don't get a top-5 pick, what are the odds Sacramento is a *playoff* team by then? I'd say less than 10%.

Therefore, according to napkin math:

60% chance we get a top-5 pick next year (not #1)
28% chance we get a top-5 pick in 2019
11% chance we get a lottery pick in 2019 (not top-5)
~5% chance we pick #1 overall in 2019
1% chance we pick outside the lottery in 2019

Also, assuming Brooklyn and LA are both lottery teams next year, we've eliminated a "bad" scenario of LA leapfrogging Brooklyn into the #2 or #3 spots, because we own it anyway.

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 10:06:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I can probably assess Jackson pretty well. I watched a lot of his games this season. He is a special player. BBIQ off the charts. Not the scoring acumen of Fultz, so I understand the disappointment. I'm still trying to assess how I feel.

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

It's weird that the Lakers pick is protected if it's first overall... It's like they think the first overall pick is worth a lot more than picks 2-5.
It is. Unless you're danny ainge, then you sell it dirt cheap.

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 10:32:34 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

It is. Unless you're danny ainge, then you sell it dirt cheap.
Some people don't seem to understand statistics.  The likelihood of the pick being #1 is about 15 times less likely than 2-5, considering there's no guarantee it's a top 5 pick.