Author Topic: NBA Execs: Fultz is a "transformative" player, a "flat-out stud"  (Read 6637 times)

Re: NBA Execs: Fultz is a "transformative" player, a "flat-out stud"
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm with Legler.

So you think Fultz is the best prospect too?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Find me one person who felt this way 3 months ago, after Fultz played his last game. True transformative #1 picks don't suddenly ascend in June.

He's been the #1 prospect on draft boards all season.  I'm not sure what you mean here.

#1 on some boards, and not with major separation. There was plenty of love for Ball snd Jackson all year. I'm not debating he's #1. I'm saying this sudden "transformative" stuff where he's a level above the next few guys is new.

January through March most people had thus draft as 3 players deep. It's not entirely clear how/ why that changed.
No it isn't. It's been this way for several months. Some Celtic fans will try to convince themselves otherwise now that we've traded him away.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm with Legler.

So you think Fultz is the best prospect too?

Nope.  I think Jackson is.  I'm with Legler on the part where he says Jackson has star potential.  I haven't read his Fultz commentary.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Rick Pitino during one of his postgame interviews during ACC play said that he thought Josh Jackson was the best prospect and would draft him #1 if he was asked to pick. Specifically mentioned Fultz too. At the time, Fultz was already considered the consensus #1.

Moral of the story is don't draft JJ. ;)

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Seems like Tim Legler thinks Jackson is a transformative, flat out stud too.

“There’s no question in my mind he’s going to he’s going to develop into a guy that can consistently make shots, even at the NBA three-point line. Maybe not right away, but down the road, he will do that because he’s that hard of a worker.

“I don’t think there’s anybody that wants it more in this draft to be great than Josh Jackson, and he’s a game-changing player defensively. From day one, you’re better if he’s on the floor, because he’s that competitive defensively.”

Legler compares Jackson’s skill set to that of San Antonio Spurs All-Star Kawhi Leonard. While Leonard didn’t necessarily have a great shot coming out of San Diego State, either -- currently the knock on Jackson – he became a high-percentage mid- and long-range shooter over time.

Jackson not only has the desire to improve and a decent mechanical foundation to work with, but he’s also actually a superior prospect than Leonard was in several other areas.

“He just has that street-fight mentality that the Sixers really need, could use, and he can make shots playing off of Embiid and Simmons, and he’s going to get better as a shooter over the next couple years,” Legler said. “He’s the guy, to me, that is the closest thing that I’ve seen to a Kawhi Leonard-type of player coming into the league because of his two-mentality about the game. He’s not Kawhi offensively now, but if you look at Kawhi offensively his rookie year, you’re going to see a lot of similarities this year, because he’s a phenomenal ball handler and he’s a great passer.

“I’m telling you, Josh Jackson handles the ball and passes the ball right now at a higher level than Kawhi Leonard did coming into the league. There’s no question about it.

Legler missed the part where Leonard has a 7'3" wingspan, came in at 227 pounds (Jackson is 20 lbs lighter with a narrower frame) and did not have any temper and/or legal issues. Kawhi may have a problem with shooting, but he also didn't average below 70% from FT in his two years at SDSU.

Jackson's passing and handles are great assets for a prospect, but I don't know if he can be this elite defender Legler says he can because of his measurables. I'm afraid that once his puts on some pounds, it might slow him down. Doesn't have the elite reach.

Tim Legler also said that Greg Oden, before even playing a game, was the third best center in the NBA, that D'Angelo Russell was going to be a superstar, etc.

Even so, he's still got Fultz as a better prospect.

He said he would go with Fultz, but wouldn't have any issue if the C's would take Jackson instead (this is when we were still picking # 1). That seems to me like there is little to no separation between the prospects, which is he premise of your thread. Clearly Ainge, along with others, don't believe so. Plus, we have a top pick to boot. You should be happy. It's a good time to be a C's fan.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

“There’s no question in my mind he’s going to he’s going to develop into a guy that can consistently make shots, even at the NBA three-point line. Maybe not right away, but down the road, he will do that because he’s that hard of a worker.

“I don’t think there’s anybody that wants it more in this draft to be great than Josh Jackson, and he’s a game-changing player defensively. From day one, you’re better if he’s on the floor, because he’s that competitive defensively.”

Legler compares Jackson’s skill set to that of San Antonio Spurs All-Star Kawhi Leonard. While Leonard didn’t necessarily have a great shot coming out of San Diego State, either -- currently the knock on Jackson – he became a high-percentage mid- and long-range shooter over time.

Jackson not only has the desire to improve and a decent mechanical foundation to work with, but he’s also actually a superior prospect than Leonard was in several other areas.

“He just has that street-fight mentality that the Sixers really need, could use, and he can make shots playing off of Embiid and Simmons, and he’s going to get better as a shooter over the next couple years,” Legler said. “He’s the guy, to me, that is the closest thing that I’ve seen to a Kawhi Leonard-type of player coming into the league because of his two-mentality about the game. He’s not Kawhi offensively now, but if you look at Kawhi offensively his rookie year, you’re going to see a lot of similarities this year, because he’s a phenomenal ball handler and he’s a great passer.

“I’m telling you, Josh Jackson handles the ball and passes the ball right now at a higher level than Kawhi Leonard did coming into the league. There’s no question about it.

Legler missed the part where Leonard has a 7'3" wingspan, came in at 227 pounds (Jackson is 20 lbs lighter with a narrower frame) and did not have any temper and/or legal issues. Kawhi may have a problem with shooting, but he also didn't average below 70% from FT in his two years at SDSU.

Jackson's passing and handles are great assets for a prospect, but I don't know if he can be this elite defender Legler says he can because of his measurables. I'm afraid that once his puts on some pounds, it might slow him down. Doesn't have the elite reach.

Tim Legler also said that Greg Oden, before even playing a game, was the third best center in the NBA, that D'Angelo Russell was going to be a superstar, etc.

He said he would go with Fultz, but wouldn't have any issue if the C's would take Jackson instead (this is when we were still picking # 1). That seems to me like there is little to no separation between the prospects, which is what the premise of your thread. Clearly Ainge, along with others, don't believe so. Plus, we have a top pick to boot. You should be happy. It's a good time to be a C's fan.

I thought you couldn't assess draft pick trades until seeing how they play out? I'm confused.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 08:03:16 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Ainge's legacy is secure.  He built a team that went to the Finals twice, won a title and might have won more if not for injuries, then tore it down and executed one of the best rebuilds we've ever seen.

I'm surprised he soured on Fultz and he's definitely risking a lot with this move, but he clearly does not see Fultz as a "transformative" talent.  That doesn't mean Fultz is going to suck.  John Wall hasn't been a "transformative" talent and who wouldn't want him?

I still have to give him the benefit of the doubt.  He's demonstrated a pretty good eye for talent and a good sense of where this team is and what its ceiling is.  And let's remember that the best point guard in the game (Chris Paul) has never made a conference final, so there's reason to doubt the "transformative" potential of Fultz.

Mike

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 08:03:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He said he would go with Fultz, but wouldn't have any issue if the C's would take Jackson instead (this is when we were still picking # 1). That seems to me like there is little to no separation between the prospects, which is what the premise of your thread. Clearly Ainge, along with others, don't believe so. Plus, we have a top pick to boot. You should be happy. It's a good time to be a C's fan.

I thought you couldn't assess draft pick trades until seeing how they play out? I'm confused.

The pick will either be 2-5 next year or unprotected in 2019. It's hard to imagine the Kings improving so much so that the pick ends up any worse than a top 5 pick. Vegas has them as the worst team in the upcoming season, along with Orlando and Brooklyn. So thinking the pick will be in the top 5 in 2019 seems realistic. You said in another thread that you don't judge in a best case scenario, well neither am I. If you think the pick will be better than 5, I'm willing to listen to that counerpoint.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 08:03:57 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I don't think we can dispute that most are saying Fultz is the best prospect. But in the end drafting talent isn't about majority opinion, it's about getting it right. If Ainge is right that Jackson or Tatum is as good or better than Fultz then this is a good trade. If he's wrong, then it could be a bad trade.  But Fultz would need to be a lot better than whoever the Celts get for it to be a major mistake. If he's just a little better then it won't necessarily be that big a deal. Maybe he will be a lot better, maybe this will go down as DA's biggest mistake. But while Fultz is the consensus number one, DA is hardly the only one who likes Jackson better. I have no idea who should go first, I don't watch much college hoops. But it seems to me that Fultz is no Lebron, Shaq or Duncan. He's nowhere near that level right now. Maybe he will end up being elite, but it is by no means a sure thing. This trade is a risk, no doubt, but if DA really likes someone else better it makes sense.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 08:05:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

To be fair, Oden looked the part, injuries just killed his career.

But please take my TP.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 08:08:13 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Find me one person who felt this way 3 months ago, after Fultz played his last game. True transformative #1 picks don't suddenly ascend in June.

He's been the #1 prospect on draft boards all season.  I'm not sure what you mean here.

#1 on some boards, and not with major separation. There was plenty of love for Ball snd Jackson all year. I'm not debating he's #1. I'm saying this sudden "transformative" stuff where he's a level above the next few guys is new.

January through March most people had thus draft as 3 players deep. It's not entirely clear how/ why that changed.
No it isn't. It's been this way for several months. Some Celtic fans will try to convince themselves otherwise now that we've traded him away.

Bull. During the NCAA tournament both Ball and Jackson were widely considered on his level. Ultimately the consensus became Fultz- but the only "transformative" player in the draft? That's new. Again, I'm not saying he's less than #1. But new adjectives in June are called hype.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
must be Bryan Colangelo....Ainge victim #2

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 08:08:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
NBA executives seem sold on Fultz. “Flat-out stud,” one exec texted late Friday, when news first broke of Boston’s interest in trading the pick. “Transformative player,” texted another. The Vertical Front-Office Insider Bobby Marks – a longtime executive with the Nets – tweeted there was a “clear separation” between the first and third picks. DraftExpress’ Jonathan Givony tweeted that there is a “big downgrade” going from first to third.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/danny-ainge-puts-legacy-line-passing-markelle-fultz-153425097.html?exp=vv

The counterpoint to "highway robbery", I guess.
None of these scouts, executives, or GMs, or coaches ever have names.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
NBA executives seem sold on Fultz. “Flat-out stud,” one exec texted late Friday, when news first broke of Boston’s interest in trading the pick. “Transformative player,” texted another. The Vertical Front-Office Insider Bobby Marks – a longtime executive with the Nets – tweeted there was a “clear separation” between the first and third picks. DraftExpress’ Jonathan Givony tweeted that there is a “big downgrade” going from first to third.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/danny-ainge-puts-legacy-line-passing-markelle-fultz-153425097.html?exp=vv

The counterpoint to "highway robbery", I guess.
None of these scouts, executives, or GMs, or coaches ever have names.

yes. Chad Ford, made up exec  ;D

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 08:11:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

The pick will either be 2-5 next year or unprotected in 2019. It's hard to imagine the Kings improving so much so that the pick ends up any worse than a top 5 pick. Vegas has them as the worst team in the upcoming season, along with Orlando and Brooklyn. So thinking the pick will be in the top 5 in 2019 seems realistic. You said in another thread that you don't judge in a best case scenario, well neither am I. If you think the pick will be better than 5, I'm willing to listen to that counerpoint.

How is this set in stone?

As of this moment, a Paul George to the Lakers trade could happen at any time. The Lakers might be good enough to screw us even without PG. The Kings are the Kings, but this is two years away, so many things could happen at that time.

Granted, Fultz is no guarantee either, but his skill set, his elite measuarables and his talent level makes it very likely that he will be who people say he will be.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace