Author Topic: NBA Execs: Fultz is a "transformative" player, a "flat-out stud"  (Read 6639 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
NBA executives seem sold on Fultz. “Flat-out stud,” one exec texted late Friday, when news first broke of Boston’s interest in trading the pick. “Transformative player,” texted another. The Vertical Front-Office Insider Bobby Marks – a longtime executive with the Nets – tweeted there was a “clear separation” between the first and third picks. DraftExpress’ Jonathan Givony tweeted that there is a “big downgrade” going from first to third.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/danny-ainge-puts-legacy-line-passing-markelle-fultz-153425097.html?exp=vv

The counterpoint to "highway robbery", I guess.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: NBA Execs: Fultz is a "transformative" player, a "flat-out stud"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:20:24 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
NBA executives seem sold on Fultz. “Flat-out stud,” one exec texted late Friday, when news first broke of Boston’s interest in trading the pick. “Transformative player,” texted another. The Vertical Front-Office Insider Bobby Marks – a longtime executive with the Nets – tweeted there was a “clear separation” between the first and third picks. DraftExpress’ Jonathan Givony tweeted that there is a “big downgrade” going from first to third.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/danny-ainge-puts-legacy-line-passing-markelle-fultz-153425097.html?exp=vv

That makes me sick to read! :'(

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
And Dick Vitale has both Jackson and Tatum ahead of Fultz

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 07:28:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Yeah, I'm feeling a bit better about the trade, because it sure does seem that the "consensus" number one pick this year wasn't all that much of a consensus. At least it was nowhere near the consensus of those like Simmons, Towns, etc.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:28:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Not encouraging.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Seems like Tim Legler thinks Jackson is a transformative, flat out stud too.

“There’s no question in my mind he’s going to he’s going to develop into a guy that can consistently make shots, even at the NBA three-point line. Maybe not right away, but down the road, he will do that because he’s that hard of a worker.

“I don’t think there’s anybody that wants it more in this draft to be great than Josh Jackson, and he’s a game-changing player defensively. From day one, you’re better if he’s on the floor, because he’s that competitive defensively.”

Legler compares Jackson’s skill set to that of San Antonio Spurs All-Star Kawhi Leonard. While Leonard didn’t necessarily have a great shot coming out of San Diego State, either -- currently the knock on Jackson – he became a high-percentage mid- and long-range shooter over time.

Jackson not only has the desire to improve and a decent mechanical foundation to work with, but he’s also actually a superior prospect than Leonard was in several other areas.

“He just has that street-fight mentality that the Sixers really need, could use, and he can make shots playing off of Embiid and Simmons, and he’s going to get better as a shooter over the next couple years,” Legler said. “He’s the guy, to me, that is the closest thing that I’ve seen to a Kawhi Leonard-type of player coming into the league because of his two-mentality about the game. He’s not Kawhi offensively now, but if you look at Kawhi offensively his rookie year, you’re going to see a lot of similarities this year, because he’s a phenomenal ball handler and he’s a great passer.

“I’m telling you, Josh Jackson handles the ball and passes the ball right now at a higher level than Kawhi Leonard did coming into the league. There’s no question about it.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 07:29:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Dick Vitale admitted he didn't watch a single Washington game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 07:36:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

It is legacy defining, it should be career defining as well.

If it indeed looks like Danny passed on a "transformative" player, these things need to happen.

1. Whoever he picks becomes good enough, fringe all-star.

2. The Lakers pick materializes, becomes a 2-5 pick.

3. Be able to flip the assets for another "transformative" player. That's not Jimmy Butler.

Anything short of that and Danny should be in the hot seat, or should not be in the seat at all. This should have been the culmination of the PP/KG trade, we got the pick/player that made us trade them to begin with. And instead of reaping the benefits, it's looking like he'd rather cash in and find better fruits. If he gets this wrong, one has to consider massive consequences.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Everyone's got an opinion when their job doesn't depend on being right/wrong. Ainge, his staff and I assume Brad Stevens have done their homework on all these guys.  I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.  But what I don't like is what this trade does for the Sixers.  I'm not a fan of helping a division opponent get real good.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Find me one person who felt this way 3 months ago, after Fultz played his last game. True transformative #1 picks don't suddenly ascend in June.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:03 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

“There’s no question in my mind he’s going to he’s going to develop into a guy that can consistently make shots, even at the NBA three-point line. Maybe not right away, but down the road, he will do that because he’s that hard of a worker.

“I don’t think there’s anybody that wants it more in this draft to be great than Josh Jackson, and he’s a game-changing player defensively. From day one, you’re better if he’s on the floor, because he’s that competitive defensively.”

Legler compares Jackson’s skill set to that of San Antonio Spurs All-Star Kawhi Leonard. While Leonard didn’t necessarily have a great shot coming out of San Diego State, either -- currently the knock on Jackson – he became a high-percentage mid- and long-range shooter over time.

Jackson not only has the desire to improve and a decent mechanical foundation to work with, but he’s also actually a superior prospect than Leonard was in several other areas.

“He just has that street-fight mentality that the Sixers really need, could use, and he can make shots playing off of Embiid and Simmons, and he’s going to get better as a shooter over the next couple years,” Legler said. “He’s the guy, to me, that is the closest thing that I’ve seen to a Kawhi Leonard-type of player coming into the league because of his two-mentality about the game. He’s not Kawhi offensively now, but if you look at Kawhi offensively his rookie year, you’re going to see a lot of similarities this year, because he’s a phenomenal ball handler and he’s a great passer.

“I’m telling you, Josh Jackson handles the ball and passes the ball right now at a higher level than Kawhi Leonard did coming into the league. There’s no question about it.

Legler missed the part where Leonard has a 7'3" wingspan, came in at 227 pounds (Jackson is 20 lbs lighter with a narrower frame) and did not have any temper and/or legal issues. Kawhi may have a problem with shooting, but he also didn't average below 70% from FT in his two years at SDSU.

Jackson's passing and handles are great assets for a prospect, but I don't know if he can be this elite defender Legler says he can because of his measurables. I'm afraid that once his puts on some pounds, it might slow him down. Doesn't have the elite reach.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Find me one person who felt this way 3 months ago, after Fultz played his last game. True transformative #1 picks don't suddenly ascend in June.

He's been the #1 prospect on draft boards all season.  I'm not sure what you mean here.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 07:47:58 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

He's been the #1 prospect on draft boards all season.  I'm not sure what you mean here.

#1 on some boards, and not with major separation. There was plenty of love for Ball snd Jackson all year. I'm not debating he's #1. I'm saying this sudden "transformative" stuff where he's a level above the next few guys is new.

January through March most people had thus draft as 3 players deep. It's not entirely clear how/ why that changed.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 07:48:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm with Legler.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 07:49:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Legler missed the part where Leonard has a 7'3" wingspan, came in at 227 pounds (Jackson is 20 lbs lighter with a narrower frame) and did not have any temper and/or legal issues. Kawhi may have a problem with shooting, but he also didn't average below 70% from FT in his two years at SDSU.

Jackson's passing and handles are great assets for a prospect, but I don't know if he can be this elite defender Legler says he can because of his measurables. I'm afraid that once his puts on some pounds, it might slow him down. Doesn't have the elite reach.

Tim Legler also said that Greg Oden, before even playing a game, was the third best center in the NBA, that D'Angelo Russell was going to be a superstar, etc.

Even so, he's still got Fultz as a better prospect.