Author Topic: Reports: Celts not expected to be suitors for George, Butler  (Read 13262 times)

Re: Reports: Celts not expected to be suitors for George, Butler
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I haven't seen this one yet, so why not throw it at the wall too?

WE'RE TRADING FOR DEMARCUS COUSINS!

Of course I don't believe that. I think we're going to draft Jackson and sign some plan C free agent.

Offseason Expectations two days ago: Fultz and Hayward. Expectations now: Jackson and Gallinari.

Why would Hayward not be coming now?

If anything, this trade reaffirmed to me that Hayward is coming to Boston, because making space for the max spot was a primary motive of this move.
Yeah, don't get that either. I think people are p---ed am just want to moan about Ainge.

I don't think it's moaning. I think it's the logical conclusion after seeing the team commit to future draft picks and reportedly not pursuing win now talent via trade.
Oh so you think Hayward is going to see this as a punt of sorts? Or that we aren't going after Hayward at all?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Of course I don't believe that. I think we're going to draft Jackson and sign some plan C free agent.

Offseason Expectations two days ago: Fultz and Hayward. Expectations now: Jackson and Gallinari.

If anything, this trade reaffirmed to me that Hayward is coming to Boston, because making space for the max spot was a primary motive of this move.

I always thought Hayward - despite my growing optimism - was most likely to re-up in Utah but the pitch of "we just made the conference finals, have a chance to add quite possibly the next superstar guard at #1 and we can still get better" would at least make him seriously consider us. Now.... Now.... "Well we added Josh Jackson. He can't shoot? Yeah, but he's a BOSTON TYPE OF GUY. Yeah, we know he replicates a lot of Jaylen Brown's skill set but.. Jae Crowder? Yeah, he's still here too. That seems like a lot small forwards and you're a small forward, but around here we call them wings. Wings can play all the positions. POSITIONLESS baskeball is the future. What's that? No, we haven't added another ballhander and shooter to help the offense. No, rebounding is still a red flag. But, remember Brad Stevens?"

I just don't think the allure of assets is enough to get a guy like Gordon to bolt his already great team in Utah.

Idk, maybe I'm being pessimistic about punting on Fultz, but I just don't feel as good about this team's future as I did 2 days ago.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2017, 07:36:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I always thought Hayward - despite my growing optimism - was most likely to re-up in Utah but the pitch of "we just made the conference finals, have a chance to add quite possibly the next superstar guard at #1 and we can still get better" would at least make him seriously consider us. Now.... Now.... "Well we added Josh Jackson. He can't shoot? Yeah, but he's a BOSTON TYPE OF GUY. Yeah, we know he replicates a lot of Jaylen Brown's skill set but.. Jae Crowder? Yeah, he's still here too. That seems like a lot small forwards and you're a small forward, but around here we call them wings. Wings can play all the positions. POSITIONLESS baskeball is the future. What's that? No, we haven't added another ballhander and shooter to help the offense. No, rebounding is still a red flag. But, remember Brad Stevens?"

I just don't think the allure of assets is enough to get a guy like Gordon to bolt his already great team in Utah.

Idk, maybe I'm being pessimistic about punting on Fultz, but I just don't feel as good about this team's future as I did 2 days ago.
I don't think the difference in attractiveness in the eyes of NBA vets looking to win now is that different between pick #1 and pick #3. I think this is an overreaction.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2017, 07:41:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

We didn't add Jackson.  That's premature.  Hayward and Tatum would be ok long term.

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2017, 07:42:43 PM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
I would offer up Bradley and the Celtics #1 next year for George

Take a chance he resigns, but since he likely won't, you don't really lose much considering AB is gone soon anyway

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't think the difference in attractiveness in the eyes of NBA vets looking to win now is that different between pick #1 and pick #3. I think this is an overreaction.

Fultz is the most NBA-ready player in the draft, I think that's about the most consistent thing I've heard about this draft. And honestly, how often does a PG go #1 and doesn't have an immediate impact? Maybe not All-Star production right out of the gate, but his offensive talent and ability to shoot is ready to go and we NEED another player capable of creating his own offense.

On the other hand, I've heard that Jackson is a few years away from doing anything offensively. Yes, I've heard the Kawhi comparisons but that's usually immediately followed up with "down the road" or "down the line".

I think - in this draft - the difference of #1 and #3 is important because one suggests a more immediate return on investment and the other suggests it's going to be some time before we see it come together. I think when a FA is considering moving teams, he's thinking what's going to be the best path for him to win sooner rather than later.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Yeah, don't get that either. I think people are p---ed am just want to moan about Ainge.

I don't think it's moaning. I think it's the logical conclusion after seeing the team commit to future draft picks and reportedly not pursuing win now talent via trade.

Was clearing cap space really a "primary motive" for the trade? I'd rather move Rozier than drop down from 1 to 3.

Or cut Tyler Zeller.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2017, 07:48:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

We didn't add Jackson.  That's premature.  Hayward and Tatum would be ok long term.

Oh, I genuinely hope we go for Tatum over Jackson. But Jackson just seems like an Ainge pick. He falls right into the Avery Bradley (rookie Avery), Marcus Smart mold. Defensive mentality? Check. High motor? Check. Couldn't put the ball in the basket if you made it 5 feet wide? Check.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2017, 07:48:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Was clearing cap space really a "primary motive" for the trade? I'd rather move Rozier than drop down from 1 to 3.

Or cut Tyler Zeller.

Tyler Zeller is presumed cut in every version of cap space that you will see around.  He's only not cut for the next week in case the Celtics can make a trade before June 30th and his salary can be matched.  He will be released before next year guarantees, for very obvious reasons.

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Or cut Tyler Zeller.

Tyler Zeller is presumed cut in every version of cap space that you will see around.  He's only not cut for the next week in case the Celtics can make a trade before June 30th and his salary can be matched.  He will be released before next year guarantees, for very obvious reasons.

Then I agree with Roy, I'd rather move Terry Rozier.

Hell, I'd rather move Jae Crowder and give the reigns to Jaylen Brown.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2017, 07:52:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Couldn't put the ball in the basket if you made it 5 feet wide? Check.

Oh my god...[bangs head against wall]
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2017, 07:58:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Fultz is the most NBA-ready player in the draft, I think that's about the most consistent thing I've heard about this draft. And honestly, how often does a PG go #1 and doesn't have an immediate impact? Maybe not All-Star production right out of the gate, but his offensive talent and ability to shoot is ready to go and we NEED another player capable of creating his own offense.

On the other hand, I've heard that Jackson is a few years away from doing anything offensively. Yes, I've heard the Kawhi comparisons but that's usually immediately followed up with "down the road" or "down the line".

I think - in this draft - the difference of #1 and #3 is important because one suggests a more immediate return on investment and the other suggests it's going to be some time before we see it come together. I think when a FA is considering moving teams, he's thinking what's going to be the best path for him to win sooner rather than later.
Jackson is a much better defender than fultz which is the first key to contributing.

Also I just don't believe that Hayward is sitting there with draftexpress open wondering why the Celtics took a 20 year old or 19 year old kid.

Fultz was very polished offensively, but he is 18 months younger than jackson and unlike Jackson he isnt known for being good at defense and cited "chase down blocks" as his chief defensive skill.

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2017, 08:06:47 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
If we are not after George or Butler, the question is, who are we after with all of our trade assets?

Nobody.

Why all the pessimism since the trade? We are likely going after someone.

What makes you think we're targeting somebody?

We made the trade now instead of draft night for a reason. Ainge has been hinting that we are looking to win now for a while now, and reiterated that a few days ago.

And yet there hasn't been a single legit rumor linking the Celtics to a win-now player. Why? It's not like this deal needs to be official before Danny can talk to other teams.
A lot of Ainges moves have come largely unannounced.
Ainge only shares his thinking with reporters when it suits him. It shouldn't be suiting him now.

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2017, 08:08:44 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

If you want to roll the dice with this guy - now is the time.  One year on his contract before you have to make decisions on who you're going to pay moving forward.  And he won't cost much.