Author Topic: Reports: Celts not expected to be suitors for George, Butler  (Read 13260 times)

Re: Reports: Celts not expected to be suitors for George, Butler
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Bulls have been asking for too much for Butler. Doesn't sound like he'll be moved until their asking price comes down. Unreasonable demands.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 06:32:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If we are not after George or Butler, the question is, who are we after with all of our trade assets?

Nobody.

So, now it's really looking like we are passing on the #1 to draft at #3 and get more assets.

Danny really feels like there isn't as much a gap in talent and potential within the top 4 picks, and would rather have a shot of claiming two top 5 picks.

First shoe has fallen. The #1 won't turn into an established star. That's disappointing.

Now if Fultz impresses in his first season, fans are going to be outraged. If whoever we pick disappoints in his first year, along with Fultz thriving, fans will be incensed! If both happens and we miss out on top 5 picks, pitchforks will be out, and heads will roll.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 06:33:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Exactly. The Bulls seem to want almost all our assets. They can kiss my assets.

The Celts will probably wait for a disgruntled guy the way they did with KG. They can easily wait till the trade deadline.

A half year rental of George might look more attractive at that time if we are suddenly way ahead in the standings and beating up on the Cavs and Warriors when we play them (won't happen).

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 06:34:39 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Reports: Celts not expected to be suitors for George, Butler

Good

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Bulls are asking for WAY TOO MUCH apparently.

Well, they can do whatever they want. Maybe they'll see Butler leave nothing for CHI as he wanders off, just like Paul George now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
If we are not after George or Butler, the question is, who are we after with all of our trade assets?
If Ainge is confident that he can sign Hayward, why would he go after Butler? Sure Butler is a All Star talent, but Hayward and Butler take all of Browns minutes. Having all 3 of those guys does not make sense. If Ainge is patient isnt there a chance that something goes wrong in New Orleans, Boogie says what Paul George said today and wont resign and then they decide to blow it up? If that happens Ainge is right there with ammunition for the Davis.
IT/Brown/Hayward/Horford/AD is a championship level team
That is my dream scenario, and maybe Ainge is thinking along those line

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

That's the million dollar question right now.

I just don't believe that Ainge is trading the #1 without the intention of making another trade soon. There is going to be a follow up deal, I just can't figure out for whom. It's probably someone no one is currently thinking of.

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Nobody.

Why all the pessimism since the trade? We are likely going after someone.
The timing of all this suggests to me that we are going after someone. If it's AD I don't think we've got a chance.

Why make he move so far before draft night if not to make more moves?

it's really speculative but could it be possible Indy FO leaked this in order to lessen the public backlash if they can't get value for George in a trade? Doubt that's the case but I just have a hard time believing PG is this dead set on going to LA. I have to imagine if we added him w/out giving up core pieces he'd resign.

I'd also go after Jimmy, but bulls fans seem to want #3 + players + other top picks like Brooklyn '18. No chance I give them that.

Let's be clear on this timing thing. The deal is not official yet, nothing submitted to league office, no statements. The only reason we know about it is leaks from Philly. Ainge may have wanted this in his back pocket in case a better deal fell through for example. So I'm not convinced anything else is happening right now, in fact I don't think it would be wise to make a big trade now.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 06:54:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
If this report is true, I'm relieved.  I hated the thought of an  overpay (2 high-value FRPs  and players) for either George or Butler. 

I hope the Fultz  trade occurred because Ainge loves who is going to be there for him at 3.

Ball/Tatum/Jackson, plus Brown, Rozier, Zizic, and Smart is a lot of young talent to go with AB, JC, IT, Al and hopefully Hayward or Griffin.  C's make noise, grow, and watch LAL and Nets lose (hopefully).

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This just reads as posturing on all sides.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Nobody.

The timing of all this suggests to me that we are going after someone. If it's AD I don't think we've got a chance.

Why make he move so far before draft night if not to make more moves?

it's really speculative but could it be possible Indy FO leaked this in order to lessen the public backlash if they can't get value for George in a trade? Doubt that's the case but I just have a hard time believing PG is this dead set on going to LA. I have to imagine if we added him w/out giving up core pieces he'd resign.

I'd also go after Jimmy, but bulls fans seem to want #3 + players + other top picks like Brooklyn '18. No chance I give them that.

Let's be clear on this timing thing. The deal is not official yet, nothing submitted to league office, no statements. The only reason we know about it is leaks from Philly. Ainge may have wanted this in his back pocket in case a better deal fell through for example. So I'm not convinced anything else is happening right now, in fact I don't think it would be wise to make a big trade now.

It's going to be submitted to the league office tomorrow morning. The timing does matter. We could have waited to pull it off on draft night once we see who is there at #3, but we didn't. It means we want it done now so that we can make a follow up deal by Thursday.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Nobody.

What makes you think we're targeting somebody?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

I keep telling you guys it's Davis. LOL Everyone thinks it's crazy.

It might not be right now but we didn't hear any noise of the KG deal until right after the draft when Allen was traded for the 5th pick. If it happens, it will be fast and no one will know about it.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 06:57:53 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Nobody.

What makes you think we're targeting somebody?

We made the trade now instead of draft night for a reason. Ainge has been hinting that we are looking to win now for a while now, and reiterated that a few days ago.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 07:00:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Nobody.

Roy, what's your take on this? Trade of No. One pick just to clear more cap space for a Max FA? I gotta believe there is another shoe to drop on draft night.

I don't think there's a trade coming on draft night.

I worry that Danny has fallen in love with his own players a little too much, and that he'll just keep the status quo while concurrently kicking the asset can down the road hoping for the perfect player to become available via trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes