Author Topic: Reports: Celts not expected to be suitors for George, Butler  (Read 13297 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Quote from: Chris Mannix
Is a blockbuster, player-heavy deal in the offing? As of now, league sources told The Vertical that isn’t the case.

Steve Kyler: One league source pegged market for Paul George being only a few teams – mainly because he’s set on leaving for LA in July of 2018 – via Twitter stevekylerNBA

Steve Kyler: In terms of being open to a one year rental – Cavs, Raptors and Clippers may be only teams willing to trade and ultimately lose George. – via Twitter stevekylerNBA

Steve Kyler: While NBA Draft is fluid – no sense in NBA circles that Jimmy Butler likely to be traded around the draft – won’t stop teams from asking – via Twitter stevekylerNBA

The more assets the Celtics have, the more assets the Bulls would ask for in a potential deal. But many around the Bulls don’t believe Ainge will even come calling before draft night, sources tell CSNChicago.com. The Celtics have enough to put a competitive team on the floor as is without having to add a player of Butler’s caliber. – via CSN Chicago

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:17:11 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Reports: Celts not expected to be suitors for George, Butler
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Cavs, Raptors and Clippers

What are their best offers?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I will wait for Steve Bulpett's Wet Blanket....coming any minute now-!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
A relief for me. George is headed for LA after a year and sacrifizing assets for Butler doesn't put us near GSW while hurts for our possible next decade dynasty, Be optimistic!!

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 06:05:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It doesn't say the Celtics won't pursue Butler, just that they won't do so before the draft, which makes sense, because if they want to have cap space to sign a max free agent, they have to sign him first and then they can trade for someone else.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It doesn't say the Celtics won't pursue Butler, just that they won't do so before the draft, which makes sense, because if they want to have cap space to sign a max free agent, they have to sign him first and then they can trade for someone else.

That totally depends on who is going out in a trade for Butler.

If we offer #3, Bradley, and Crowder we can do it before the draft and still have plenty of cap room to sign a max free agent.

The same would work for George, although I doubt we would offer that much for George without an extension in place.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 06:13:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

That totally depends on who is going out in a trade for Butler.

If we offer #3, Bradley, and Crowder we can do it before the draft and still have plenty of cap room to sign a max free agent.

The same would work for George, although I doubt we would offer that much for George without an extension in place.

I doubt we would offer that much for Butler either. Imo he's not worth that much.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
If we are not after George or Butler, the question is, who are we after with all of our trade assets?

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 06:14:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Good. We have very good chances at reloading via free agency and the draft. Why waste the future away for a rental of either overpaid guy

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If we are not after George or Butler, the question is, who are we after with all of our trade assets?

Nobody.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 06:19:01 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It is an opportunistic game and the more assets we have, more chances to play.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 06:21:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Nobody.

Why all the pessimism since the trade? We are likely going after someone.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 06:22:05 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31

Nobody.

Roy, what's your take on this? Trade of No. One pick just to clear more cap space for a Max FA? I gotta believe there is another shoe to drop on draft night.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 06:23:28 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Nobody.

And this is the point I've been trying to make. There's a high probability that the summer ends with us adding Josh Jackson/Jayson Tatum/whoever else at #3 and whiffing in FA. In fact, I'm starting to think it's the most likely scenario.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 06:28:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Nobody.

Why all the pessimism since the trade? We are likely going after someone.
The timing of all this suggests to me that we are going after someone. If it's AD I don't think we've got a chance.

Why make he move so far before draft night if not to make more moves?

it's really speculative but could it be possible Indy FO leaked this in order to lessen the public backlash if they can't get value for George in a trade? Doubt that's the case but I just have a hard time believing PG is this dead set on going to LA. I have to imagine if we added him w/out giving up core pieces he'd resign.

I'd also go after Jimmy, but bulls fans seem to want #3 + players + other top picks like Brooklyn '18. No chance I give them that.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.