Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 221822 times)

Re: 2017-2018 LA Lakers Season Watch Thread
« Reply #660 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Sheesh.

Hawks, Kings, and Bulls all crap the bed with big leads...
saw that lol

« Reply #661 on: December 07, 2017, 01:54:19 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
You guys are going to like this-

Prediction computer models:
FiveThirtyEight Car-melo model predicts Lakers finish 5th worst at the end of the season (using data up to today):
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-nba-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Basketball-Reference model predicts Lakers finish 5th worst: https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.html

ESPN BPI model predicts Lakers finish 5th worst as of today: http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/page/BPI-Playoff-Odds/espn-nba-basketball-power-index-playoff-odds

« Reply #662 on: December 07, 2017, 03:49:45 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I'm still thinking that the Lakers are outside the Top 5. Chicago and Atlanta are awful. They're virtual certainties for the top 3. Then you have Dallas, Sacramento, Phoenix, LAL, LAC, Charlotte and BKN left. I'm assuming that Memphis improve once their injured players come back. Sacramento is just awful. I think they beat out LAL. That leaves six teams "fighting" for those last two spots in the top 5 and, as far as I can tell, LAL has more talent than most of them. I have no idea what the Clippers will do; they may start to rebuild.

The upside is, no matter who they draft, the Kings always seem to be just awful. They don't have a lot of money tied up for 2018-19, but I'm not sure that they're going to get a lot of free agents who want to be there, so they may be a dumping ground for bad contracts and future draft picks. I'm all for that, since the future draft picks won't affect us.

Mike

« Reply #663 on: December 07, 2017, 03:57:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm still thinking that the Lakers are outside the Top 5. Chicago and Atlanta are awful. They're virtual certainties for the top 3. Then you have Dallas, Sacramento, Phoenix, LAL, LAC, Charlotte and BKN left. I'm assuming that Memphis improve once their injured players come back. Sacramento is just awful. I think they beat out LAL. That leaves six teams "fighting" for those last two spots in the top 5 and, as far as I can tell, LAL has more talent than most of them. I have no idea what the Clippers will do; they may start to rebuild.

The upside is, no matter who they draft, the Kings always seem to be just awful. They don't have a lot of money tied up for 2018-19, but I'm not sure that they're going to get a lot of free agents who want to be there, so they may be a dumping ground for bad contracts and future draft picks. I'm all for that, since the future draft picks won't affect us.

Mike

Actually, they’re over the salary cap next year, with the entirety of their roster under contract for 2018-2019.  Barring trades, this is your Kings team next year, with this year’s 1st rounder replacing someone who’s released.

« Reply #664 on: December 07, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Thanks Salty, that's what I like to hear!

Parenthood good?

Mike

« Reply #665 on: December 07, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Parenthood good?

Mike

I’ve been on about 4 hours of sleep a night for the last two weeks.  Ask again later...

« Reply #666 on: December 07, 2017, 07:51:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Mike
why would the clippers rebuild? Because griffin and Beverly got injured? No one is going to trade for 20% fg% max contract griffin. No one wants high price can't shoot deandre Jordan. Their assets aren't trade friendly. There better waiting until the off season to assess their strategy. That's what's been rumored they will do

Also, the nets just acquired okafor. All of the nets losses have been close losses. They are fighting every single game. This isn't the same team that got us brown and tatum

Kings may surprise, and the suns will fight to not be a bottom dweller as will the mavs

« Reply #667 on: December 07, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Parenthood good?

Mike

I’ve been on about 4 hours of sleep a night for the last two weeks.  Ask again later...

Translation: It's Good!

:laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #668 on: December 07, 2017, 08:19:32 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Mike
why would the clippers rebuild? Because griffin and Beverly got injured? No one is going to trade for 20% fg% max contract griffin. No one wants high price can't shoot deandre Jordan. Their assets aren't trade friendly. There better waiting until the off season to assess their strategy. That's what's been rumored they will do

Also, the nets just acquired okafor. All of the nets losses have been close losses. They are fighting every single game. This isn't the same team that got us brown and tatum

Kings may surprise, and the suns will fight to not be a bottom dweller as will the mavs

DeAndre Jordan is a heck of a player and there will be many teams willing to take on his services

« Reply #669 on: December 07, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Dang Lakers look good. Hot start for them...  :o  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #670 on: December 07, 2017, 09:15:38 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Dang Lakers look good. Hot start for them...  :o  :(

A very good first half for the Lakers. Ugh

« Reply #671 on: December 07, 2017, 10:27:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Pick this up philly. One game I am rooting for them this year

« Reply #672 on: December 07, 2017, 10:30:25 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Mike

DeAndre Jordan is a heck of a player and there will be many teams willing to take on his services

He’s good at what he does (defend, clean the glass, dunk) but he’s making a lot of money for someone who can’t spread the floor or hit free throws particularly well.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #673 on: December 07, 2017, 10:35:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Good job, refs. That would've been one of the softest flagrants I'd ever seen.

Don't blow this Philly!

« Reply #674 on: December 07, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
*sigh*

Well, I guess we can't win 'em all. I can't believe Ball didn't go for the lay-up there.