Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 221387 times)

Re: 2017-2018 LA Lakers Season Watch Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2017, 12:14:40 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Lakers lose and nets win. I imagine danny had a good day and celebrated with chipotle

One step closer to this

« Reply #196 on: October 23, 2017, 12:15:29 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Honestly feeling good about the potential of this Lakers Pick.

Let's face it. The Lakers have NO DEFENSE. They'll have to score like 120+ a night just to win games and unless Lonzo becomes a legit scorer, that's not happening.

Meanwhile Suns look like they'll be absolute garbage and so could maybe 1 East Team. So likely a pick in the 2-5 range (fingers crossed) and not #1 or lower than #5.

We want LAL to be bad, but not super bad to the point where they have a decent chance at #1 (which would go to PHI).
yeah I noticed the Lakers horrid defense in the other games as well. Its really bad. Should bode well for our pick

« Reply #197 on: October 23, 2017, 12:20:55 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Lakers lose and nets win. I imagine danny had a good day and celebrated with chipotle

One step closer to this

Naw, I'd rather have Bagley or Ayton. Tatum projects to be our 4 for the foreseeable future with Brown and Hayward slotted in at the 2/3. I think both of them are just as good of prospects as Porter, while also fitting what we need more than Porter.

« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2017, 12:28:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

One step closer to this

Naw, I'd rather have Bagley or Ayton. Tatum projects to be our 4 for the foreseeable future with Brown and Hayward slotted in at the 2/3. I think both of them are just as good of prospects as Porter, while also fitting what we need more than Porter.
100% agree. Bagley at the 5 for that team would be dreamy, as would Ayton and his 40"+ vert
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #199 on: October 23, 2017, 12:38:48 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

One step closer to this

I totally get it but I wouldn't be opposed to porter. But I agree that ayton baglet or even bamba probably makes more sense.  Also I couldn't find jersey swap pick of the other guys lol
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:49:50 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2017, 12:45:16 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Let's face it. The Lakers have NO DEFENSE. They'll have to score like 120+ a night just to win games and unless Lonzo becomes a legit scorer, that's not happening.

Meanwhile Suns look like they'll be absolute garbage and so could maybe 1 East Team. So likely a pick in the 2-5 range (fingers crossed) and not #1 or lower than #5.

We want LAL to be bad, but not super bad to the point where they have a decent chance at #1 (which would go to PHI).

We want the Lakers to pretty much be as bad as possible.

Chance of getting the Laker pick based on finish:

3rd worst - 80.4%
2nd worst - 80.1%
Dead last - 75%
4th worst - 70.9%
5th worst - 46.4%
6th worst - 15.2%

It's better for the Lakers to finish with the absolute worst record than it is for them to finish with the 4th-worst record, the odds plummet between 4th and 5th worst, and 6th worst isn't even worth talking about.  We want them to lose as many games as possible.  It's safer that way.

« Reply #201 on: October 23, 2017, 12:51:59 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

We want the Lakers to pretty much be as bad as possible.

Chance of getting the Laker pick based on finish:

3rd worst - 80.4%
2nd worst - 80.1%
Dead last - 75%
4th worst - 70.9%
5th worst - 46.4%
6th worst - 15.2%

It's better for the Lakers to finish with the absolute worst record than it is for them to finish with the 4th-worst record, the odds plummet between 4th and 5th worst, and 6th worst isn't even worth talking about.  We want them to lose as many games as possible.  It's safer that way.
exactly. We can't be picky between dead last and 2nd. We need them to lose. The greater threat isn't the Lakers being worst team. Its another 4 tanking teams having worse records

« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2017, 12:52:32 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Porter has come out recently and suggested that people shouldn't be surprised if he did stay next year.

“If we don’t do as well as I believe we can do as a team but I still do great individually and am projected Top-5, Top-3, whatever, I don’t know if I would go [to the NBA draft],” he said at SEC media day. “I might come back just because I want to leave a legacy and help our team get back on course. Everybody thinks I’m not serious when I say that, but I actually might spend more than one year in college.”
It seems to be an annual rite of passage: Incoming 5-star recruits tease their new fanbases with hypothetical two-year stays before leaving town early. But Porter is admittedly in a unique situation.
He spent his middle-school years and early high-school career in Columbia, knows Missouri’s campus “like the back of my hand” and is excited to be surrounded by his family (his father is a Tigers assistant, his brother Jontay is a fellow incoming freshman, and two of his sisters play for the Missouri women’s team, which his aunt coaches).
There’s an opportunity at his hometown university that he didn’t see elsewhere.

“I always wanted to be the type of player that went to a school to make a difference,” he said. “I didn’t want to go to a Kansas or Kentucky where I could be another great player. I wanted to go to a school where I could really make a big difference and leave a legacy.”
Here are some of the other highlights from his media session at the Omni Hotel:

His entire family plays in collegiate teams, and his relatives are based around his respective college. Doubt he turns down that kind of money, but Porter staying could be a good and bad for thing us. What do you guys think?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2017, 01:05:54 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Porter has come out recently and suggested that people shouldn't be surprised if he did stay next year.

“If we don’t do as well as I believe we can do as a team but I still do great individually and am projected Top-5, Top-3, whatever, I don’t know if I would go [to the NBA draft],” he said at SEC media day. “I might come back just because I want to leave a legacy and help our team get back on course. Everybody thinks I’m not serious when I say that, but I actually might spend more than one year in college.”
It seems to be an annual rite of passage: Incoming 5-star recruits tease their new fanbases with hypothetical two-year stays before leaving town early. But Porter is admittedly in a unique situation.
He spent his middle-school years and early high-school career in Columbia, knows Missouri’s campus “like the back of my hand” and is excited to be surrounded by his family (his father is a Tigers assistant, his brother Jontay is a fellow incoming freshman, and two of his sisters play for the Missouri women’s team, which his aunt coaches).
There’s an opportunity at his hometown university that he didn’t see elsewhere.

“I always wanted to be the type of player that went to a school to make a difference,” he said. “I didn’t want to go to a Kansas or Kentucky where I could be another great player. I wanted to go to a school where I could really make a big difference and leave a legacy.”
Here are some of the other highlights from his media session at the Omni Hotel:

His entire family plays in collegiate teams, and his relatives are based around his respective college. Doubt he turns down that kind of money, but Porter staying could be a good and bad for thing us. What do you guys think?
I think he was asked a career question about the NBA draft and didn't want to alienate his college fanbase by admitting he'd like to enter the nba draft. The college season hasn't started yet so it's not the best time to tell the world you want to play pro basketball as soon as possible.  He gave a politically correct answer that didn't really answer the question " I might stay. Who knows." players like him are too good to stay. It would be highly shocking unless he has a really bad year

If he stays its not the worst thing in the world. There are other players in the next tier down that are still decent and have upside. Bigs like Carter, Williams, or bridges. I really like Wendell Carter he is mobile for his size he plays like a guard.

« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2017, 01:07:13 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I’m team Bagley followed by (in order):
Ayton
Porter
Bamba
Doncic

« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2017, 07:06:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
The only Lakers basketball I plan on watching this season is when they play the Celtics but I am going to have fun reading Lonzo's box scores every game. Not since peak Rondo have I seen such an interesting mix of numbers from game to game. lol
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2017, 07:37:16 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Nets should have better record than the Lakers..Lakers playing in the West going be brutal (which is good 😀)
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've watched all the Lakers games so far (minus a play here and there, it's been brutal at times), and more often than not the Lakers look better with Lonzo off the court entirely.

He is such a weak defender, but that's not where they look at their worst with him on the court. When he is running the show, the offense as a whole seems to get really dysfunctional, despite the gaudy numbers he puts up. I know it's early in the season, but I am loving seeing this kid put up completely empty numbers on a garbage Laker squad
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
This Lakers start is about as good as I could have hoped for (absent an 0-3 start, of course). They gave up 130 points to freakin' Phoenix and almost managed to lose that game. If they have to score 132 to win every game this year, it's going to be a long season for them.

As that Dutch comedian said, "We totally understand it's going to be Phoenix at the bottom. But can we just say, "the Lakers at second-worst."

Mike

« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I keep on thinking about a Rondo comparison to Ball because they are both elite passers and rebounders. Rondo was a good defender out of the gate though and Ball is not (nor would you expect most rookies to be).

However, I thought that Ball's shooting would be better. So far he's been brutal with a 41% TS% through 3 games (Rondo's career TS% is 50%). Not a reliable sample obviously, but Ball could easily end up as JAG. Probably will win ROY though given the Laker hype machine and a lot of empty triple doubles, but I'm glad we have Tatum given how he and Fultz have looked so far.