Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 221823 times)

Re: 2017-2018 LA Lakers Season Watch Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2017, 12:51:47 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Is actually probably a good thing. Hey will be a little better we want them to have the 2nd worse record.😉😉😉

It's a bad thing once they add Rajon Rondo. They will be a 10th seed in the West with Rondo/Ball/KCP/Ingram/Lopez

That lineup looks terrible defensively.

It is, but it can't be any worse than one that featured Russell, Young and Williams. Those guys all played 25-30MPG and were among the very worst at their positions defensively. KCP is a massive upgrade over any of them.

Lopez is no DPOY but he's really no worse than Mozgov, even defensively. He's slow and protects the rim, and his DPM is at least average.
The Ball could be a lot worse than Russel and Young defensively actually and he's unlikely to be as good as Lou Williams was offensively.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2017, 01:03:29 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Is actually probably a good thing. Hey will be a little better we want them to have the 2nd worse record.😉😉😉

It's a bad thing once they add Rajon Rondo. They will be a 10th seed in the West with Rondo/Ball/KCP/Ingram/Lopez

It is, but it can't be any worse than one that featured Russell, Young and Williams. Those guys all played 25-30MPG and were among the very worst at their positions defensively. KCP is a massive upgrade over any of them.

Lopez is no DPOY but he's really no worse than Mozgov, even defensively. He's slow and protects the rim, and his DPM is at least average.
The Ball could be a lot worse than Russel and Young defensively actually and he's unlikely to be as good as Lou Williams was offensively.

Why? Russell and Young were just as bad defensively as your typical poor-defending rookie PG. Why would Ball be any worse?

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2017, 01:22:54 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Why? Russell and Young were just as bad defensively as your typical poor-defending rookie PG. Why would Ball be any worse?
That's not quite true. Young was actually OK defensively and while Russell certainly wasn't good, he had begun to learn to use his length to his advantage. I think Lonzo will be worse.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2017, 02:03:04 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
So, did Philly put the protection on in the Boston deal, or did LA put in on in the earlier deal with Philly?

In other words, if the Lakers get the 7th pick do they keep it, or does it go to Philly?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2017, 02:19:25 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
So, did Philly put the protection on in the Boston deal, or did LA put in on in the earlier deal with Philly?

In other words, if the Lakers get the 7th pick do they keep it, or does it go to Philly?

philly put protection on the 1, C's put protection if its above 5

if it's 7 then philly keeps it

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2017, 02:35:47 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
That's not quite true. Young was actually OK defensively and while Russell certainly wasn't good, he had begun to learn to use his length to his advantage. I think Lonzo will be worse.

The numbers don't support that, IMO.

Russell: 76th out of 83 point guards in DRPM (61st out of 68 last year)
Young: 70th out of 93 shooting guards (72nd out of 75 last year)

Meanwhile, Larry Nance was 11/81, Deng was 14/70, Brewer was 11/93, and Randle + Mozgov were more in the "ok" range.

Russell, Young, Clarkson and Williams were the 4 worst defenders on the worst defense in the league, and all of it was in line with their whole careers. Ball might fit right in, but being noticeably *worse* is a bold claim considering the baseline.

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Is it just me, or is LAL getting wildly overrated in recent power rankings? I've seen several lists where they're ranked 20th or higher, but I seriously cannot see 10 teams with worse records with them being in the loaded West. I think they're greatly exaggerating Lonzo's summer league performance and Lopez getting traded there.

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Is it just me, or is LAL getting wildly overrated in recent power rankings? I've seen several lists where they're ranked 20th or higher, but I seriously cannot see 10 teams with worse records with them being in the loaded West. I think they're greatly exaggerating Lonzo's summer league performance and Lopez getting traded there.
They get overrated every year...usually I bump them down 6 spots or so in years that they're young and unproven...usually us right so I guess they'll be at 26 or so, which means a good chance of getting that pick 8) ;D
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

The good news for them is that they have a total of 8 games against Indy, Brooklyn, Chicago and Atlanta.

The bad news for them is that they have 74 games against the rest of the league.

There are going to be a lot of 121-117 Lakers games this year. They'll win a few that they shouldn't win because a couple of players will get hot at the same time. I've got five teams behind  them, although I couldn't tell you which five it will be.

Mike

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2017, 11:28:03 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

The Laker win projections are always highly inflated almost everywhere you look (especially the last few years). I think part of it is no really wants to believe the Lakers, probably the League's premier franchise, are really THAT bad, even when they are. This is the longest stretch the Lakers have gone without the playoffs ever. The 2015-16 squad was probably their worst ever. No one wants to see them become the Knicks, for the sake of the league and all those who make a living covering it. Hence the insane Ball hype during summer league, as if they had just won the Championship haha.

Even Pelton was overestimating them by 7-8 wins for a few years and finally pulled back last year.

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2017, 12:19:15 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

They will prob have to hide Ball on the other teams SG and have KCP defend the PG

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2017, 12:35:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The Laker win projections are always highly inflated almost everywhere you look (especially the last few years). I think part of it is no really wants to believe the Lakers, probably the League's premier franchise, are really THAT bad, even when they are. This is the longest stretch the Lakers have gone without the playoffs ever. The 2015-16 squad was probably their worst ever. No one wants to see them become the Knicks, for the sake of the league and all those who make a living covering it. Hence the insane Ball hype during summer league, as if they had just won the Championship haha.

Even Pelton was overestimating them by 7-8 wins for a few years and finally pulled back last year.

I thought this too, but I went back and looked at last year's pre-season power rankings and they were 28-29 across the board.  Nets were last, and then it was a battle between the Lakers and Philly for second-worst.

That said, I'm of the mind that people do not understand how atrocious their defense will be this year, and how ultimately that's going to weigh down their record significantly.  They were bad at defense last year, and then added two poor defenders in Lopez and Ball.  KCP's defense is also questionable -- maybe not outright bad, but good is probably overrating him.  Randle isn't a good defender either.  A starting lineup of Ball, KCP, Ingram, Randle, and Lopez could wind up becoming a layup drill many nights.

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Espn just had a segment about banana boat 2018

Lebron / cp3 / Melo / wade joining the Lakers next off season as free agents

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2017, 01:00:52 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

I thought this too, but I went back and looked at last year's pre-season power rankings and they were 28-29 across the board.  Nets were last, and then it was a battle between the Lakers and Philly for second-worst.

That said, I'm of the mind that people do not understand how atrocious their defense will be this year, and how ultimately that's going to weigh down their record significantly.  They were bad at defense last year, and then added two poor defenders in Lopez and Ball.  KCP's defense is also questionable -- maybe not outright bad, but good is probably overrating him.  Randle isn't a good defender either.  A starting lineup of Ball, KCP, Ingram, Randle, and Lopez could wind up becoming a layup drill many nights.

I wouldn't worry too much about the power rankings. No media outlet ever went broke over-hyping the Lakers. The combined hype-bubble of Lonzo, Magic, and Pelinka is probably inflating Laker projections at least 5-6 games at the moment, even in betting markets. The Celtics have their own internal analytics that told them to trade for the pick. We'll see if it pays off..

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

This has been mentioned several times but after this past draft Philly owns the LAL pick with no protections (like Boston and Brooklyn picks this year and next). Philly put the No.1 protection and 6-30 in trade for Fultz (per Ainge's request so he can have a chance at a top 5 pick if he doesn't get one next year). Philly gets pick if it's not 2-5. That is all. Please make a note of it :)
As for next year, Philly put protection on the Sacramento pick they own outright without protection so if it's No. 1 Philly owns it and we get the Philly pick. Otherwise we get the better of the Sacramento of Philly pick (again, as long as it's not No.1 overall).