Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 221866 times)

Re: 2017-2018 LA Lakers Season Watch Thread
« Reply #375 on: November 04, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Zeller put effort in for,the Nets from what I saw .  Took a brutal charge .  He was not doing anything to help Celtics ,  standing around,  avoiding contact like KO. his play for Nets showed he was unhappy being a Celtic.  Glade he rode our bench and is history

« Reply #376 on: November 04, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
so far tonight, lonzo is shooting 2-12. i havent watched him this season.

is the bad shooting due to defenders playing him hard? or just plain old bad shooting?
when he misses his 3s, the ball goes left or right instead of short or long. Lol

This is why I knew Ainge and Stevens would stay away from Lonzo in the draft, his shooting motion is toxic and we are already seeing it, he'll be one of those guys who hits 5-7 from 3 one day then shoot 2-17 the next 4. People keep comparing him to Kidd but Jason was a fantastic defender from day one so if his shot wasn't falling he could be an asset on the other side of the court but Lonzo is terrible and seems quite lazy defensively, from picking up bad habits from his ego maniac father.
thanks sbbf. and over on SoSH i got this reply, which was helpful as well. author is lovegtm:

"He has below-average athleticism, so he's not able to get many high-percentage shots in the paint. At UCLA, he shot well at the rim, but if you watched the tape, it was basically all backdoor cuts and open dunks.

He's never been a good mid-range shooter, and his 3 takes a lot of space to get off. In college, he often had to step way back behind the line to get separation, and if you do that at the NBA 3-point line, you're getting close to halfcourt.

His passing skills are very very real, and he's a smart player and a good team defender, so I don't want to say he's garbage. But the shooting issues are also very real, and were fairly predictable."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #377 on: November 04, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We dodged a bullet by not taking Ball or Fultz. They both look awful, and I don't have much hope for either of them becoming franchise players or even perennial all-stars.

The Sixers should have just taken Fox or Smith Jr. at #3 and kept the Lakers/Kings pick.

The Lakers, well, I am not surprised one bit that Magic Johnson blew the best draft pick they have had in a long while in a deep draft.

So many guys that the Lakers could have taken that would have fit their team better and look like much better prospects. Markannen looks like a legit stud, Fox and Smith Jr. are great PG prospects, Josh Jackson would have been a great fit on the Lakers.

« Reply #378 on: November 04, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Not only does Lonzo Ball look like he is going to have a really hard time living up to the hype surrounding him, but the Lakers basically gave away D'Angelo Russell for free, only to see him have the beginnings of what looks like a breakout season in Brooklyn this year.

The Lakers should have kept D'Lo and ignored the bogus hype Lavar and the media was pushing. Magic got duped and I am loving every minute of it.

« Reply #379 on: November 04, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
We dodged a bullet by not taking Ball or Fultz. They both look awful, and I don't have much hope for either of them becoming franchise players or even perennial all-stars.

The Sixers should have just taken Fox or Smith Jr. at #3 and kept the Lakers/Kings pick.

The Lakers, well, I am not surprised one bit that Magic Johnson blew the best draft pick they have had in a long while in a deep draft.

So many guys that the Lakers could have taken that would have fit their team better and look like much better prospects. Markannen looks like a legit stud, Fox and Smith Jr. are great PG prospects, Josh Jackson would have been a great fit on the Lakers.
Don't understand why people make sweeping statements on young players a few games into their career.  Fultz and Lonzo have had bad starts but that doesn't mean they are going to be busts.  Tatum has had a nice start to his career but that doesn't mean he's going to be a franchise player or even end up better than Fultz or Lonzo. 

I would have just stayed at #3.  Good chance Fultz would have still been available anyway.  However I understand why Colangelo made the trade.  Fultz should fit very well with Simmons and Embiid.  Love Fox but he's a terrible fit with Simmons in the half court at this time.   They'd have been a terrifying duo in transition though.  Just not that high on Smith,  Think he's a stats stuffer. 

Not high on Lonzo.  Didn't understand why he was a ROY favorite.  He needs a several good shooters around him to excel and the Lakers certainly don't have them now.  If I were them, I would have taken Fox and slid Russell to SG, 

« Reply #380 on: November 05, 2017, 01:51:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Lakers play grizzlies today.

Lakers play Celtics Wednesday. 

« Reply #381 on: November 05, 2017, 01:53:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Don't understand why people make sweeping statements on young players a few games into their career.  Fultz and Lonzo have had bad starts but that doesn't mean they are going to be busts.  Tatum has had a nice start to his career but that doesn't mean he's going to be a franchise player or even end up better than Fultz or Lonzo. 

I would have just stayed at #3.  Good chance Fultz would have still been available anyway.  However I understand why Colangelo made the trade.  Fultz should fit very well with Simmons and Embiid.  Love Fox but he's a terrible fit with Simmons in the half court at this time.   They'd have been a terrifying duo in transition though.  Just not that high on Smith,  Think he's a stats stuffer. 

Not high on Lonzo.  Didn't understand why he was a ROY favorite.  He needs a several good shooters around him to excel and the Lakers certainly don't have them now.  If I were them, I would have taken Fox and slid Russell to SG,
have you seen how bad simmons and Fultz fit? They didn't know what  to do

« Reply #382 on: November 05, 2017, 03:35:23 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Lonzo looks like bust city to me. Hes shooting like 30% from the field. 25% from 3. 35% FROM TWO. Just awful. That's not going to improve that much. They should move him now.

« Reply #383 on: November 05, 2017, 03:40:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

have you seen how bad simmons and Fultz fit? They didn't know what  to do
Because Fultz screwed up his shot and wouldn't take any jumpers.  Simmons is playing fine with McConnell who is not a good shooter but will take the shot when open.  Even if Fultz hadn't done so, I don't think he's ready to be a starter yet on a team trying to make they playoffs.  When Fultz comes back, they should bring him off the bench for around 15mpg.  Like we did with Brown last season. 

People seem to put aside all reason when knocking the Sixers.  Being a good fit doesn't mean plug and play especially when dealing with 3 very inexperienced players.  Lebron, Wade and Bosh turned Miami into a 2 time champion but their 1st 20 games together were rough. 

« Reply #384 on: November 05, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Pic did not work ..oh well  ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:57:10 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #385 on: November 05, 2017, 05:44:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
As of right now lakers tied for 6th worst in nba with 4 other teams

They face grizzlies tonight.

« Reply #386 on: November 05, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Actually tied for 8th now with the Cavs loss. 

« Reply #387 on: November 05, 2017, 06:03:30 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

The CLE defense is so abysmal. Like, so so bad.

« Reply #388 on: November 05, 2017, 06:17:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

The CLE defense is so abysmal. Like, so so bad.
Right at the bottom of the league.  Which is quite an accomplishment considering the number of other lousy defensive teams in the league. 

« Reply #389 on: November 05, 2017, 10:56:13 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

seriously though, please lose tonight geeeez