Author Topic: Click Bait?: Celts Stockpiling Assets To Make A Run At Anthony Davis 'Soon'  (Read 7836 times)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
#3, Brook 2018, LAK/PHilly 2018, Brown, Rozier is a hell of a franchise starting move for Davis.

Move Bradley, Crowder, three future firsts for Butler. Sign Hayward.

IT/Smart
Butler/Green
Hayward/vet min 3-D guy.
Horford/Jerebko
Davis/Zizic

That does not work under the salary cap.  Not even close.

The closest to that we could get is Thomas - Bradley - Hayward - Davis - Horford and possibly keep Zizic.  I guess we could re-sign Jerebko, but it would have to be for the room exception.

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Pipe dream.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
#3, Brook 2018, LAK/PHilly 2018, Brown, Rozier is a hell of a franchise starting move for Davis.

IT/Smart
Butler/Green
Hayward/vet min 3-D guy.
Horford/Jerebko
Davis/Zizic

The closest to that we could get is Thomas - Bradley - Hayward - Davis - Horford and possibly keep Zizic.  I guess we could re-sign Jerebko, but it would have to be for the room exception.

It works if you add Crowder, since the #3 pick makes $5.6M and the total comes out around $17M+.

Then you swap in Smart + DJax for Crowder in the Butler deal.

So:

1) Sign Hayward
2) #3, Crowder, Brown, picks for Davis
3) Bradley, Smart, DJax, picks for Butler

IT/ Butler/ Hayward/ Davis/ Horford
(Rozier, Zizic, Yabusele)

I mean, that's insane, but the proposed deals weren't way off.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

IT/Smart
Butler/Green
Hayward/vet min 3-D guy.
Horford/Jerebko
Davis/Zizic

It works if you add Crowder, since the #3 pick makes $5.6M and the total comes out around $17M+.

Then you swap in Smart + DJax for Crowder in the Butler deal.

So:

1) Sign Hayward
2) #3, Crowder, Brown, picks for Davis
3) Bradley, Smart, DJax, picks for Butler

IT/ Butler/ Hayward/ Davis/ Horford
(Rozier, Zizic, Yabusele)

I mean, that's insane, but the proposed deals weren't way off.

In order for that to work you'd have to keep Yabusele stashed for another year, and trade Rozier for cap relief in order to sign Hayward.

You'd also have to wait to trade for Butler and Davis until after signing Hayward, and Hayward may not sign here if you don't have them first.  Also, once you make the pick you'll need the outgoing salary to match in trade, but have to wait another 30 days to make the trade.  That's a long time to wait on a deal and it could easily fall apart.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
In order for that to work you'd have to keep Yabusele stashed for another year, and trade Rozier for cap relief in order to sign Hayward.

You'd also have to wait to trade for Butler and Davis until after signing Hayward, and Hayward may not sign here if you don't have them first.  Also, once you make the pick you'll need the outgoing salary to match in trade, but have to wait another 30 days to make the trade.  That's a long time to wait on a deal and it could easily fall apart.

We're saving over $1M on the #1 => #3 move. Stashing Yabusele is pretty trivial in this scenario, and it's not crazy to expect Hayward would take like a 3% pay cut if he knew Butler and Davis were coming. So, I don't think we're stuck on Hayward.

I agree the 30 days would be crazy, and the whole thing would be pretty unprecedented. Then again, KG was no guarantee when we traded #5 for Ray Allen. He could have personally vetoed it still.

It would all come back to New Orleans. Hayward would have all the motivation in the world to get it done, and so would Chicago as they would look awful backing out after months to years of conversations about Butler, with a strong deal on agreed to. Trusting New Orleans to trade Anthony Davis 30 days later is in fact scary (although ending up stuck with Hayward and Butler isn't exactly the end of the world).

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Gary Tanguay started all of this Fake News.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.