Author Topic: Click Bait?: Celts Stockpiling Assets To Make A Run At Anthony Davis 'Soon'  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Right now is when it makes sense to maybe roll the dice with Boogie. Team needs an upgrade, he won't cost you much and you get a one year look - and if he responds and likes it here....

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This is actually fake news. The report they cite is Mannix saying that Davis is NOT available.

Thank you.

This is starting to get sad and embarrassing. It's like we're all just actively trying to cope with the whole "we just traded the #1 pick" thing and grasping at straws. I'm sure Ainge would love to make a run at Davis, but with him locked into 4 more years - with no opt outs - New Orleans is under no pressure to move him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I think it's worth the phone call. I have doubts the call gets very far.

Maybe send Horford and stuff

Say we get lucky and we have 1 and 3 in next years draft. If the pelicans smell next year like they are going to i think it would be hard for them to pass up

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
I think it's worth the phone call. I have doubts the call gets very far.

Maybe send Horford and stuff

Say we get lucky and we have 1 and 3 in next years draft. If the pelicans smell next year like they are going to i think it would be hard for them to pass up
The only way Davis gets moved is if he tells ownership he wants out.  You see everyone freaking out here over a guy who hasn't proven a thing?  Imagine the reaction in NO if they move Davis for picks. 

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I've been calling this for a couple years now. The Pels might HAVE to trade Davis eventually, he is not going to compete for a championship there and could threaten to leave for nothing. He has to know that the Pels organization in INEPT.

Davis's contract expires in 2020 and he has a player option for the 2020/21 season.

Almost certain he opts out for more $.

The Pels have $64M committed already in 2018/2019, much of it in garbage contracts like Solomon hill, ajinca, asik, etc.

That year they will presumably re-up Cousins at the max of $35M or whatever. So really they will have little or no cap space at all when you factor in cap holds for roster spots/draft picks etc. That means it's highly unlikely they get any significant free agent help that year.

Under this scenario their cap will be just as tied up in the 2019/2020 season.

So they will likely be not good enough to contend, but just good enough to not get decent draft picks to trade.

They are in big trouble. Davis might easily see the futility of their situation and demand a trade.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
#3, Brook 2018, LAK/PHilly 2018, Brown, Rozier is a hell of a franchise starting move for Davis.

Move Bradley, Crowder, three future firsts for Butler. Sign Hayward.

IT/Smart
Butler/Green
Hayward/vet min 3-D guy.
Horford/Jerebko
Davis/Zizic

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
#3, Brook 2018, LAK/PHilly 2018, Brown, Rozier is a hell of a franchise starting move for Davis.

Move Bradley, Crowder, three future firsts for Butler. Sign Hayward.

IT/Smart
Butler/Green
Hayward/vet min 3-D guy.
Horford/Jerebko
Davis/Zizic

Eww I couldn't do it. That's putting all your eggs in one basket and praying you will beat golden state. Issue with this is, if you can't beat them or still lose to the Cavs, yo I have 0 flexibility to fix whatever is not working as you got rid of all your meaningful picks, youth, and cap flexibility.

Also on this note. From what I'm seeing now in the league is no matter what player it is they really aren't being traded for all that much. look at cousins, our #1, or when Dwight got traded. Just keep that in mind. The nets was the only rareity other than that its been like 1 or 2 picks or decent not even great players.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I've said this before even this trade went down. While AD is an untradeable type star, NO is kinda stuck.

Their too bad to make a dent in the playoffs, and not a FA destination. They have a ton of cap taken up by crap players, and they all have 3 years left, so two more years before they can use them in trades as expirings.

They are too good to be in the top 5 unless they get really lucky, and even if next years pick is #1, it's 4 or 5 years before the kid can really help make a run in the playoffs, unless it's a Lebron/Jordan type.

I could see DA make one more move to SAC who's been wanting to get into the top 3, and has worked Jackson out, for their 5 and 10, and additional 1st rounder(if they have any).

But DA could throw Pick #5&10, Nets 2018,LA's 2018or SAC 2019,Mem pick and Clips pick AB/Johnson/Young and maybe Crowder so we can still sign Hayward. Thats a heck of a jumpstart to their rebuild, and you can now factor in an couple pics for Cousins, and their own pick.

Now it's still a long shot,but this could be their best bet in rebuilding they will ever have. They haven't been able to build around AD, this gives them a fresh slate.

In three years name a team that would have a better offer than that.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The only way I can conceive of Davis, is if the Celts somehow managed to swap him for Horford and assets. That has huge salary implications for us, and in fantasy land helps desperate New Orleans win some games sooner. Their roster is absolute garbage after Cousins/Davis.

Horford, Smart, Crowder, BKN18, LAC19
<=>
Davis + filler (say Ajinca & Poindexter)

New Orleans gets 3 new starters in the deal, a Brooklyn pick, and a future gamble on the Clippers pick.

Smart/ Hield/ Crowder/ Cousins/ Horford is a real upgrade for them in the wins column versus where they are headed (Davis, Cousins, and a bunch of backups).

Our core becomes:
IT/ Hayward/ Brown/ #3 pick/ Davis/ LAL18orSAC19

Remainers are Bradley, Rozier, Zizic, Yabusele, DJax

We might even free up enough $$ in that deal to re-sign KO, Davis runs about $5M/year cheaper than Horford, we no longer have to pay Smart, and Brown/#3 pick will be there if Bradley walks next summer.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Anthony Davis is the definition of untouchable.

Best asset in the league.  As untouchable as any one. But I cannot imagine N.O. saying no to:

'17 #3 + BKN '18, LA '18/SAC '19 + whoever they desire among Bradley/Crowder/Smart. 

Declining that offer seems unfathomable.  While he's no Justice Winslow, I can see Ainge making an offer that outrageous for AD.

We would likely add Jaylen and Zizic into that deal, and we have other future 1st rounders to add too. It's a great offer for the Pelicans.
Why would we give everything of value on the roster for Anthony Davis? As great as he is, NO has shown that Anthony Davis + junk isn't nearly enough to go anywhere in the postseason, and Anthony Davis + IT isn't beating anyone significant.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
The only way I can conceive of Davis, is if the Celts somehow managed to swap him for Horford and assets. That has huge salary implications for us, and in fantasy land helps desperate New Orleans win some games sooner. Their roster is absolute garbage after Cousins/Davis.

Horford, Smart, Crowder, BKN18, LAC19
<=>
Davis + filler (say Ajinca & Poindexter)

New Orleans gets 3 new starters in the deal, a Brooklyn pick, and a future gamble on the Clippers pick.

Smart/ Hield/ Crowder/ Cousins/ Horford is a real upgrade for them in the wins column versus where they are headed (Davis, Cousins, and a bunch of backups).

Our core becomes:
IT/ Hayward/ Brown/ #3 pick/ Davis/ LAL18orSAC19

Remainers are Bradley, Rozier, Zizic, Yabusele, DJax

Heild playing for SAC, which was the key part in the Cousins trade.

They wont move Horford to AD unless we are moving from IT too, which, who knows could be the case, but it also looks bad from a FA standpoint if they are looking at the C's. AD is to go with Horford, and we move AB/Crowder/Johnson to make room, and still sign FA because we wll have saved a few million more by not taking this years pick, making room fro Yabu and Zizc as bench players.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Yup, my bad on Hield. Although that does reinforce just how garbage their roster is after Cousins/Davis.

I'd give it like a 1 in a million shot of happening, but my point is more that it's impossible to trade equal value for Davis. The only way to do that is blow up your whole roster and decide to start all over with Davis as the first piece. What we can do, theoretically, is show New Orleans a path to the playoffs, and maybe save a GM's job. That's our leverage. On top of that, if you can get Anthony Davis without blowing up the money game, then it's (theoretically) possible. You can't pay $80M+/year to him, Horford and IT though, no matter what, because then you'd lose everything else but players on rookie deals.

In fantasy land, if you can deal for Davis with Horford, you can also sign Griffin instead of Hayward.

IT/ Bradley/ Brown/ Griffin/ Davis

File under "video game trades", of course.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
Anthony Davis is the definition of untouchable.

Best asset in the league.  As untouchable as any one. But I cannot imagine N.O. saying no to:

'17 #3 + BKN '18, LA '18/SAC '19 + whoever they desire among Bradley/Crowder/Smart. 

Declining that offer seems unfathomable.  While he's no Justice Winslow, I can see Ainge making an offer that outrageous for AD.

We would likely add Jaylen and Zizic into that deal, and we have other future 1st rounders to add too. It's a great offer for the Pelicans.
Why would we give everything of value on the roster for Anthony Davis? As great as he is, NO has shown that Anthony Davis + junk isn't nearly enough to go anywhere in the postseason, and Anthony Davis + IT isn't beating anyone significant.

I'd keep Smart, move Rozier, sign Hayward, and no way Brown goes if the nets 2018 and this years pick goes too.

IT/Smart
Brown/FA
Hayward/Green/Nader
AD/Yabu/FA
Horford/Zizic

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
if he was that good, wouldn't NO be in the playoffs every year?

wow, what a crappy disappointing day this is.

This trade was pure greed --- for more draft picks.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I posted that I thought the move was to go get AD.

In Danny we trust!!!!