Author Topic: Please Ainge. DON'T Trade For Butler.  (Read 3247 times)

Re: Please Ainge. DON'T Trade For Butler.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I dont understand the OP here.

You're talking about bit wanting to give up multiple high picks for Butler, but its anyway been said that Chicago offered him to Boston for the #3 alone and Boston said no.   So what makes you believe Danny is even contemplating giving then the #3 plus additional picks? Why would he thrI w in extra picks if he doesn't need to?

Secondly,  you ask how much of an upgrade ur woukd be going from Bradley Or Crowder to Butler....and the answer is a huge one.   Did you not just see the nba playoffs this year?   Boston was wildly inconsistent and was far too dependant on Isaiah Thomas as their only consistent threat.  Guys like Bradley and Crowder were inconsistent - they shot well one day,  terribly yet next.,  abd the game's they shot poorly in were generally the ones in which Boston got blown out.  Not just beaten,  but well ok  and truly blown out.

Boston got the #1 seed this year,  made it to the ECF. The only way we can take a step forward as a team is to assemble a roster that is capable of defeating Cleveland abs getting it to the finals,  and the only way we can do that is by getting our hands on a genuine two-way star like Paul George or Butler - somebody who can make Lebron work on both ends of the court, get him tired,  help to slow him down a little.   

It's been reported that Danny won't go after Paul for a one year rental,  so that means realistically Butler is the only guy.

Now what you're seemingly forgetting is that we can pull off a Butker trade and STILL maintain max cap space - which means we can trade for Butler AND still go after Hayward or Griffin in free agency...and if we add both guys,  then his much of an upgrade is that over Avery Bradley?  A freakin huge one.

And that's pretty much what we need to do if we want a shot at both Cleveland and Golden state. We need to trade for Butler - he woukd take this team to a whole other level.

Re: Please Ainge, don't OVERPAY For Butler.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 04:27:52 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu5ZTx54BLE

butler @ kimmel, seems like pretty funny dude

See I feel the same way about him (seems like a funny dude, and a hard worker, no question).

But I've heard some people (even Bulls fans) say he can be a big diva at times and his attitude can be unbearable.

Isaiah Thomas also had a rep as a selfish guy before he landed in Boston. Quite frankly, "attitude" issues don't bother me as much if you can back it up with your play and commitment. Jimmy Butler came into the league pegged as a guy who might be a solid defensive role player, he's made himself into an All-NBA, All-Star player.

This is a guy who turned down what was considered a fair market value extension offer from the Bulls because he thought he could become a max caliber guy, then went out and won the Most Improved Player award and securing that max deal.

As strange as it sounds, not all NBA players have that level work ethic.
Great post, TP.  The OP thinks we as fans overvalue Butler, but from what I see in CB, he is generally underrated with the thought he doesn't get the team over the top.  At the right price, I disagree and I've changed the post title to reflect that.  I'm happy to part with the #3 and Crowder.  Bradley is a tough one but if pressed I would include him. 

Re: Please Ainge. DON'T Trade For Butler.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 07:33:03 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think there are three very important stats that demonstrate exactly how important it is for Boston to trade for Jimmy Butler.  Those two stats are as follows:

1) 10.5 PPG - this is the average margin of victory Chicago recorded while winning the season series against the Cavs 4-0.  That's right  - not only did the Bulls win every single time they faced the Cavs, they won by a double figure average...led by Jimmy Butler.

2) 28.0 PPG - this is what Lebron averaged against the Bulls, and honestly a pretty pedestrian number by Lebron standards.  He scored 30+ only once in that season series, 27 and 26 in the othe two games (both below his season average) and didnt play in one of the games.   

3) 22.25 PPG - Jimmy Butler scored 26, 20, 18 and 25 in the four games, averaging only 1 PPG below his season average when going has to head to head against Lebron.

What does this show? It shows that Jimmy Butler is as close to LeBron's Kryptonite as there is in this league.  He's proven that he's not afraid of Lebron, and that he can go head to head against him consistently on both ends of the court,  and more importantly that he can beat him - consistently.

If that isnt enough to prove hes worthy, then I don't know what is.