Author Topic: Please Ainge. DON'T Trade For Butler.  (Read 3253 times)

Please Ainge. DON'T Trade For Butler.
« on: June 18, 2017, 03:07:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
First off, maybe we have the assets now to pull off a Butler deal while still likely keeping at least one Top-5 pick next year (or 2019 if the Lakers finish #1 or #6-30 next year with that 2018 Lakers Pick we acquire).

But I really don't think Butler elevates us as much people think.

Is he better than Smart and Bradley? Absolutely.

BUT if you have to say, trade Bradley and one of Crowder/Smart to get him, how much are we really improving the team then if we have to get rid of those guys too.

And honestly, trading away #3 AND one of the 2018 Nets Pick OR Lakers Pick just seems like an overpay alone (and that's without considering the players being sent in the deal too).

And I'm sure the plan is to get Hayward, who also plays the 3 and can play the 4, or even the 2 at times. That creates a logjam at the 2/3 positions with Brown, Crowder?, and then Butler + Hayward.

I say this because it seems like MOST people (media and fans alike) think Ainge's next move is to trade for Butler using some of the accumulated assets, and then signing a max FA like Hayward/Griffin.

I love Butler but think he's a tad bit overrated, and I don't see him getting us any closer to Cleveland's level to be frank. Paul George would, but his contract situation and Lakers love makes that a bad idea as well.

Thoughts? And if it were me, I'd draft Jackson/Tatum, or if they feel either (or even Isaac, another intriguing prospect) could drop to #5, just trade down from #3 to #5 and #10.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Please Ainge. DON'T Trade For Butler.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Would you make a massive overpay for Anthony Davis?  I'm 98% certain that's happening behind the scenes right now. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
It all depends on the price for me. Butler is a likeable guy who is tough and wants to win. Works hard and seems to be good friends with e.g. Crowder/Brown and others... Not so with Smart who is not about that life.

So you don't trade 2 of our 3 best draft assets for him
1. BKN 2018
2. #3 pick 2017
3. LAL/SAC pick

So I am fine with: #3 pick 2017 + LAC 2019 + MEM PICK + Bradley + Zeller
I even would do: #3 pick 2017 + Bradley + Crowder + Zeller (try to get back Ro-Lo)

I am not in favor of a trade like:
#3 + BKN 2018, then it stops....

#3 + LAL/SAC is a conversation.... but then you have to ask yourself, would you have traded the #1 overall for Butler, the downtrading we did looks like ainge wanted to split his pick into 2 assets. I think the main reason danny did not deal for Butler at the trade deadline was a possibility to get #1 overall.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
It all depends on the price for me. Butler is a likeable guy who is tough and wants to win. Works hard and seems to be good friends with e.g. Crowder/Brown and others... Not so with Smart who is not about that life.

1. BKN 2018
2. #3 pick 2017
3. LAL/SAC pick

I even would do: #3 pick 2017 + Bradley + Crowder + Zeller (try to get back Ro-Lo)

#3 + LAL/SAC is a conversation.... but then you have to ask yourself, would you have traded the #1 overall for Butler, the downtrading we did looks like ainge wanted to split his pick into 2 assets. I think the main reason danny did not deal for Butler at the trade deadline was a possibility to get #1 overall.

I guess you can look at it like, you trade #1 for Butler AND a Top-5 pick next year.

In a draft loaded with franchise changing big men!

But yeah if the Bulls want #3 AND one of those 2018 picks (Nets one especially), forget it.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 03:33:36 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I don't like to trade for Butler as well. An extended Paul George, I could probably get down with that.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 03:43:52 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu5ZTx54BLE

butler @ kimmel, seems like pretty funny dude

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 05:20:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

1. BKN 2018
2. #3 pick 2017
3. LAL/SAC pick

Right, otherwise he could have tried to deal the #1 directly to Chicago for Butler.  The point was to gain an asset in the Philly deal. 

So I would do your 2nd option, #3 pick 2017 + Bradley + Crowder + Zeller for Butler.  Zeller + Crowder=$14mm and JB at $17mm. 

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

See I feel the same way about him (seems like a funny dude, and a hard worker, no question).

But I've heard some people (even Bulls fans) say he can be a big diva at times and his attitude can be unbearable.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 08:22:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Would you make a massive overpay for Anthony Davis?  I'm 98% certain that's happening behind the scenes right now.

My statistics knowledge may not be great, but 2% > 98% right? Like it's certainly NOT happening?

Eh who knows what to believe anymore.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 08:22:16 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Yes.  Anthony Davis is maybe the single most valuable player in the league right now, with Giannis right up there.

I'd give any and all picks for AD, but only him.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Yes.  Anthony Davis is maybe the single most valuable player in the league right now, with Giannis right up there.

I'd give any and all picks for AD, but only him.

Better hope he can hypothetically get us past Cleveland and Golden State.

I don't think he could alone, but if somehow they got AD + a max/near max FA, it's possible.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 03:28:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Still in the belief that we should draft Tatum OR Isaac (although I'd consider a trade down for Isaac since he could be had at #5 maybe?)

I don't think Ainge wants Jimmy Butler.

So either wait out possible last minute, boneheaded decisions by Phil Jackson for Porzingis... OR draft, then target Hayward/Griffin.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

See I feel the same way about him (seems like a funny dude, and a hard worker, no question).

But I've heard some people (even Bulls fans) say he can be a big diva at times and his attitude can be unbearable.

Isaiah Thomas also had a rep as a selfish guy before he landed in Boston. Quite frankly, "attitude" issues don't bother me as much if you can back it up with your play and commitment. Jimmy Butler came into the league pegged as a guy who might be a solid defensive role player, he's made himself into an All-NBA, All-Star player.

This is a guy who turned down what was considered a fair market value extension offer from the Bulls because he thought he could become a max caliber guy, then went out and won the Most Improved Player award and secured that max deal.

As strange as it sounds, not all NBA players have that level work ethic.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:43:37 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
No, you're not 98% certain of anything when it comes to the draft or the Celtics front office. That's ridiculous.

And why would we - using your term - "overpay" for anyone? You're admitting that we'd be getting a bad deal. Anthony Davis without a great supporting cast isn't leading us anywhere. NO couldn't even make the playoffs with AD & Cousins. Trading for anyone that doesn't leave a clear avenue to continue improving the team in the future is a terrible, short-sighted idea. The NJ picks are a special gift we may never see the likes of again, and the 2018 draft is incredible at the top.

OTOH, a package of #3, a few vets, and perhaps the LAL pick and the Memphos pick is more reasonable, although NO would likely not go for that. IMO, unless Kevin Durant or Kawhi Leonard can be had, I'm not giving up BRK 18 for anyone. Everyone keeps throwing that pick away when it could be pure gold. And that's the pick every team we talk with is going to covet above every other asset we have.

Any trade for AD that doesn't at least leave us with Brown and at least one of our high draft picks is a bad idea.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I understand not overpaying...but he can play.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/butleji01.html