Author Topic: Really couldn't have fought for more favorable protections...?  (Read 3714 times)

Re: Really couldn't have fought for more favorable protections...?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think the protections are very favorable.  I think it's really hard to do better (part of why the Nets trade was such a fleecing).  He did the best he could to guarantee a top 5 pick basically, and it could even be the first pick if it becomes the Sac one.

Nonesense.  Ainge could have held out until draft day.  Asked for no-protections on the LA pick.
Frankley, we should have asked for that and the Sac Pick.  It's a small price for moving up in this draft.  Danny dealt way to early.  Could have held out until Wednesday anyway.  Makes no sense.
Even if another deal is in the works. 

Easy to beat this guy in poker.

Except if he's dealing with a team who hasn't worked out Jackson/Tatum/Ball ect, this gives them time to try and get a work out. Now DA will take a player who he hasn't seen the weeks prior to the draft. PP was taken never working out for the C's.

But maybe team X wants to know for sure DA has that move in place before moving on with talks.

Also if was put out there that DA wasn't in love with Fultz, who said the price would have gone up closer he got. This could have gone the other way if GM's thought DA was desperate to get out of the #1 spot.

The protection doesn't bother me, we get the pick next year if it's 2-5, or we end up with SAC's pick, both should be good. AND we still have the NETS pick. Which makes the LA/Sac pick good, because we can get a top 5 pick either next year or the year after even if we deal the Nets pick.

And if you've read the reports, DA doesn't care about the protections, he's moving them anyways in the next move, so it's THAT teams problem. 

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
These are really favorable protections, either we get a Top 5 pick next year (barring #1) or the unprotected pick of a team that's likely to be utterly terrible that year. With the exception of the #1 they couldn't be much more favorable to us.
It couldn't be more unfavourable for us when the NBA decides to screw us by giving Philly two top 5 picks by making the LA pick 1.  We should really push to get rid of that trash protection at 1.

Then we get Sacramento's unprotected pick, though I suppose that will be rigged against us because reasons too.  When everything's driven by conspiracy protections are moot.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I think the protections are very favorable.  I think it's really hard to do better (part of why the Nets trade was such a fleecing).  He did the best he could to guarantee a top 5 pick basically, and it could even be the first pick if it becomes the Sac one.

Nonesense.  Ainge could have held out until draft day.  Asked for no-protections on the LA pick.
Frankley, we should have asked for that and the Sac Pick.  It's a small price for moving up in this draft.  Danny dealt way to early.  Could have held out until Wednesday anyway.  Makes no sense.

Except if he's dealing with a team who hasn't worked out Jackson/Tatum/Ball ect, this gives them time to try and get a work out. Now DA will take a player who he hasn't seen the weeks prior to the draft. PP was taken never working out for the C's.

For what? Jimmy freaking Butler? That's not moving the needle in any way whatsoever.

Jimmy Butler is, at best, the 4th best player in a series against the Warriors. If that's the reason, it's utterly retarded.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Nonsense back at you.  Giving up the #3, Lakers 2018 and Kings 2019 would have been a big overpay.  Fultz may be the best prospect in this draft but it isn't by a huge margin.  I'm not sure that he even has the best upside.  He isn't a franchise player. 

Why would holding out matter to the Sixers?  The Sixers weren't desperate to trade up.  Considering Ainge wants picks not players, who was going to top the their offer? 

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

The argument to your point is that the current protections are actually better than if there was no protection.   The Lakers stand a decent chance of challenging for a playoff spot this year.  This would potentially leave the Cs with an 8-15 type pick if unprotected. But in the current plan, the Cs would end up with the Sac pick which by most accounts projects to a top 5 pick in 2019.  Actually winds up as better chance for a top 5 puck.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

The argument to your point is that the current protections are actually better than if there was no protection.   The Lakers stand a decent chance of challenging for a playoff spot this year.  This would potentially leave the Cs with an 8-15 type pick if unprotected. But in the current plan, the Cs would end up with the Sac pick which by most accounts projects to a top 5 pick in 2019.  Actually winds up as better chance for a top 5 puck.

This. The protections benefit the Celtics, with the exception of the #1 pick not being included

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 01:49:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
These are really favorable protections, either we get a Top 5 pick next year (barring #1) or the unprotected pick of a team that's likely to be utterly terrible that year. With the exception of the #1 they couldn't be much more favorable to us.
It couldn't be more unfavourable for us when the NBA decides to screw us by giving Philly two top 5 picks by making the LA pick 1.  We should really push to get rid of that trash protection at 1.

Then we get Sacramento's unprotected pick, though I suppose that will be rigged against us because reasons too.  When everything's driven by conspiracy protections are moot.
And the only reason we're in this situation is because we won the lottery (1st 3 draws were us).  If there really was a conspiracy, we'd still be griping about get the #4 pick in the lottery. 

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 02:04:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think the thing that bothers me the most is that top 1 protection. While unlikely (even if the Lakers are the worst, it is still only a 25% chance), it is the kind of thing that will give me nightmares until the draft lottery takes place. It's almost like creating a thread on the Lakers pick will be a jinx.

Overall, though, I love the 6-30 protection and the fact that the fallback option is Sacramento's pick in '19. Is there any team out there that seriously projects to be worse than Sacramento? It might not be a top 5 pick, but Danny did as well as he could to make sure it is without REALLY knowing.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 02:06:49 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Exactly.  To me it's kind of like having two shots at getting a top 5 pick.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 02:11:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
They're not bad, but I would've fought to include Holmes in the deal.  He's now a luxury on what's becoming a dangerously big and talented team.  At worst, Luwawu, if Ainge expects to move AB/Crowder/Smart.
Singe wants less salary. Not more. That's part of the reason for trading the 1.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yes, if it conveys in 2019. The 'fallback' is getting one of 2-5 in 2018 which almost surely would be a very good big man.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 02:20:02 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Yes, if it conveys in 2019. The 'fallback' is getting one of 2-5 in 2018 which almost surely would be a very good big man.

Lets say the Nets pick is 3 and we trade up  :laugh: :laugh:
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Oh boy. This better be more reverse protection:

I've been hearing from a few places that in addition to Lakers pick there are some parameters on '19 Kings pick Cs would get from Phi.

https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/876526696861757440
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers