Author Topic: Trying to make sense about the pending deal with Philly.  (Read 1088 times)

Trying to make sense about the pending deal with Philly.
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'm having a hard time making sense about this deal.

If Danny isn't sold on Fultz or really like another guy, why he would make the deal now and not on draft night? If Philly really want Fultz at #1 they can wait another 3 days. On the other hand, Danny makes it safer by waiting Lakers pick before committing the swap.
To me, this doesn't make any sense. Even if you are sold on 2 players, there is no harm to wait till Thursday.
Also I don't buy the value about the lakers pick. Danny has no idea what LA will do this summer and he's not the type to take this kind of risk that the pick end up around 10.

Wyc said after getting the #1 pick that it is more valuable to have a talent at low cost during 8 to 9 years rather than a talented vet players for 4 years.

That makes me think that maybe Danny and Wyc must have a plan in place that will come in fruition soon (like making a big 4 or even a big 5 team that is better than the Cavs).

Maybe we can get some clues about why the deal is before draft night. Once Danny get #3 on monday, what is he able to do with it? Is he allow to trade it back to another team before the draft? Can he trade it after picking up the player thursday?

Any expert that knows all those subtleties?

Re: Trying to make sense about the pending deal with Philly.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I have a gut feeling he is doing this to hang on to Avery Bradley, which makes me dislike the trade even more. I'm starting to feel like this backcourt is holding this franchise back, unless we can get an AD in here to really help us compete.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:21:13 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
It makes no sense. We're deciding on Tatum or Jackson, for what?

This has to be the stupidest deal ever
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:21:28 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The trade is not official, and it won't be until Thursday night.

Wyc say basketball things that are either not true or don't happen.  Just ignore it.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Seems like a terrible decision to me.  Josh Jackson might not even be an NBA starter, and that's who ESPN is currently projecting them to take.   

Jason Tatum would be fine there's a lot of Paul Pierce in him and at worse he's Shane Battier.

De'Aaron Fox would make the most sense as an Ainge pick.  I've been saying all year he fits the Ainge profile for point guards. Punky defender, lots of hustle, superior athlete, bad shooter.

But the clear runaway best player in this draft is Markell Fultz and the Celtics have apparently decided to give him to the 6'ers for - of all things - more draft picks. 

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 09:43:44 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

If Danny isn't sold on Fultz or really like another guy, why he would make the deal now and not on draft night? If Philly really want Fultz at #1 they can wait another 3 days. On the other hand, Danny makes it safer by waiting Lakers pick before committing the swap.
To me, this doesn't make any sense. Even if you are sold on 2 players, there is no harm to wait till Thursday.
Also I don't buy the value about the lakers pick. Danny has no idea what LA will do this summer and he's not the type to take this kind of risk that the pick end up around 10.

Wyc said after getting the #1 pick that it is more valuable to have a talent at low cost during 8 to 9 years rather than a talented vet players for 4 years.

That makes me think that maybe Danny and Wyc must have a plan in place that will come in fruition soon (like making a big 4 or even a big 5 team that is better than the Cavs).

Maybe we can get some clues about why the deal is before draft night. Once Danny get #3 on monday, what is he able to do with it? Is he allow to trade it back to another team before the draft? Can he trade it after picking up the player thursday?

I am no expert but I would pose this scenario:

Celtics top priority this offseason is adding Gordon Hayward.  It has been mentioned that if he slots in with a max deal, also while adding the #1 pick rookie contract, then the team needs to shed additional salary, possibly by trading Avery Bradley.  Danny and Brad love Avery and really do not want to do that.  I would imagine Hayward would rather sign on a Boston team with Avery than without him.

They land the #1 pick and start vetting Fultz hard.  They come to the conclusion that he is a talented player but has enough flaws that make Jackson, Tatum, or Ball equivalent (and cheaper) prospects.

PHI is a natural partner to trade down because they have future probable top-5 picks and a need for Fultz.  BOS pulls the trigger.

The Celtics now have a scenario where they can openly commit to Hayward (or Griffin) that no core players from last year's team will be moved to fit them on the roster.

The Celtics also get an additional future 1st, likely top-5, that they can basically toss in any deal. 

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 09:46:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Bc there is a chance Lakers take Fultz at 2 and the 76ers dont want to risk it

As for the Celtics sounds like they are ok with either tatum or jackson.  Plus save capspace. Plus get another top future pick