Author Topic: The Pros and Cons of the proposed trade  (Read 2527 times)

The Pros and Cons of the proposed trade
« on: June 18, 2017, 01:41:24 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I trust Danny Ainge, have defended him before because sometimes even if the moves fail, you can understand the logic behind it. This time, I do understand the logic, but I have a very bad feeling about this. I feel like listing the Pros and Cons OBJECTIVELY will help us get warmer to the idea. We can take turns adding up to the list.

PROS

-If there is really not much separation between the number 1 pick and number 3, we will still get a very good piece.
-Higher chance to land a great prospect next year that will address our needs more.
-Makes it easier to sign a max free agents because of the salary we freed up.
-New threads in addition to the 2018 Brooklyn Nets watch, now called 2018 Los Angeles Lakers watch. It means if the Celtics lose, we now have 2 other things to keep our sprits high.

CONS

-We could start what would be a Sixers dynasty, and we have 4 games every year where we are reminded of that
-Its even more painful whenever the Lakers win a game.
-We could end up getting a late 1st rounder in 2019, which to me is not worth giving up the no.1 pick for.

Re: The Pros and Cons of the proposed trade
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 01:48:32 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I trust Danny Ainge, have defended him before because sometimes even if the moves fail, you can understand the logic behind it. This time, I do understand the logic, but I have a very bad feeling about this. I feel like listing the Pros and Cons OBJECTIVELY will help us get warmer to the idea. We can take turns adding up to the list.

PROS

-If there is really not much separation between the number 1 pick and number 3, we will still get a very good piece.
-Higher chance to land a great prospect next year that will address our needs more.
-New threads in addition to the 2018 Brooklyn Nets watch, now called 2018 Los Angeles Lakers watch. It means if the Celtics lose, we now have 2 other things to keep our sprits high.

CONS

-We could start what would be a Sixers dynasty, and we have 4 games every year where we are reminded of that
-We could end up getting a late 1st rounder in 2019, which to me is not worth giving up the no.1 pick for.

Pros

It's always smart betting against The Kings!

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 02:24:48 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

PROS

CONS

Pros

It's always smart betting against The Kings!

Touche. If we get no. 2 next year though I'll probably eat my crap and get a shrine for Danny.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 02:35:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
This trade is a huge risk for the Celtics, it's mainly contingent on 1. Magic doesn't pick Ball and we get him to counter Philly getting Fultz 2. That Lakers pick becomes gold as well so we can fill our 4/5 spots along with the Brooklyn pick (hopefully it's Ayton and Porter, Bamba doesn't really fit anymore with us needing a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ton of offense without Fultz). There's also another possibility that we flip the 3rd pick with smaller assets for a guy like Porzingis and select Doncic (ik I sounded like I hated him but imo he's still a superstar prospect, just not GOAT lol) and Ayton with those two 18 picks. The possibility of these scenarios happening is extremely low and imo this would only get us on equal footing with what the 76ers are building (Ball/Smart/Brown/Porter/Ayton or Doncic/Smart/Brown/Zinger/Ayton vs Fultz/guy they draft or trade with their assets/Simmons/Saric/Embiid)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 02:36:50 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
there aren't any Pro's. no point in trusting DA anymore as well.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 07:13:55 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
there aren't any Pro's. no point in trusting DA anymore as well.

You know there are. And Im not going to let my judgement be clouded by my emotions. Its hard to say esp this early, but the point I listed are valid and not trash like you are insinuating. Of course everything could go wrong, which I feel might be the case this time, but to say there isn't a Pro or an upside to this is just plain hatred.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
CONS

I don't care about the Sixers. I can't take them seriously. Not when they are depending on Embiid to be healthy long term for them.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 08:15:11 AM »

Offline Joyride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Forget the fact that DA traded away Fultz.  I was hoping for a fleecing.  This isn't a fleecing like the Nets trade.  Colangelo looks like he won this trade.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 08:19:12 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
CONS

I don't care about the Sixers. I can't take them seriously. Not when they are depending on Embiid to be healthy long term for them.
Same goes for me.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 08:22:23 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
just posted this in another thread, here are my CONS...

1. I wanted Fultz

2. We helped Philly get him and speed up The Process for them.  They WILL be a problem for us and the league in 5 yrs.

3. After all the times Magic has terrorized us in the past, he has another chance to do it.
    a.  He can take who we are targeting (Jackson) - I actually hope he does
    b.  They screw us with their pick next year by winning
    c.  We trade a package for PG and he just walks after next year to LA

4.  Don't want Jackson - another high motor, defensive NON SHOOTER
     * can someone please tell me where our scoring will come from next year

5.  Making a deal for a player/players that will allow us to take Cleveland to 7 games or 6 against GSW

6.  The possibility of giving up Bklyn 18 and LA 18 for ANYONE not named AD or Giannis

PROS

The ONLY glimmer of hope for me in this deal is if we can get 2 top 4 picks next year

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

PROS

CONS

This might need to be pro #1.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Forget the fact that DA traded away Fultz.  I was hoping for a fleecing.  This isn't a fleecing like the Nets trade.  Colangelo looks like he won this trade.

+1
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 09:44:52 AM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
MORE PROS:

1) I'm amazed by people who are so quick to lose faith in Danny.  He's proven himself at nearly every step, even while many fans have second-guessed his moves or booed his draft picks.  Almost every time, he was right and those critics were wrong, so why is this time any different?

2) If someone told you that they'd give you their 40 Powerball tickets in exchange for your 30 Powerball tickets, you'd be crazy to say no.  The draft is definitely a gamble; no matter how many people talk about Fultz as a sure thing, history shows that they're wrong. Here's a 538 article that quantifies draft pick value using data since 1985: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-is-winning-the-nba-draft-lottery-really-worth/.  According to their data, we win this trade as long as we don't end up with a Kings pick that's #22 or lower. 

3) Let's say that Fultz has a 50% chance of being elite, and let's say that Jackson only has a 30% chance of being elite.  Let's also say that the Lakers/Kings pick has a 30% chance of being elite.  With just a little bit of simple math, you can show that this trade slightly increases the odds of getting at least one elite player.

4) The Cavs and Warriors superteams are tough to beat right now, so a more patient approach feels reasonable.  Fultz wasn't going to turn us into a real contender.  Even the combo of Fultz and Hayward wasn't likely to be enough.

MORE CONS:
1) If the goal is to trade assets for a proven star, this trade might be a step in the wrong direction.  Both fans and NBA GMs seem to unreasonably overvalue the #1 pick.  We may have just turned our biggest trade chip into less desirable trade chips that make it harder to land a guy like Davis.

2) If the next step is to trade for a guy like Butler or George, we might regret this trade badly.  Adding Butler or George probably isn't enough to get us past GSW, so we could be mortgaging the future for a chance to lose in the finals a couple of times.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
CONS

Same goes for me.

The thing is, whether you dont think it might be the case, it is a possibility. That is why I had it listed under CONS. I mean, right now you never know what will happen, but I just put it there for a reason.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 10:51:51 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
MORE PROS:

1) I'm amazed by people who are so quick to lose faith in Danny.  He's proven himself at nearly every step, even while many fans have second-guessed his moves or booed his draft picks.  Almost every time, he was right and those critics were wrong, so why is this time any different?

2) If someone told you that they'd give you their 40 Powerball tickets in exchange for your 30 Powerball tickets, you'd be crazy to say no.  The draft is definitely a gamble; no matter how many people talk about Fultz as a sure thing, history shows that they're wrong. Here's a 538 article that quantifies draft pick value using data since 1985: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-is-winning-the-nba-draft-lottery-really-worth/. According to their data, we win this trade as long as we don't end up with a Kings pick that's #22 or lower

3) Let's say that Fultz has a 50% chance of being elite, and let's say that Jackson only has a 30% chance of being elite.  Let's also say that the Lakers/Kings pick has a 30% chance of being elite.  With just a little bit of simple math, you can show that this trade slightly increases the odds of getting at least one elite player.

4) The Cavs and Warriors superteams are tough to beat right now, so a more patient approach feels reasonable.  Fultz wasn't going to turn us into a real contender.  Even the combo of Fultz and Hayward wasn't likely to be enough.

MORE CONS:
1) If the goal is to trade assets for a proven star, this trade might be a step in the wrong direction.  Both fans and NBA GMs seem to unreasonably overvalue the #1 pick.  We may have just turned our biggest trade chip into less desirable trade chips that make it harder to land a guy like Davis.

2) If the next step is to trade for a guy like Butler or George, we might regret this trade badly.  Adding Butler or George probably isn't enough to get us past GSW, so we could be mortgaging the future for a chance to lose in the finals a couple of times.

That is my biggest fear, if we end up with a non lottery pick, Id be very disappointed. I was sooo nervous watching pingpong balls this year, I cant imagine myself doubly worried about next year's.