Poll

What do you feel about the trade with the 76ers?

this is awful, pathetic, it makes Philly so much stronger, etc. .... lets fire gambling Danny pronto!!!
21 (15.9%)
I'm simply disappointed...was looking forward to watching Fultz play.
33 (25%)
I'm neutral....not sure yet.
46 (34.8%)
I'm kinda onboard....hope we get the LA pick. If not, I'll be happy with the Kings pick.
18 (13.6%)
I love this deal. Danny is a genius!!! Yahooooo!
14 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: June 25, 2017, 12:56:16 AM

Author Topic: Feelings about the trade  (Read 23867 times)

Re: Feelings about the trade
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2017, 09:04:49 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I voted neutral, though I'm leaning towards being on board.

I think if Boston wasn't 100% on Fultz at number one then this is a really smart move to trade back, take someone you do like more, save money (important in free agency), and pick up an extra asset.

I'm just surprised at reports that it is only two picks.  I feel like we could have received more, but we obviously don't know the details.

I guess we'll wait and see...

Remember, someone like Cousins was basically worth less than what we just got back. These high picks are really really valuable.

For example a lot of people were talking about BKN 18 as something that could be the centerpiece of a trade for someone like Butler or George. The pick we got back isn't much less valuable than that one.

So let me ask again: Why make this trade now, 5 days before the draft? Why not wait and see if Philly increases their offer? What's the rush?

We have no idea.  We will find out soon I bet.

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I honestly don't know why everybody assumes Josh Jackson can't shoot.
Because of his small sample size combined with his broken shot. He literally went on a 40 shot hot streak and that saved his 3PT%. He's right there with Stanly Johnson and Justice Winslow in terms
of shooting.

Umm, sure, if that's the argument you want to make, I won't deter you, but he is way more explosive, a better passer, a better ball-handler, and a better defender. Jackson has all the tools to become a superstar in this league. I am not saying it will happen, but he is not on the same plane as Johnson/Winslow.

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
If they keep the pick, I'd bet they take Tatum.

I saw a segment (I think it was on NBA TV) where Grant Hill was promoting an interview with Tatum. They stood right next to one another. Tatum was considerably bigger than Hill. He looked a couple of inches taller and he's a powerful looking kid. Looked like he could easily play the four spot. He's also a little over a year younger than Jackson.

« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
If they keep the pick, I'd bet they take Tatum.

I saw a segment (I think it was on NBA TV) where Grant Hill was promoting an interview with Tatum. They stood right next to one another. Tatum was considerably bigger than Hill. He looked a couple of inches taller and he's a powerful looking kid. Based on reports, he's significantly bigger than Jackson, too. Looked like he could easily play the four spot. He's also a little over a year younger than Jackson.

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2017, 09:18:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I honestly don't know why everybody assumes Josh Jackson can't shoot.
Because of his small sample size combined with his broken shot. He literally went on a 40 shot hot streak and that saved his 3PT%. He's right there with Stanly Johnson and Justice Winslow in terms
of shooting.

Umm, sure, if that's the argument you want to make, I won't deter you, but he is way more explosive, a better passer, a better ball-handler, and a better defender. Jackson has all the tools to become a superstar in this league. I am not saying it will happen, but he is not on the same plane as Johnson/Winslow.
I was talking purely in terms of jumpshot. In terms of overall production I believe he will for sure be better (barring any sudden development).

But shooting wise, those are two guys who lit it in college and can't shoot to save themselves in the pros, who were also defence first wings.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

I think if Boston wasn't 100% on Fultz at number one then this is a really smart move to trade back, take someone you do like more, save money (important in free agency), and pick up an extra asset.

I'm just surprised at reports that it is only two picks.  I feel like we could have received more, but we obviously don't know the details.

Remember, someone like Cousins was basically worth less than what we just got back. These high picks are really really valuable.

For example a lot of people were talking about BKN 18 as something that could be the centerpiece of a trade for someone like Butler or George. The pick we got back isn't much less valuable than that one.

So let me ask again: Why make this trade now, 5 days before the draft? Why not wait and see if Philly increases their offer? What's the rush?

We have no idea.  We will find out soon I bet.

Uh-huh. Sounds more like you're trying to squelch any potential criticism with non-arguments.

But fine, talk me off the ledge, then.

Show me a potential scenario which turns this move into a winner by thursday. Come on, be creative.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Tatum's a nice player. Problem is, there's nothing to suggest future star. He isn't a great athlete, isn't a great shooter, isn't great at anything. IMO, he's a solid contributor, but you don't look for that at the top of the draft, you're looking for superstar.....

At least he doesn't have T-Rex arms like Jackson.

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

So we can make another deal involving #3 for a star. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tatum's a nice player. Problem is, there's nothing to suggest future star. He isn't a great athlete, isn't a great shooter, isn't great at anything. IMO, he's a solid contributor, but you don't look for that at the top of the draft, you're looking for superstar.....

At least he doesn't have T-Rex arms like Jackson.
His scoring isn't at an elite level either, despite some people assuming it is. He's not the second coming of The Truth, which I think people are praying for.

If we do end up picking and keeping Tatum I'll be right there praying with them.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

So we can make another deal involving #3 for a star. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

There's also the possibility that the Celtics wanted people from Jackson's camp to know they are serious about him and to have time to schedule a workout (something he has previously refused to do)

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Guys, it's obvious. Ainge is going after Davis! We can give them anything they want and still have enough left. I'm sure it's all about AD.

brown, žižić and nets pick 2018 for a start of discussion? No prob.

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2017, 10:00:35 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I am ok if that's Danny and CBS's decision
We still have the possibility to get Fulz at #3

I sure hope so...

My dream scenario is that Philly freaky likes Jackson (which I've heard they do),  and Danny is putting it out there that he likes Jackson just to put pressure on Philly.

Then Philly trades with Boston,  takes Jackson.

Lakers take Ball, as expected.

Boston takes Fultz at #3.

But I doubt that happens. Even if only takes Jackson,  I don't see Fultz getting part LA, since their enthusiasm for Ball seems to be slipping.

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

I sure hope so...

My dream scenario is that Philly freaky likes Jackson (which I've heard they do),  and Danny is putting it out there that he likes Jackson just to put pressure on Philly.

But I doubt that happens. Even if only takes Jackson,  I don't see Fultz getting part LA, since their enthusiasm for Ball seems to be slipping.

This is best case scenario and one of the reasons I am not at Ainge's door step right now.

« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Bold bold move my Danny.  I'm in the neutral camp because we simply don't know what will follow.  Wish he could have gotten more but if Danny keeps the picks and thinks he can get good value at #3, I'm okay with it.  Bottom line is that I hope he's right. 

As for Fultz, mentioned earlier that I thought fans were overrating him.  Of course, that turns into a war of extreme sides.  I don't man that at all; just that Fultz is not s generational talent and just a little above average as far as #1 picks go.
I agree here.  Obviously the brain trust for the Celtics have seen something we have not with regards to Fultz.  If they have seen the other picks and feel good about picking someone else then I am good with that?  I feel like our guards are very good and we need better wings and bigs.  If we draft another guard it really isn't helping the team moving forward, unless Fultz is better than any guard we have right now.  I hope that is not the case.  This is all very exciting, I am sure DA has a plan. 

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

I sure hope so...

That is not happening. Sixers already clearly said they are taking Fultz.