Poll

What do you feel about the trade with the 76ers?

this is awful, pathetic, it makes Philly so much stronger, etc. .... lets fire gambling Danny pronto!!!
21 (15.9%)
I'm simply disappointed...was looking forward to watching Fultz play.
33 (25%)
I'm neutral....not sure yet.
46 (34.8%)
I'm kinda onboard....hope we get the LA pick. If not, I'll be happy with the Kings pick.
18 (13.6%)
I love this deal. Danny is a genius!!! Yahooooo!
14 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: June 25, 2017, 12:56:16 AM

Author Topic: Feelings about the trade  (Read 23745 times)

Re: Feelings about the trade
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2017, 08:30:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jackson is a tenacious rebounder?  Give me a break. 

He averaged 8 rebounds a game as a PF against undersized college competition. 

Isn't he a tad undersized too.  He also covered perimeter offensive players which meant he zipped to the ball.  How is that Sullinger who averaged 9.7 RPG per game in college is considered a top rebounder but a guy averaging  almost 8 who not around the rim as much is trash.   There is not much difference between the stat lines in rebounds.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jared-sullinger-1.html

With his 6'8" frame with T-rex arms and skinny build he's going to get bullied to the point of embarrassment by NBA bigs on both ends of the court.   

Being skinny always hurts Durant and Reggie Miller, we all know they are failures.  JK

He's an overrated offensive player who will not be able to score effectively against NBA defence,  won't be able to rebound against NBA bigs,  and will struggle to defend all but a handful of nba players.

I think most people know his troubles will be on the offensive end.   It is clear that you do not read scouting reports because most scouts acknowledge this to be fact.    Maybe someone on this board is over rating him.   Most of them also think.

“I like him a lot,” one executive said. “I don’t know if he has elite offensive skill. I know people compare him to Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. That’s not a bad comparison. I think (Jackson is) a little more advanced offensively. But I don’t know if he has the same defensive ability. But he’ll be good because he can defend and he’s athletic. I think he’s close to being bust-proof on the defensive end. Everybody can be a bust. It can happen. But he can pass and his motor and his toughness and he’s a leader. He shows leadership. I like the way he plays. But he’s got a ways to go offensively.”

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/03/16/kansas-jayhawks-josh-jackson-makes-case-be-drafts-top-pick

Jackson has the defensive versatility that’s become a prerequisite in today’s game
It isn’t enough to be a one-position defender anymore. The ideal defensive player for the modern game needs to be able to check traditional point guards through oversized wings. Jackson is uniquely equipped to handle the job. 

First and foremost, Jackson is a great athlete. That manifests on offense with highlight reel dunks, but it’s just as functional defensively. He has excellent lateral quickness that lets him slide his feet with a wide range of offensive players. Watch him stay in front of Kansas State’s Wesley Iwundu (an intriguing draft sleeper) and force an ugly shot:

It’s evident that Jackson takes pride in his defense. He plays with a rare competitive fire and doesn’t take possessions off. Even if his wingspan is a little shorter than you’d like (a shade under 6’10, per DraftExpress), he’ll make up for it by getting a loose ball, taking a charge, or intercepting a pass to quickly turn defense into offense.

Ultimately, Jackson’s best attribute as a defender is his versatility. He should be able to switch screens and guard up to four positions. You can make an argument that Jonathan Isaac has the highest defensive upside of any player in this draft, but Jackson is the safest bet to thrive on that end from the moment he enters the league.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/6/15740310/josh-jackson-nba-draft-2017-lakers-76ers-defense-passing-finals

Hmm, believe the consensus of NBA scout or Crimson Stallion?   That is a no brainer folks. 

I think with the trade getting this early, there may be another deal in place.   I heard that the Lakers love him that he might not even make it into a green uniform.  So relax, these posts here are no going to sway Ainge.  He does not come here.

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2017, 08:33:09 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The trade was a win if:

1. There is actual general consensus among the top drafting GMs that there is little separation among the top 4 talents and that the ceilings of these players are comparable.  In this case, Philly paid a possible future top 5 for the opportunity to draft a player who is more in a position of need. And, DA and CBS just pulled in a very nice asset if they believe Jackson/Tatum have as much star potential as Fultz.

Note: Had the Lakers just traded the #2 for the #3 and Sac '19 top 3 protected (let's take the Laker pick out as this would put the Lakers in position to tank for it),  I think many here would be thinking the Lakers got something for nothing and would be praising the pick from the Lakers perspective.

2. Making this trade preserves Brooklyn '18 in an upcoming trade for George or Butler. IF the expected price was #1 plus Nets 18 (plus Crowder or Bradley), and they believe they can get the trade done using the Philly return plus a player, they have essentially kept Nets '18 by making the Philly trade. 

3. They can trade for George or Butler without using both assets attained in the Philly trade.  IF Danny can pull off a trade with Indy or Chicago using only the #3 plus other assets (not Brown or Nets 18) OR only the LAL/Sac pick plus other assets (not Brown or Nets 18), then I think the trade is a win.

4. The obvious: Even if you believe it's a bad trade on its surface, if the C's end up with the #2 pick in '18 (maybe along with another top 5), it's a huge win.  The 'win' in this case doesn't sit so well with me as it's a roll of the dice (I'd rather have the sure thing if Fultz is indeed the real deal), but the protection on the Lakers pick actually makes it a surer bet to be a top pick than if totally unprotected (if you believe that Sac is destined to be Nets-like in 2019).

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Feelings about the trade?

It sucks!!!

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2017, 08:40:50 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I honestly don't know why everybody assumes Josh Jackson can't shoot. He was 51.3% from the field and 37.8% from 3. Meanwhile, Fultz was 47.6% from the field and 41.3% from 3.

They both sucked at free throw shooting with Jackson at 56.6% and Fultz at 64.9%. I get that Jackson was worse in this area, but he was essentially a swing at Kansas while Fultz was a guard. Guards shoot well and, in Fultz's case, that is by far his best attribute.

I can understand not being totally satisfied with the return, but if Danny was going to take Jackson first, but instead parlayed that into another [very likely] top 5 pick next year or in 2019, then that is pretty decent. Also, if Danny took Jackson first, it would have opened up the door for Magic to take Fultz at 2; I would much rather he go to Philly than the Lakers.

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2017, 08:41:17 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
What are feelings?

Anthony Davis or a very cheap Butler or we keep the pick and the player turns out to be better than Fultz or this trade is a bust

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2017, 08:41:58 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I voted neutral, though I'm leaning towards being on board.

I think if Boston wasn't 100% on Fultz at number one then this is a really smart move to trade back, take someone you do like more, save money (important in free agency), and pick up an extra asset.

I'm just surprised at reports that it is only two picks.  I feel like we could have received more, but we obviously don't know the details.

I guess we'll wait and see...

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
At the moment I'm at option 1. That could change over the course of the week.

I feel Danny made a huge mistake in trading Fultz to Philly and taking too much of a gamble that the pick will turn out in his favor.

After watching the Warriors play, it's obvious you need shooters to win an NBA Championship. Fultz seemed to have all the tools. 

Sure hope I'm wrong.....

The right feeling is neutral.  We won't know how to feel about this trade until at least the end of next year.

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I honestly don't know why everybody assumes Josh Jackson can't shoot.
Because of his small sample size combined with his broken shot. He literally went on a 40 shot hot streak and that saved his 3PT%. He's right there with Stanly Johnson and Justice Winslow in terms
of shooting.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

I feel Danny made a huge mistake in trading Fultz to Philly and taking too much of a gamble that the pick will turn out in his favor.

After watching the Warriors play, it's obvious you need shooters to win an NBA Championship. Fultz seemed to have all the tools. 

Sure hope I'm wrong.....

The right feeling is neutral.  We won't know how to feel about this trade until at least the end of next year.

Nonsense. We can tell right now that this is a ridiculously bad return. We might get lucky (again), and the pick turns out great, but that doesn't change the value involved, right now.

Getting lucky doesn't turn a bad move into a good one.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I think if Boston wasn't 100% on Fultz at number one then this is a really smart move to trade back, take someone you do like more, save money (important in free agency), and pick up an extra asset.

I'm just surprised at reports that it is only two picks.  I feel like we could have received more, but we obviously don't know the details.

Remember, someone like Cousins was basically worth less than what we just got back. These high picks are really really valuable.

For example a lot of people were talking about BKN 18 as something that could be the centerpiece of a trade for someone like Butler or George. The pick we got back isn't much less valuable than that one.

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2017, 08:57:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Sure hope I'm wrong.....

Nonsense. We can tell right now that this is a ridiculously bad return. We might get lucky (again), and the pick turns out great, but that doesn't change the value involved, right now.

Yes it does, happens all the time.  Not saying it's right but it happens.  The 'nonsense' is thinking you can judge this deal as bad right now.  If you don't want to wait until the end of next year, please at least wait until Thursday night.

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen

Remember, someone like Cousins was basically worth less than what we just got back. These high picks are really really valuable.

For example a lot of people were talking about BKN 18 as something that could be the centerpiece of a trade for someone like Butler or George. The pick we got back isn't much less valuable than that one.

So let me ask again: Why make this trade now, 5 days before the draft? Why not wait and see if Philly increases their offer? What's the rush?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2017, 09:00:51 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Sure hope I'm wrong.....

How can you tell right now that this is a "ridiculously bad return?"  That is actual nonsense. 

They either get a 2-5 pick next year or an unprotected 2019 pick from a perennial doormat.  There isn't any luck to monitor here.

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2017, 09:02:14 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Fultz is the only player available that would have been bold enough to take the ball away from IT as a lead scorer. Now we get to see another year of IT playing hero ball and not getting our wings involved. Waiting for this next shoe to shop will be painful. I pray that itll be worth it.

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen

Yes it does, happens all the time.  Not saying it's right but it happens.  The 'nonsense' is thinking you can judge this deal as bad right now.  If you don't want to wait until the end of next year, please at least wait until Thursday night.

How can you tell right now that this is a "ridiculously bad return?"  That is actual nonsense. 

They either get a 2-5 pick next year or an unprotected 2019 pick from a perennial doormat.  There isn't any luck to monitor here.

So let me ask again: Why make this trade now, 5 days before the draft? Why not wait and see if Philly increases their offer? What's the rush?

3 down, 7 to go.