Poll

What do you feel about the trade with the 76ers?

this is awful, pathetic, it makes Philly so much stronger, etc. .... lets fire gambling Danny pronto!!!
21 (15.9%)
I'm simply disappointed...was looking forward to watching Fultz play.
33 (25%)
I'm neutral....not sure yet.
46 (34.8%)
I'm kinda onboard....hope we get the LA pick. If not, I'll be happy with the Kings pick.
18 (13.6%)
I love this deal. Danny is a genius!!! Yahooooo!
14 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: June 25, 2017, 12:56:16 AM

Author Topic: Feelings about the trade  (Read 23836 times)

Re: Feelings about the trade
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2017, 04:56:42 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I haven't felt this bad about a DA move since Perk's trade and even then I could understand the rationale.

I can also understand not being as high on Fultz as the other teams (although I'm wondering why everyone would be so high but us) but trading the number 1 pick we had finally acquired after years of missing, to get a lower pick this year and next year with no guarantee that it will be in the top 3, and with the risk that it could backfire with the Sixers dominating the East in a few years thanks to their core ? What's the upside ?

Sure, the trade will be judged on whatever next moves Danny makes but even if he gets Paul George and Hayward it probably won't be enough to win considering how great the Warriors. Maybe we would get past Cleveland but that's probably the ceiling.

So yeah, unless Danny gets Anthony Davis in return (not happening), I hate this trade.

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2017, 04:58:02 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
If this is done to trade for a proven star then great.

If this is done because Ainge wants Jackson ....I am concerned. Jackson to me is the biggest risk and highest bust chance in the draft. He does nothing well.

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2017, 05:26:05 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
In all my years I have always been a believe in Danny guy, especially in trades I thought the perk trade we won on talent even when it backfired on us, I thought the PP KG trade was fantastic getting three unprotected firsts for older players.

I believe Danny might have gotten into his own head with this one, he has such a good track record with trades that he thinks he can't lose but I believe this trade is a huge loser, this isn't football you don't trade top talent for two good talents. You are better off with Lebron than you are with like a Wade and Melo in my opinion (not saying fultz is Lebron).

Where I am unsure of this trade is if Danny wasn't gonna take fultz anyway and he will still get the guy you want at three but even then you have the top pick just take your guy, I would be disappointed to take Jackson first but at least we are for sure getting the guy we want at this point we might end up with the guy third on our board after winning the lottery that's disgusting.

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2017, 06:27:14 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I’ll go with neutral. I wasn’t sold on Fultz being a future super star like many here are. But I wasn’t sold on any of the current NBA stars he could possibly trade for being enough to get us over the top too. I’m going to just sit back and see what happens without going nuts.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2017, 06:41:16 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

If this is done because Ainge wants Jackson ....I am concerned. Jackson to me is the biggest risk and highest bust chance in the draft. He does nothing well.

Wow- pretty uninformed take here.

JJ's strengths:

-quick first step
-competitive attitude
-lateral movement
-tenacious rebounder
-good finisher

Effectively, JJ's a very young athletic and fierce competitor. If people around here had not become so emotionally attached to Fultz, they might be able to see that JJ was actually the higher ranked player one year ago. His team had more talent, and were trying to win a championship, so his offensive game wasn't featured as much as Fultz. One could make the argument that Fultz wouldn't have scored 23 ppg on Kansas.

I'm sure there are many fan bases that would love to have Jackson- a guy that was much more highly thought of than both Kawhi and Jimmy Butler one year out of high school.

*Also, there's no guarantee they take him jackson. This reminds me of people freaking out over trading #5 (Jeff Green) for Ray Allen before KG came on.

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2017, 06:56:15 AM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Voted neutral, Maybe because I don't know that much on these guys. My opinion is Tier 1 fultz and ball, is not far from tier 2 Jackson,tatum, close enough to justify to get another asset and try to get an establish star (PG 13 my choice).

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2017, 07:03:47 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
gross.  i can't believe he only got one extra pick and it's protected??

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2017, 07:19:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Voted neutral, Maybe because I don't know that much on these guys. My opinion is Tier 1 fultz and ball, is not far from tier 2 Jackson,tatum, close enough to justify to get another asset and try to get an establish star (PG 13 my choice).
We all have a right to our own feelings, but I didn't see any other reasonable choice in the poll other than Neutral.  Let's see what the other shoe drop looks like on Thursday night.

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2017, 07:22:19 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I am ok if that's Danny and CBS's decision
We still have the possibility to get Fulz at #3

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2017, 07:22:50 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Danny just made a fool of Boston. The only way out of this is to get Anthony Davis. Im not sure how a protected pick will get that. Fultz is going to school our guards for the next 10 years.

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2017, 07:39:02 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

JJ's strengths:

-quick first step
-competitive attitude
-lateral movement
-tenacious rebounder
-good finisher

Effectively, JJ's a very young athletic and fierce competitor. If people around here had not become so emotionally attached to Fultz, they might be able to see that JJ was actually the higher ranked player one year ago. His team had more talent, and were trying to win a championship, so his offensive game wasn't featured as much as Fultz. One could make the argument that Fultz wouldn't have scored 23 ppg on Kansas.

I'm sure there are many fan bases that would love to have Jackson- a guy that was much more highly thought of than both Kawhi and Jimmy Butler one year out of high school.

*Also, there's no guarantee they take him jackson. This reminds me of people freaking out over trading #5 (Jeff Green) for Ray Allen before KG came on.

Jackson is a tenacious rebounder?  Give me a break. 

He averaged 8 rebounds a game as a PF against undersized college competition. 

With his 6'8" frame with T-rex arms and skinny build he's going to get bullied to the point of embarrassment by NBA bigs on both ends of the court.   

He's an overrated offensive player who will not be able to score effectively against NBA defence,  won't be able to rebound against NBA bigs,  and will struggle to defend all but a handful of nba players.

He's going to be a bust in a ive way, and unless this trade is the first part of a deal that leads to us being multiple All Stars...it'll go down in history as an utter embarrassment and one of the worst deals of all time.

Only way I'm feeling good about this deal is if Ainge uses this pick to draft Tatum, then packages the 2018 Brooklyn pick and Lakers pick and a player or two in a trade for Butler/George...and then uses their cap space to sign Griffin.  I could live with that.

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2017, 07:57:02 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72

JJ's strengths:

-quick first step
-competitive attitude
-lateral movement
-tenacious rebounder
-good finisher

With his 6'8" frame with T-rex arms and skinny build he's going to get bullied to the point of embarrassment by NBA bigs on both ends of the court.   

He's an overrated offensive player who will not be able to score effectively against NBA defence,  won't be able to rebound against NBA bigs,  and will struggle to defend all but a handful of nba players.

He's going to be a bust in a ive way, and unless this trade is the first part of a deal that leads to us being multiple All Stars...it'll go down in history as an utter embarrassment and one of the worst deals of all time.

Only way I'm feeling good about this deal is if Ainge uses this pick to draft Tatum, then packages the 2018 Brooklyn pick and Lakers pick and a player or two in a trade for Butler/George...and then uses their cap space to sign Griffin.  I could live with that.

I was with u until the PG/Butler deal.

As unhappy as I am about this trade (cuz I want Fultz), if Danny trades BOTH Bklyn 18 AND LA 18 for George or Butler, then this trade sucks even more!!!  They are not worth 2 potential lottery picks in next year's draft!

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

JJ's strengths:

-quick first step
-competitive attitude
-lateral movement
-tenacious rebounder
-good finisher

Don't make that sound like some minor detail, or consolation prize.  I know many of us have been highly focused on the draft class, but this "other shoe to drop" is huge.

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Reasons why I hate this trade...

1. I wanted Fultz

2. We helped Philly get him and speed up The Process for them.  They WILL be a problem for us and the league in 5 yrs.

3. After all the times Magic has terrorized us in the past, he has another chance to do it.
    a.  He can take who we are targeting (Jackson) - I actually hope he does
    b.  They screw us with their pick next year by winning
    c.  We trade a package for PG and he just walks after next year to LA

4.  Don't want Jackson - another high motor, defensive NON SHOOTER
     * can someone please tell me where our scoring will come from next year

5.  Making a deal for a player/players that will allow us to take Cleveland to 7 games or 6 against GSW

6.  The possibility of giving up Bklyn 18 and LA 18 for ANYONE not named AD or Giannis

The ONLY glimmer of hope for me in this deal is if we can get 2 top 4 picks next year

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I wanted Fultz too.

But Danny apparently has promised Horford, IT , CBS ,  maybe Butler and Hayward he is serious about winning rigth now .   

That has to be the answer .   

IT , Horford , and Butler probally don't want to wait till Fultz grows up ,  or Wiggins was for Cavs ,  Tatum can come in and play Kellys spot pretty soon or Zizic .

I don't know if this plan will work out without the help of the basketball gods LUCK somehow .

These are win now players ....like Hayward in their prime ....you only have a short window to keep them together at the hieghts of their careers. 

so .....I guess all we can do is go along .......Danny is in charge ........he obviously has made promises to players to win NOW ....Durrant or Lebron be [dang]ed