Poll

What do you feel about the trade with the 76ers?

this is awful, pathetic, it makes Philly so much stronger, etc. .... lets fire gambling Danny pronto!!!
21 (15.9%)
I'm simply disappointed...was looking forward to watching Fultz play.
33 (25%)
I'm neutral....not sure yet.
46 (34.8%)
I'm kinda onboard....hope we get the LA pick. If not, I'll be happy with the Kings pick.
18 (13.6%)
I love this deal. Danny is a genius!!! Yahooooo!
14 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: June 25, 2017, 12:56:16 AM

Author Topic: Feelings about the trade  (Read 23862 times)

Re: Feelings about the trade
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 01:57:59 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I wanted Fultz. If this deal happens, it means that Danny did not want Fultz. I trust Danny as a talent evaluator. Especially when it comes to Point Guards.

I look at it this way. Danny was gonna take his guy at 1. His guy was not widely considered the #1 pick. His guy was not widely considered the #2 pick. Danny found a way to get his guy + 2 shots at a high lottery pick. The protections on the LAL pick mean that, if it conveys, we get a top 5 pick next year for nothing. If it doesn't convey, we get a shot at a high lottery pick via the flaming garbage pile franchise of SAC the next year. I think the odds are decent that we walk away with an additional high first rounder for the trouble of drafting the guy Danny wanted all along. That's not bad at all.

I really wanted Fultz. If Fultz was what everyone said he was, Danny wouldn't have done this deal. Danny was right about Dunn--I hope he's right about Fultz.

Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.n I wanted Fultz to be who we all thought he was.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 02:00:29 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
The one thing I really, really don't get about this trade is why we had to agree to it 5 days before the draft.

Why not wait and see if Philly cracks? What's the rush?

Unreal.

what you mean if Philly cracks?

We have what Philly wants. We just traded something we apparently don't care much about. We have all the leverage.

There's no reason to do this deal now and not wait and see if Philly doesn't up their offer.

This could mean that there's another deal in the works, where the other team is pushing for a deal to be done now so they can start negotiating...

If that other shoe to drop is Jimmy Butler, this makes me even madder.

Jimmy Butler is no Anthony Davis level player.

Butler's not better than Kevin Durant, he's not better than Curry, he's not better than Klay. Heck, I'm not sure he's better than Draymond Green.

If we're rushing this trade to build a team whose best player is the 4th-5th best player in a series against the Warriors, we might as well blow it up, because we're not winning that series.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2017, 02:02:48 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
This is of course biased towards my beliefs, but I really believe Markelle Fultz will be a great player, and we just passed on him because Danny thinks either there's a couple other guys that are on his level, asset grabbing is better, or we trade him for a better player that I believe will be useless because we won't beat GSW anyway.

Very disappointed in the trade. We don't even have assurance that we can get the Lakers pick. If it goes #1, it don't materialize? Insane. We should be able to get that because WE are the ones who have the leverage, not Philly.

It also doesn't help that the Sixers are in the same division. I want to be wrong, but if I'm right, and Fultz turns into a James Harden clone, it's going to be painful to watch him dominate in the next few years.

Really disappointed. Only way I could get redeemed here is if we indeed land two top 5 players in 2018, win a ring with whoever we got for the #3 pick (trade or selection) or both.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2017, 02:03:28 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Not sure how I feel about this. I was really high on Fultz. I hope this 2018 draft is gold. We have the BKN and the LAL pick (as well as 2019 SAC pick). I guess Josh Jackson really is an "Ainge" guy.

- LilRip

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2017, 02:05:44 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
At the moment I'm at option 1. That could change over the course of the week.

I feel Danny made a huge mistake in trading Fultz to Philly and taking too much of a gamble that the pick will turn out in his favor.

After watching the Warriors play, it's obvious you need shooters to win an NBA Championship. Fultz seemed to have all the tools. 

Sure hope I'm wrong.....

Danny knows what he is doing...

Alot of people hated the Brown pick...look how that turned out

I'm not sure you're helping your case there.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2017, 02:06:10 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Not sure how I feel about this. I was really high on Fultz. I hope this 2018 draft is gold. We have the BKN and the LAL pick (as well as 2019 SAC pick). I guess Josh Jackson really is an "Ainge" guy.

We get one of the two. If the LAL pick lands at #1 or #6 or lower, we get the SacTo pick. We don't get both.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 02:37:09 AM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Feelings? This could backfire completely, and we'll be the laughingstock of the entire league if it does.

Ainge doesn't like Fultz? Well then he's pretty alone, maybe some of you guys have that much faith in his scouting abilities but I certainly don't. We had the guy everyone wanted within our grasp and we gave him away for another lottery ticket and a lesser prospect at #3.

Now we're stuck deciding whether we want to

A) Use the picks and build for the future. No one at #3 is even comparable to Fultz (IMO), and the '18 Lakers pick probably just turns into the '19 Kings pick which is too far off to even interest me at this point.

B) We go all-out and trade for a current second tier star like Jimmy Butler or PG13 while pursuing Hayward or Griffin. Even if healthy this team is unlikely to challenge the team that that took care of LeBron and Co. in 5 games. Griffin is a big injury risk. George may not commit to an extension, and Butler carries a bit of an injury history of his own, and will likely cost much more than George while being an arguably inferior player (playoffs). Hayward is a very good player but similar to George and Butler in that he doesn't push us into contention with GSW.

Finally, not taking Fultz seems to imply that we are committed to signing IT long term which I wouldn't agree with at all right now. He's coming off of a truly great season, but also a pretty significant injury and potential surgery which may impact him going forward. He'll be entering his 30s near the start of the deal and I'm highly skeptical he can play anywhere near this level when he begins to slow down. On top of that, he's a physical player who takes a beating night in and night out. With such a small frame I'd also have some concern with injuries.

Best case scenario at this point, we end up picking twice in the top 5 of next years draft, or picking early in the '19 draft which has some interesting talent as well. This could pay off if we manage to get an Anthony Davis or KAT caliber of big in next years stacked big man draft.

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 02:40:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Feelings? This could backfire completely, and we'll be the laughingstock of the entire league if it does.

Ainge doesn't like Fultz? Well then he's pretty alone, maybe some of you guys have that much faith in his scouting abilities but I certainly don't. We had the guy everyone wanted within our grasp and we gave him away for another lottery ticket and a lesser prospect at #3.

A) Use the picks and build for the future. No one at #3 is even comparable to Fultz (IMO), and the '18 Lakers pick probably just turns into the '19 Kings pick which is too far off to even interest me at this point.

B) We go all-out and trade for a current second tier star like Jimmy Butler or PG13 while pursuing Hayward or Griffin. Even if healthy this team is unlikely to challenge the team that that took care of LeBron and Co. in 5 games. Griffin is a big injury risk. George may not commit to an extension, and Butler carries a bit of an injury history of his own, and will likely cost much more than George while being an arguably inferior player (playoffs). Hayward is a very good player but similar to George and Butler in that he doesn't push us into contention with GSW.

Finally, not taking Fultz seems to imply that we are committed to signing IT long term which I wouldn't agree with at all right now. He's coming off of a truly great season, but also a pretty significant injury and potential surgery which may impact him going forward. He'll be entering his 30s near the start of the deal and I'm highly skeptical he can play anywhere near this level when he begins to slow down. On top of that, he's a physical player who takes a beating night in and night out. With such a small frame I'd also have some concern with injuries.

Best case scenario at this point, we end up picking twice in the top 5 of next years draft, or picking early in the '19 draft which has some interesting talent as well. This could pay off if we manage to get an Anthony Davis or KAT caliber of big in next years stacked big man draft.
We are already the laughingstock of the nba, here's hoping that the Lakers pick becomes gold and we either get Ball with the 3rd pick or swing it and lesser assets for Porzingis. Also we need to rely on the nets giving us another top 3 pick next year. Huge risk but the return is fine imo if we get lucky. Let's hope for the best now that the deal is practically done.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 02:51:37 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm dead inside, so...

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 02:58:22 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

We are already the laughingstock of the nba, here's hoping that the Lakers pick becomes gold and we either get Ball with the 3rd pick or swing it and lesser assets for Porzingis. Also we need to rely on the nets giving us another top 3 pick next year. Huge risk but the return is fine imo if we get lucky. Let's hope for the best now that the deal is practically done.

Laughingstock? Not quite.  And what exactly are we missing out on with Fultz?  He's a 6'4" TMac is the best description I've heard? Ok? So he's an undersized wing who can hit jumpers when he's open, and MAY be able to play defense, one day, possibly.  Huh?  That's a #1 pick?

Not to mention this idea that there's such a drop off in talent from #1 - #3 is completely overblown.  Whether it's Jackson or Tatum I'd argue there's far more potential for either guy than there is for Fultz.  I can name a few things that either wing is great at already.  All I see and read on Fultz is how he doesn't have a glaring flaw (except maybe defense) and he's good all around.  K... Shouldn't the #1 undisputed pick, especially one that everyone already has pencilled in as a multiple time all star, have at least something he's universally praised for being great at?  Idk. 

Danny clearly knows what he wants and is going to maximize value in getting it.  I don't see how that's a bad thing.  The protections on the LA pick is straight up genius. And really all we need to ensure ourselves of landing another top 5 pick is to hope that the Kings stay the Kings.  That's not an awful gamble. 

All in all I thought I'd hate this deal but I like it the more I think about it.  I wouldn't even be upset to see us trade down again w/ Sacto to get #5 and a pick swap from them next year.  I think it's entirely possible Danny sees the plethora of big men available in next year's class and sees one of them or Porter as having intangibles necessary for a franchise cornerstone that he just doesn't see in Fultz.  Is it smart to trade the #1 pick in exchange for better odds at possibly picking guys that are currently 17?  Who knows, time will tell.  But Philly just proved that the more top 5 picks you have, the better you make your core in the long run.  I think (hope) that's the case here.

Now if all of this is just to unload more assets to get Butler or George, THEN ignore everything I just said.  That would be the real travesty/mistake.

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 03:02:05 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
The one thing I really, really don't get about this trade is why we had to agree to it 5 days before the draft.

Unreal.

This is why I think another draft night trade is coming.
The timing means one of 2 things:

1. They want to make another deal
2. They arent set on Josh Jackson and the trade was more "we don't love Fultz" the it was "we love Jackson"

If we want Jackson so bad, why are we giving Magic the option to hold him Ransom?
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2017, 03:09:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Unreal.

2. They arent set on Josh Jackson and the trade was more "we don't love Fultz" the it was "we love Jackson"

If we want Jackson so bad, why are we giving Magic the option to hold him Ransom?
Because we would be picking the only other tier 1 prospect, Ball
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2017, 03:11:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I'm dead inside, so...
Well let's see if Ainge can squeeze an 18 philly pick swap as well, if that's ok it would at least be a good move
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2017, 03:58:10 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Ill wait for the other shoe to drop before i pass judgement.

DA isnt finish by a long shot and he is just starting.
The ownership surely has ok'd this deal because there are more things to come...this deal is a precursor to a Jimmy Butler/PG type deal which may happen on draft night...

They aren't sold on Fultz and believe trading down was their best option whilest saving money for Hayward/ Griffin.
Cant wait for draft night so we all can just move on.

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2017, 04:17:02 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Unreal.

Wonder how the suns feeling about Ball falling...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.