Poll

What do you feel about the trade with the 76ers?

this is awful, pathetic, it makes Philly so much stronger, etc. .... lets fire gambling Danny pronto!!!
21 (15.9%)
I'm simply disappointed...was looking forward to watching Fultz play.
33 (25%)
I'm neutral....not sure yet.
46 (34.8%)
I'm kinda onboard....hope we get the LA pick. If not, I'll be happy with the Kings pick.
18 (13.6%)
I love this deal. Danny is a genius!!! Yahooooo!
14 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: June 25, 2017, 12:56:16 AM

Author Topic: Feelings about the trade  (Read 23841 times)

Re: Feelings about the trade
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 01:30:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Liberty Ballers are rejoicing and saying that this was a "highway robbery" to strip us of our #1 pick and not giving the Celtics Jahlil Okafor

You see how foolish they are?  They are happy to keep stone foot Okafor

76ers won't surpass the Celtics anytime soon.... Simmons is another guy  that doesn't play D

they better pray Embiid stays healthy

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 01:30:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Extremely apprehensive.  Trying to give Ainge the benefit of the doubt.

Hoping they aren't thinking about going all-in on putting together a group of 27-29 year olds to try and win in the short term.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 01:31:16 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Neutral. I don't know what the end game is yet.

I'll say this: I admire Ainge's conviction. Truly does what he believes is best and doesn't care about fan reaction. This is a pretty big move. Takes cajones to make a decision like that, regardless if it works out or not.

I'm glad we have a GM with the stones to do something bold and controversial; there's a fine line between bold and stupid.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 01:32:07 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Liberty Ballers are rejoicing and saying that this was a "highway robbery" to strip us of our #1 pick and not giving the Celtics Jahlil Okafor

You see how foolish they are?  They are happy to keep stone foot Okafor

76ers won't surpass the Celtics anytime soon.... Simmons is another guy  that doesn't play D

they better pray Embiid stays healthy

They straight up detest Okafor.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 01:32:37 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Love it!  Even if Jackson goes second, I'll be happy with Tatum or Ball.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 01:33:44 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Philly should be a nice test case for the "winning culture" theory (which I don't ascribe to)

Neither Fultz nor Simmons gave to much of a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. about winning in college and Philly obviously sucks at the moment.

I'm of the belief that talent wins, not culture, but you can bet your ass I'm hoping the opposite now.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 01:35:09 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Really wanted Fultz as a Celtic.  And I feel we needed to get a LOT more in return to give up his draft rights.  This is a pretty terrible return UNLESS DA has a deal agreed upon for the #3 pick.  And I'm really not sure who we couldn't have gotten for the #1 overall that the #3 will get us.  It really doesn't make sense yet.

There must be a follow up trade or this move is a disaster.  Josh Jackson looks to be a more athletic Crowder.  In other words just an upgraded role player.

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 01:35:23 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

That is a big lol - there is no way Danny wanted Okafor. The dude has negative value right now, even though he is on a value rookie contract.

I am okay with the deal; would have liked another pick (like the 2021 pick that was originally reported). At the very least, it seems like Danny/Brad will get their top choice in this draft plus another top 5 pick.

If they are simply downgrading to save money to sign a max fa, then that sucks (not to get the max fa, but there were other ways to go about it), but the concerns about Fultz seem valid. I had gotten myself behind Fultz, but after watching lots of Jackson the last couple of days, I feel good about him, too. At least Stevens won't need to motivate him to play hard and he doesn't create the same logjam that Fultz would have (although you should always take bpa when drafting #1).

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
The one thing I really, really don't get about this trade is why we had to agree to it 5 days before the draft.

Why not wait and see if Philly cracks? What's the rush?

Unreal.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 01:38:12 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
The one thing I really, really don't get about this trade is why we had to agree to it 5 days before the draft.

Unreal.

This is why I think another draft night trade is coming.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 01:42:23 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Unreal.

This is why I think another draft night trade is coming.
The timing means one of 2 things:

1. They want to make another deal
2. They arent set on Josh Jackson and the trade was more "we don't love Fultz" the it was "we love Jackson"
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 01:42:30 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Unreal.

what you mean if Philly cracks?

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 01:45:26 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Unreal.

We have what Philly wants. We just traded something we apparently don't care much about. We have all the leverage.

There's no reason to do this deal now and not wait and see if Philly doesn't up their offer.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 01:49:28 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Unreal.

We have what Philly wants. We just traded something we apparently don't care much about. We have all the leverage.

There's no reason to do this deal now and not wait and see if Philly doesn't up their offer.

This could mean that there's another deal in the works, where the other team is pushing for a deal to be done now so they can start negotiating...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 01:51:10 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Only part I really don't like is that we have insisted this gets done early, which probably means trade coming. Understand the trade is a surpise, I won't ne happy.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.