Author Topic: Who will the Celtics draft with the top two picks in the 2018 draft?  (Read 17069 times)

Re: Who will the Celtics draft with the top two picks in the 2018 draft?
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2017, 11:49:32 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Just draft Marvin Bagley and wait a year :)

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I view it as 2 dice rolls for the top pick. I think Danny really likes porter jr, and is comfortable leaving with any of the top 4 elite prospects as concession prizes if it doesn't work out (ayton, doncic, bamba)

We've only got one dice roll for the #1 pick, via BRK.

The LAL / SAC pick doesn't convey to us if it's first overall.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It's funny how the draft next year or the year after is always so much stronger than this year's draft.

I came here to make the same comment lol

Next year's draft is always the best.
Not really true.

Each draft has its characteristics that get pushed hard from a year or so before.

2013(iirc) was never hyped.

2014 was supposed to be awesome with a lot of star potential guys and superstar prospects in Wiggins and Parker. A year before that draft people were getting really excited about Wiggins Parker Smart and Randle. That draft was still seen as an elite draft up through draft nigh.

2015 was supposed to be the big man draft. Okafor, towns and Turner. It remained the big man draft with 3 bigs going in the first 4 picks.

2016 was the Ben Simmons draft. He was the prize and he remained the prize.

2017 was supposed to be stacked and deep, with an unreal freshman class. This remained the take on the draft through today. Draft set record for freshman taken at the top and according to fords tiers it's the deepest draft at the top since they started tracking tiers.

Next year's draft had been seen as crazy top heavy. A five player draft. Let's see if it pans out that way.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 12:37:14 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
It's funny how the draft next year or the year after is always so much stronger than this year's draft.

The draft next year is significantly inferior to the draft this year. I'll say that right now. The likely #1 pick (Luka Doncic) might be the best prospect out of the two drafts, but we've done absolutely nothing to increase our chances of getting him.

The #1 pick right now is Michael Porter JR.

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2017, 12:51:30 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Trade Horford and #1 and #2 for Davis.

Davis
George
Tatum
Brown
IT

= Banner 18

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
As a notorious IT hater, I hope one of them is Luka Doncic, since he can play point and he's 6'7.  The other pick can be any one of Porter, Ayton, or Bamba.

How is Doncic going to handle/stay in front of Irving/Currys of the world??

Also from what i have seen of Doncic so far...he tends to be pass happy vs scoring some points/driving in finishing around the basket.  He can shoot and has a high iq.   Just haven't seen much killer instincts/alpha dog from him

This video shows him staying in front of Westbrook, so I think he'll do just fine against the Irving/Currys of the world.  Oh, and he is 17 in the video and a starter and a key player for Real Madrid's A team. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sPxV4YGNa0

Yeah he definitely didn't look out of place in this video. He was everywhere on offense, passing ability is elite already. Definitely didn't look "too slow." Even blocked Enes Kanter it looked like on one play lol.

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Doncic played in the toughest pro league other than NBA. Kids his age, no matter how talented, rarely get the minutes he did. He more than held his own. If he dominates this year and shows more athletic ability/explosiveness then he will challenge for the No.1 pick. I just think his lack of size is only thing keeping him from being consensus right now.If he was 6'9 or bigger then forget about it. Therefore, if the C's get lucky again, they'll trade down to 2 or 3 again (barring LAL pick falling in same range). I think it's going to be the 2019 pick we will need to keep an eye on as I don't see LAL being the bottom feeder they've lately, unless they get lucky for us in the lottery. Just too many teams blowing it up & turning to young players knowing they have no chance but to build through the draft for now. I can't wait for the initial FA/trade season to be over so I can make up a power rankings list to see exactly where we may stand as far as the LAL team is concerned. Not worried at all about Brooklyn improving this year so they'll again be a lock for a top 5 pick.

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Imagine the future trio of:

Michael Porter Jr.
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Imagine the future trio of:

Michael Porter Jr.
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown
You mean the Awesome Foursome of:

DeAndre Ayton
Michael Porter Jr.
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown

right?  ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Incredibly unlikely that we even get two top 5 picks, let alone the top 2. Knowing our luck, Brooklyn will end up with pick #5, and LAL will get #6 so instead we get Sacramento's pick next year. Which turns out to be #8
based upon the latest lottery, knowing our luck the celtics do get #1 and #2. you cant get any luckier than the celtics just did. so to somehow invoke bad luck as a historical constant makes no sense.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2017, 02:40:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If this draft remains the 4 player draft it's pegged to be (it won't) and we get 2 top 4 picks (we won't) then id like 1 perimeter guy and 1 big. Who it is, I don't much care.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Incredibly unlikely that we even get two top 5 picks, let alone the top 2. Knowing our luck, Brooklyn will end up with pick #5, and LAL will get #6 so instead we get Sacramento's pick next year. Which turns out to be #8
based upon the latest lottery, knowing our luck the celtics do get #1 and #2. you cant get any luckier than the celtics just did. so to somehow invoke bad luck as a historical constant makes no sense.
Let me reverse jinx in peace  ;D

I've talked about Celtic bad luck to friends prior to the last two drafts and we've done pretty darn well, so I'm (forgive me) Trusting the Process  ;)

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Doncic played in the toughest pro league other than NBA. Kids his age, no matter how talented, rarely get the minutes he did. He more than held his own. If he dominates this year and shows more athletic ability/explosiveness then he will challenge for the No.1 pick. I just think his lack of size is only thing keeping him from being consensus right now.If he was 6'9 or bigger then forget about it. Therefore, if the C's get lucky again, they'll trade down to 2 or 3 again (barring LAL pick falling in same range). I think it's going to be the 2019 pick we will need to keep an eye on as I don't see LAL being the bottom feeder they've lately, unless they get lucky for us in the lottery. Just too many teams blowing it up & turning to young players knowing they have no chance but to build through the draft for now. I can't wait for the initial FA/trade season to be over so I can make up a power rankings list to see exactly where we may stand as far as the LAL team is concerned. Not worried at all about Brooklyn improving this year so they'll again be a lock for a top 5 pick.

He's a 6'7 point guard, that's awesome hight. 

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Doncic and Porter are at the top of our unofficial draft board for 2018.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/06/boston_celtics_draft_2018_big.html

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2017, 04:27:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Doncic and Porter are at the top of our unofficial draft board for 2018.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/06/boston_celtics_draft_2018_big.html
I doubt DA could go past these big men prospects (or I hope he can't).