Author Topic: Seems fairly obvious what to do if you're Magic Johnson  (Read 1997 times)

Seems fairly obvious what to do if you're Magic Johnson
« on: June 17, 2017, 09:51:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
You trade down from 2 to 4 or 5 and maybe even again down to 7 and send a nice note to Ainge that says "Thanks for showing me how valuable the 2nd most wanted player in the draft was."

You take a decent chance on Ball slipping to 4 or 5. You end up taking either him or the guy that outplayed him (D Fox) or a Tatum, Dennis Smith, or J Isaac.

You block the Celtics from getting everything they wanted. You possibly block the Sixers from getting what they wanted.

Only down side is the Celts get stuck with Fultz but it looked like that from the get go.

Then you call up P George next year and say "Yeah. We got a good pg to pass to you and picked up extra picks. Why yes we do think Brandon Ingram can play some PF from time to time. Yeah, you, him, Nance, and Randle are a pretty good front court. Yeah Fox, Clarkson, and D Russ are a pretty good back court, but we aren't done adding talent."

Sorta makes too much sense for a young team with no picks next year.

Re: Seems fairly obvious what to do if you're Magic Johnson
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:53:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They're taking ball at 2.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:56:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
They can still get him at 4 or 5 in all likelihood. They have the right to the 2nd most wanted player. They should make teams pay for him.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:56:30 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
So the Lakers trade down just so the Ainge has to select the BPA at one?  It doesn't quite sound like the middle finger you are making it out to be.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 09:58:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Dare teams to take him. Dare other teams to take the guy who clearly doesn't want to play for them.  If they do you still get a great player and you have other stuff now too. And in a few years you quite possibly get him in free agency or trade for him cheap anyway.

It's not hard for the Lakers to get him picking after 2.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 09:59:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So the Lakers trade down just so the Ainge has to select the BPA at one?  It doesn't quite sound like the middle finger you are making it out to be.
Magic shouldn't convince himself that Ainge is the only guy in the universe that can trade down and still get what he really wants.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 10:04:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me.

Ball is very unlikely to get past the 6ers at 3.

Also your pitch to Paul George is honestly terrible.

We have a rookie a 21 year old and an anorexic 20 year old small forward who we'll be willing to play out of position at PF where he will be bullied... sign here!
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 10:14:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

We have a rookie a 21 year old and an anorexic 20 year old small forward who we'll be willing to play out of position at PF where he will be bullied... sign here!
What's your pitch to George? Well we have no draft picks coming. We have these young guys ....

I have a lot of doubts that the 76ers or Suns would pick Ball. If not pick the guy that beat the tar out of him head to head.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 10:23:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

What's your pitch to George? Well we have no draft picks coming. We have these young guys ....

I have a lot of doubts that the 76ers or Suns would pick Ball. If not pick the guy that beat the tar out of him head to head.
Why wouldn't Philly take Ball?

Why would Phoenix trade up to 2 if they aren't taking Ball?

Why would LA get good future value if they aren't giving up Ball? None of this makes sense.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 10:27:09 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
this thread is way over my head. ???