Author Topic: Biggest Gamble of Ainge's Career?  (Read 6359 times)

Re: Biggest Gamble of Ainge's Career?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Well, if we are doing comparisons...

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-jackson

http://hardwoodhoudini.com/2017/03/12/nba-comparison-josh-jackson/

http://www.isportsweb.com/2017/04/27/nba-draft-josh-jackson-assessment-player-comparison/

Say and believe what you will, josh Jackson is not chopped liver.  ;D

Part of what made Kawhi and Iggy as great defenders is their length.

Josh Jackson doesn't have the length.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 09:13:29 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
They're saying josh Jackson had a bad workout with Philly

Bad workout
Bad jumpshot
Bad character
Arrest record

But hey at least he can run

I went on a bunch of mock draft sites trying to read some positives on Jackson to try to sooth myself. It didn't work, nothing on any site got me excited. All I read is a longer, thinner Smart, They did say more athletic but with his build he better be! Reading a lot of profiles I have 4 guys ahead of him on wish list.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 05:49:15 PM »

Offline Bumb_Celtic

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Based on things coming out today this is already starting to look very meh. The chances of the Lakers getting PG13 has seemed to grow even more, the chances they might fall to the 6th or later pick is looking greater, the Pacers could trade for the 2nd pick and take whoever we wanted. This is already looking worse imo unless we trade it for a SUPERSTAR.

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 05:50:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What's with the username?  That was the best you could come up with?

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Based on things coming out today this is already starting to look very meh. The chances of the Lakers getting PG13 has seemed to grow even more, the chances they might fall to the 6th or later pick is looking greater, the Pacers could trade for the 2nd pick and take whoever we wanted. This is already looking worse imo unless we trade it for a SUPERSTAR.

They are not getting the 2nd pick for PG13 lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 07:13:47 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Lakers have dumped the Mozgov deal and created space moving forward.  They are now moving to the next phase.

Can the Lakers now land Paul George by offering Thursday's No. 27 and 28 picks and either Julius Randle or Jordan Clarkson? They're trying.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/877295819522621441

Add Ball, and that's a team trying to get things in place for LeBron.  How that impacts Ainge's move is for each person to decide, assuming it gets done.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 07:15:51 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Lakers have dumped the Mozgov deal and created space moving forward.  They are now moving to the next phase.

Can the Lakers now land Paul George by offering Thursday's No. 27 and 28 picks and either Julius Randle or Jordan Clarkson? They're trying.

Add Ball, and that's a team trying to get things in place for LeBron.  How that impacts Ainge's move is for each person to decide, assuming it gets done.

That team still isn't enough to beat Golden State, and Lonzo would have to take some HUGE steps early on for it to work. By the time he may hit his prime, Lebron may be too old (age 36+).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

That team still isn't enough to beat Golden State, and Lonzo would have to take some HUGE steps early on for it to work. By the time he may hit his prime, Lebron may be too old (age 36+).

I doubt they'd be done just with getting George and James.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 07:25:03 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
This stuff is why I don't like relying on the fortunes of others.  Lopez alone may be enough to bump the Lakers up out of the 2-5 range, and if they find a way to land George then we can kiss that pick goodbye. 

The '19 Kings pick is a total crapshoot.  It's an incompetent franchise, but a lot can change in two years even for Sactown.  And the Kings winning the lottery is likely our worst outcome - that probably gives us a pick in the ~20 range if Philly is good by then (and I think they will be unless these injuries bring down their frontcourt).  That's still a relatively small chance at this point, but it's real enough to worry me. 

Finger crossed that Indy tells LA to kick rocks and Brook Lopez only plays 25 games after stepping on a Lego. 

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
What's with the username?  That was the best you could come up with?

Yeah, really. Bumb, it's not too late to start over. Consider it! And this is coming from somebody with a totally generic name. If I didn't start in the 04-05 season, it would be something much cooler now.

As for Ainge's biggest gamble - I would say no way. The PP/KG deal was incredible and has already given us Jaylen (and Young  :( ) Even if none of the next three [high] lottery picks work out (extremely unlikely), he still got one solid potential star in the deal. I remember when many of us were upset that we didn't get Lopez for KG/PP - what a difference that would have made.

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »

Offline NorCalJack

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
This stuff is why I don't like relying on the fortunes of others.  Lopez alone may be enough to bump the Lakers up out of the 2-5 range, and if they find a way to land George then we can kiss that pick goodbye. 

The '19 Kings pick is a total crapshoot.  It's an incompetent franchise, but a lot can change in two years even for Sactown.  And the Kings winning the lottery is likely our worst outcome - that probably gives us a pick in the ~20 range if Philly is good by then (and I think they will be unless these injuries bring down their frontcourt).  That's still a relatively small chance at this point, but it's real enough to worry me. 

Finger crossed that Indy tells LA to kick rocks and Brook Lopez only plays 25 games after stepping on a Lego.

Well the pick we got for trading Fultz has 3 chances to get the 2nd or 3rd pick.  The odds of us landing a top 5 pick was enhanced by adding the Lakers protected pick 2-5, and pick swap with Philly.  So if the Lakers miss the playoffs next year (which is a strong possibility by playing in the West), we do get ping pong balls to land the 2nd or 3rd pick. 

Also I don't see Philly making the playoffs in 2019.  Embid is an injury risk as is Simmons.  Fultz will not lead the team to the playoffs either.  So again Philly will have ping pong balls to land a 2 or 3 pick, in which case we can swap out the Sac pick.  The Sac pick will also be a lottery pick and we may luck out and get a 2 or 3 pick.  So basically we have 3 chances in the next two years to land the 2nd or 3rd picks in the 18 or 19 draft.

I still feel that is a fleecing by Danny.

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 08:10:23 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Well the pick we got for trading Fultz has 3 chances to get the 2nd or 3rd pick.  The odds of us landing a top 5 pick was enhanced by adding the Lakers protected pick 2-5, and pick swap with Philly.  So if the Lakers miss the playoffs next year (which is a strong possibility by playing in the West), we do get ping pong balls to land the 2nd or 3rd pick. 

Also I don't see Philly making the playoffs in 2019.  Embid is an injury risk as is Simmons.  Fultz will not lead the team to the playoffs either.  So again Philly will have ping pong balls to land a 2 or 3 pick, in which case we can swap out the Sac pick.  The Sac pick will also be a lottery pick and we may luck out and get a 2 or 3 pick.  So basically we have 3 chances in the next two years to land the 2nd or 3rd picks in the 18 or 19 draft.

I still feel that is a fleecing by Danny.
Shots on goal...it's all about shots on goal...

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'm not gonna lie. I haven't read this whole post, but this is probably Danny's biggest risk, slightly outpacing the #5 for Ray Allen move.

This is the type of move that could feasibly launch Aing from having as much job security as any GM after Bob Myers to the hot seat if it blows up in his face.

Same.  Too long.

Yes it is his biggest gamble in the sense that he traded the #1 for a future pick that has a chance to be garbage.

I am not so sure Fultz will be much better than everyone else in this draft.

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 09:07:08 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
As the dust is settling, I think it is a risk to DA's reputation, but if he thinks the top 4 are a coin flip, then he made the smart deal.  Great chance the pick turns out to have value even if not a top 5.  I love the LAL protection -- gives us two legit shots at a great pick. 

One question I haven't seen answered (though I think I know the answer):  If the '18 pick does not convey due to it being #1 (as opposed to 6-30), does the protection on the 2019 pick get removed?  I think it should, but I am guessing it doesn't.  That should have been a stipulation -- that the Sixers would not be able to get two #1 picks. 

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
As far as the move and the reasons for it. I don't think Ainge saw it as a gamble, he wanted to pick a different guy. I suppose every draft pick is a gamble of a sort for every GM.

Ainge clearly, didn't care for Fultz. Trading out of the #1 did two things.

It got him another far off #1 pick that perhaps, he didn't have an immediate need for except to perhaps, trade it.

Maybe, Ainge thought the reduced the cap impact of the #3 or lower player picked this week was more important than getting another guard.

I don't think it will damage his legacy. His legacy is about winning another title and he has already proven, knows how.

If the endless string of "OMG the Lakers are good!" and "OMG the Lakers are bad!" threads are the price we have to pay for this move by Ainge? I'll take it.