Author Topic: Biggest Gamble of Ainge's Career?  (Read 6362 times)

Biggest Gamble of Ainge's Career?
« on: June 17, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »

Offline Bumb_Celtic

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
Okay lets think about this for a moment here... Here are some of the comparisons Markelle Fultz has gotten:

Dwyane Wade
James Harden
Kyrie Irving
Russell Westbrook
Brandon Roy

No matter who you want to compare him to chances are that most of us here agree that this kid has a GREAT shot at being a Superstar. He might be the best PG prospect since Kyrie.

Now we've all seen the reports of the deal Danny Ainge is working on with Philly. The Celtics #1 overall pick in return for Phillys #3, the Lakers 2018 1st round pick, and either Sacrementos 2019 1st round pick or a 2021 Philly 1st round pick.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that the 76ers haven't even seen this kid work out yet (he's working out for them as I write this) and they're willing to give up all this for him? The Lakers and Magic Johnson are supposedly "in love" with him after he supposedly "murdered" his work out with them and it was the best work out they've seen.

Speaking of work outs has anyone mentioned the fact that the Celtics haven't even had Josh Jackson in for a work out yet? Now I know that workouts aren't the be all end all that there is only so much a player can show you in a individual workout, but what if this kid has the worst workout out of anyone they've brought in so far? Not to mention the fact that this kids shooting ability is suspect at best.

Obviously none of us know what Danny is thinking, obviously he must have other idea's in mind, maybe it's to trade the 3rd pick for Jimmy Butler or Paul George. Maybe it's to sign Gordon Hayward or Blake Griffin. But here is my thought: What if none of the above happens? What if Gordon Haywards stays loyal to Utah, Blake Griffin is too enticed by money and the LA lifestyle and returns to LA. What if the Bulls once again decide against trading Jimmy Butler, and Paul George is pegged for the Lakers. Which by the way is probably far more of a likely scenario than the Celtics getting any of them. You now have lost out on a Superstar level prospect that could take over Isaiah Thomas's role should he leave in Free Agency next summer, or he could play along side him for years to come in the 2 Guard spot. But instead you now have Josh Jackson who isn't a good shooter that is going to sit on the bench behind Crowder, Brown, and Bradley. He doesn't help you with your scoring or rebounding problem. So basically you are looking at this current Celtics squad with maybe a few bench upgrades, Jackson, and Zizic. When at least at the minimum you could have had Fultz who could of immediately been a lethal scoring weapon off the bench for you, with enormous potential.

Now I know what some of you are thinking, yeah but now next year we could have 2 top 5 picks in the draft. But wait hold your horses. Latest reports from Woj earlier were that the 76ers and Celtics were going over protections for the pick. So if the 76ers protect the pick well it's most likely top 3, 5, or 10 protected. And honestly what's a 10th pick in the NBA get you? A nice bench player maybe? Possibly a 6th man or average starter. So basically you've traded a potential SUPERSTAR for a potential STAR (big difference between a Superstar and Star imo.), a potential 6th man, and a potential bench piece (assuming the 76ers pick ends up either late lottery or early 20's.) That's also assuming that the Lakers even get you a top 10 pick. I think Russell, Ingram, and Randall could all take steps forward in their production to help make the Lakers a late lottery team. That also doesn't take into account whoever they Draft at 2 whether it's Ball, Jackson, Fox, or someone else. And that also doesn't account for the fact that they could just trade For Paul George themselves and that would probably vault them into the late lottery or even like an 8th seed in the playoffs (depending on what else they did.)

I mean think about it all it would take is the Lakers winning say 10 more games and they go from 2nd pick this year to approximately the 11th pick in the draft. With the addition of say Lonzo, and improvement from their key players I could see it happening.

I think the talent drop off from pick 1 - 3 this year (a likely Star player with a ceiling of a Superstar, for a guy with a floor of a bench player to a ceiling of a Star), to only gain possibly a bench player next year and most likely a bench player in 2021 from the Phillys draft is way too big of a risk to take. If the Celtics draft Fultz and miss out on Hayward, Griffin, and Whoever else I'm not that mad, if they don't take Fultz and wind up with no one I'm fuming. Too big of a risk to take in my honest opinion, what is yours?

Re: Biggest Gamble of Ainge's Career?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 07:45:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'm not gonna lie. I haven't read this whole post, but this is probably Danny's biggest risk, slightly outpacing the #5 for Ray Allen move.

This is the type of move that could feasibly launch Aing from having as much job security as any GM after Bob Myers to the hot seat if it blows up in his face.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:57:16 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I'm not gonna lie. I haven't read this whole post, but this is probably Danny's biggest risk, slightly outpacing the #5 for Ray Allen move.

This is the type of move that could feasibly launch Aing from having as much job security as any GM after Bob Myers to the hot seat if it blows up in his face.
Jackson some say could be the best player in the draft Fultz right now is. If we get the Lakers Pick for the next draft we can draft 2 bigs and we will be set. DA's Job is secure Jackson will be a good enough player to justify the move.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 07:59:11 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Jackson some say could be the best player in the draft Fultz right now is. If we get the Lakers Pick for the next draft we can draft 2 bigs and we will be set. DA's Job is secure Jackson will be a good enough player to justify the move.

Jackson has flat out struggled in his workouts. There is nothing in his past nor workouts that say he is going to be good.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:02:33 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
However it plays out, I love Danny's agressiveness. Working hard even though most GMs would just sit back. Respect.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:05:16 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Strong username to thread ratio, lol ;D.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They're saying josh Jackson had a bad workout with Philly

Bad workout
Bad jumpshot
Bad character
Arrest record

But hey at least he can run

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

Bad workout
Bad jumpshot
Bad character
Arrest record

Where did you see this at? I saw the bad workout reports from LA, but not Philly.

I mean, that would just be hysterical. Jackson has bad workouts for both LA and Philly, cancels his workout for Boston, yet Danny still has him pegged as his guy!  ::)

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I think it would be a huge gamble to trade #1 for the package we are hearing.   Even with a follow-up that gets Butler, the move has the potential to be a "look who Ainge trading Fultz for" embarrassment. 

My hope is they keep the pick and get Fultz.  If trade for #3 and LAL '18, I hope they select with the 3rd (Jackson or Tatum) and hope they keep the Laker pick and get a miracle in next year's draft. Patience is the best gamble IMO.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 08:26:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Yes, that would be funny. If after all our arguing and debating, ainge trades out to number three spot and then drafts Tatum.

HA HA HA HA.... ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 08:29:41 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We have to admit we are very spoiled as Celtic fans. As we #1 seed ECF Finalists debate which top 3 prospect we can get, bottom dwelling teams are hoping garbage like Collins and Kenard falls to them lol

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 08:33:58 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Maybe Danny is colecting picks to pry AD from NO 😂👌

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Bad workout
Bad jumpshot
Bad character
Arrest record

Where did you see this at? I saw the bad workout reports from LA, but not Philly.

I mean, that would just be hysterical. Jackson has bad workouts for both LA and Philly, cancels his workout for Boston, yet Danny still has him pegged as his guy!  ::)

Hey don't forget, Ainge says that he doesn't put a lot of stock into workouts (and neither do I), but drafted the guy who came in for the most of them in Brown, lol ::).

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 09:07:32 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Ainge should be fired for even considering this.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?