Author Topic: The reason Ainge may want to trade down....our window of improvement is closing  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If the theory is we add Hayward, Fultz, a top 5 pick next year and that's the whole plan for improvement.....I don't think that is even remotely close to enough to compete with the Cavs and Warriors in the next 3 years. Not by a long shot.

Hayward is nowhere near as good as Durant
IT is nowhere near as good as Steph
Fultz has a ways to go to be as good as Klay
Horford is nowhere near as good as Draymond

So now you're hoping for Jaylen and Smart and a top 5 pick next year to make a huge difference and to be able to keep this team together and for IT and Horford to maintain their level of play.

I don't see it

That's why I think Ainge is looking into the Penny Hardaway thing and this time you won't see Ainge using one of those picks on Todd Fuller.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I do, and would actually rate this as the most likely scenario. Don't forget the benefit of this approach: You get to keep all your important assets and maintain flexibility for a big move either at the deadline or summer 2018 when a great FA crop will be available.

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Philly will rule the East 3 yrs from now if this trade goes down.

Cs will compete but pts will be hard to come by in playoffs.   

I would take a great scorer over a great defender any day.

I think that taking Fultz is a now-brainer and Danny is overthinking this.....

Finally get a no. 1 - and a good one!  And we are thinking of trading down.  Enough said  :-X

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Finally get a no. 1 - and a good one!  And we are thinking of trading down.  Enough said  :-X

It's kinda hard to say they will rule the East in three years. Two of their picks have either barley seen the floor, or haven't at all, and thats not including Fultz, no guaranty he's the real deal.

What about if this deal is to make a move for AD? It's possible NO see's no way of building around him with picks or bring in FA's and they have no more chips to trade in. And even if It is done in 3 years you still could have....

Smith Jr
Brown
Hayward
2018 nets
AD

Thats a pretty good starting line up. 

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

It's kinda hard to say they will rule the East in three years. Two of their picks have either barley seen the floor, or haven't at all, and thats not including Fultz, no guaranty he's the real deal.

What about if this deal is to make a move for AD? It's possible NO see's no way of building around him with picks or bring in FA's and they have no more chips to trade in. And even if It is done in 3 years you still could have....

Smith Jr
Brown
Hayward
2018 nets
AD

It's just that I have not seen anyone coming out of college more polished offensively than Faultz in a long time.  I think the last time I watched a player this talented offensively coming out of college was Stephen Curry......and we know how that turned out.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Smith Jr
Brown
Hayward
2018 nets
AD

I'd be surprised if NO would make the rumored deal of 3 of the 4 prime picks (Nets, Lakers, Philly, Sac) with matching salary after C's make the rumored deal with Philly and I could only see Danny making that move with Philly IF he's got that deal lined up with NO.  That, and a really good feel for signing Hayward as a free agent. 

the real doubt comes from thinking NO moves on from Davis with Cousins and a lot of incoming lottery picks.