Author Topic: Dream scenario...trade down multiple times. Get great player and ton of picks.  (Read 2859 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My dream is still Anthony Davis.  If it's possible to get enough future picks, one by one through this draft, that you can get Anthony Davis by combining them with some of our other picks, I would consider that the best possible outcome.  I don't think it's possible, because you would have to have multiple blowout deal, but if that were the ultimate outcome, no one should be upset.

But it'd require the total Godfather offer from Philly, beyond what most anyone has rationally suggested, and about 3 other teams trading down giving us great picks, for that to occur.

But let's look at the dream scenario:

Philly gives us #3, best of 2018 Philly or Lakers, best of 2019 Philly or SAC, 2023 Philly.

The Lakers pick Jackson at #2.  Ball is at the top of Phoenix's board, so to get the player they view as the best in the draft, they give us #4, 2018 Miami (top-6 protected, unprotected in 2019), and 2021 Miami.

Vivek has his heart set on Fox (and to be fair, a Fox-Hield backcourt sounds enticing) and gives up #5, #10, and their 2022 1st.

At #5, Phil thinks Tatum is perfect for his dinosaur triangle offense, and offer #8 and an unprotected 1st in 2020.

At 8th we pick the BPA, which in my opinion is one of Monk, Issac, or Smith.  At 10 we again get BPA.  We'll say it's Anunoby, because he just screams Ainge pick.

Anyway, post draft we're left with the following 1st round pick situation:

2017: Whomever we picked at #8 and #10.
2018: Best of Philly or Lakers, Brooklyn, Celtics, Miami (top-6 protected -- probably conveying)
2019: Best of Philly or SAC, Memphis (top 8 protected), Clippers (top-14 protected), Celtics, (probably not Miami)
2020: Knicks, Celtics, maybe Clippers and/or Memphis
2021: Heat, Celtics, maybe Memphis (but most likely not)
2022: SAC and Celtics
2023: Philly and Celtics

Then you offer New Orleans their choice of our 2017 draftees, as well as the most favorable pick each year from 2018-2023.  That's a top 10 pick this year added to an unprotected 1st every year, with every year offering at least one pick from a current lottery team, and always a choice of a pick from at least two teams.  Talk about your godfather offers.  It's the Brooklyn deal on steroids.

It's not going to happen.  Obviously I'm sleep deprived and dreaming.  But this does feel like a draft where teams will fall in love with players and try to trade up, giving up real value for 1-2 spots.  It's arguable that any of the top 10 or so picks this year could have gone #2 last year, so there are players teams will love, and be willing to take that risk and go get.  And if you can hit 3-4 home run trades as you move down in the draft, from teams with extra picks in the future and/or irrational front offices, maybe at the end you could wind up with the offer New Orleans couldn't refuse (without eviscerating your own future, because you still have at least one first every year, and sometimes 2-3).