Author Topic: Dream scenario...trade down multiple times. Get great player and ton of picks.  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I could see a scenario where Ainge is fine with either Dennis Smith, J Isaac, or Tatum and as long as one of them is on the board he just keeps going down and gets about a billion picks

You trade down to three.  J Jackson is on the board.  Sacramento calls you about giving you 5 and 10. You do it.

Tatum goes 4th.

Now you're set to pick.  Minny calls.   They want J Issac.  You pick up two future firsts to go to 7.

Issac goes 5th

The Magic take DeArron 6th

It's 7th.  The Knicks call because they're dumb and they want Malik Monk.

You get a future pick to go down and get Dennis Smith.

Now you have something insane like

Dennis Smith and
The Lakers 2018
The Sixers 18
Sacramentos 19
Minnys 18 and 19 top 5 protected and unprotected after
Knicks 18
10th pick....Z Collins

We end up like the Patriots always looking at top ten picks every year.

Possibly make offer for Anthony Davis.

Wouldn't shock me if some trades happen after the teams make their picks.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
so you now play AD with a bunch of scrubs?

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
so you now play AD with a bunch of scrubs?
Yes because in this scenario all our other players that just went to the East Conference finals and are under contract were transfigured into tea cups by Professor McGonagal and Gordan Hayward decided not to come here and Ainge wasn't able to convince any other good players to sign on with a team that just went to the ECF and has more picks than God

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
More like a nightmare scenario. We can get a kick returner and long snapper. This is the NBA where you win with 3 or 4 stars surrounded by low wage role players. Draft Fultz and sign one of Griffin and Hayward.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It would be possible but unlikely we could end up with the top 3 picks in the next year's draft this way.
Plus Dennis Smith and Z Collins this year.
We could still sign Hayward.

And we'd have lotto picks projected out for about 3 or 4 years while getting the top seed every year. That's never been done I don't think.

I don't thin a team has ever gotten the top seed several years in a row and had a lottery pic or multiple lottery picks every year during that run

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Not seeing that first trade. Sacto has so many needs; if they keep the 5 and the 10 they can grab a  point guard and a big projected to be at least NBA-starter level. Many mocks have them taking Fox (who could easily turn into the best PG in this draft) and Collins or Markkanen. They'd have to be absolutely in love with whoever is available at #3 to do that.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I agree. That's why I called it a "dream" scenario and not a "realistic" scenario.  I'd say the odds of this are maybe 7%

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Well, it's true that Vlade can develop surprising levels of enthusiasm for a player (see: Buddy Hield).

But I'm putting the odds of that trade at 2.63%. Roughly.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I admit there's nothing to say other teams couldn't be thinking this way. It could go the other way.
Maybe the Kings are thinking they could trade down from 5 to 7. Maybe multiple teams go seller and Ainge goes buyer.  Although it seems more unlikely to me that teams will be sellers in this draft.

I think this is more of a buyer draft

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I would hate for this scenario.

At some point we have to get the best talents in the NBA, and we are literally being handed a transcendent one on a silver platter, and we are passing on it for more picks and settling for a "great player"? Man, I love Dennis Smith, Jr., but he's not being compared to James Harden with defense by the people that matter. That's a player we want. We can even say that Josh Jackson could be one of those guys.

We also have PLENTY of picks moving forward already.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Sooner or later you have to do something with the picks and stop collecting them.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Sooner or later you have to do something with the picks and stop collecting them.
You offer Jae Crowder and Rozier and 4 of them for Anthony Davis.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I think subconsciously part of the reason I suggest this is that I am concerned our window of improvement may be closing and I want to extend it.

If the theory is we add Hayward, Fultz, a top 5 pick next year and that's the whole plan for improvement.....I don't think that is even remotely close to enough to compete with the Cavs and Warriors in the next 3 years. Not by a long shot.

Hayward is nowhere near as good as Durant
IT is nowhere near as good as Steph
Fultz has a ways to go to be as good as Klay
Horford is nowhere near as good as Draymond

So now you're hoping for Jaylen and Smart and a top 5 pick next year to make a huge difference and to be able to keep this team together and for IT and Horford to maintain their level of play.

I don't see it

Might make this a thread

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It would be possible but unlikely we could end up with the top 3 picks in the next year's draft this way.
Plus Dennis Smith and Z Collins this year.
We could still sign Hayward.

And we'd have lotto picks projected out for about 3 or 4 years while getting the top seed every year. That's never been done I don't think.

I don't thin a team has ever gotten the top seed several years in a row and had a lottery pic or multiple lottery picks every year during that run

I just posted something similar on the 76ers/C's thread.

Next fall you could have

IT/Smith Jr/Rozier
Brown/Smart(AB went out in the trade)
Hayward/FA/Nader(same with Crowder)
Horford/Yabu
AD/Zizc

And still have Nets 2018 pick to land a Potter.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Thats...extreme. I thought driving to work that ainge might trade 1 for 3, lal 2018, and PHI 2018 then trade 3 for sacrementos 10 and right to swap 2018 picks. Essentially wed trade 1 for 10, lal 2018, phil 2018, and sacremento 2018 all unprotected...and of course we own brooklyns too. If that doesnt assure you at least a top 3 pick next year I dont know what will