Poll

Which pick is more valuable?

2018 Lakers
65 (75.6%)
2019 Kings
21 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: If its between 2018 Lakers pick or 2019 Kings pick... (poll)  (Read 18780 times)

Re: If its between 2018 Lakers pick or 2019 Kings pick... (poll)
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 05:47:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
It's too early to make this evaluation based on the prospects available.  Harry Giles would have been your #1 pick 2 years ago.  The only useful criteria is which pick ends up being higher.  Since the LA pick is restricted 2-5, you have to prefer a guaranteed top 5 pick to a random, likely lottery pick.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I think the eval process for the Class of 17 started 2 years ago. You get a baseline as to who these prospects are. I think I have seen Ayton play 5 or 6 times this year. Porter Jr 4. Bamba once although I did see him last year. And I have seen Doncic 1 with a chance to see 2 more games that I have on tape.

I think I have seen Bagley III play 3 maybe 4 times this year. Langford once. Williamson none. Reddish once maybe twice.

I dont like going into the draft just based on college games and certainly not just on the numbers.

All in all there is a big difference in getting Porter Jr next year or Langford in 19. Not all top 5 picks are equal so thats why I cant eval just based on the flexibility of the pick.
I've seen all the Porter and Ayton highlights.  Neither of them are generational talents.  We're not watching 17 year old Lebron James.  With that in mind, a lot can change in 2 years.  I'll take the 5 pick in 18 over a random pick in 19.  If you were guaranteed the 3 pick in 19 by some magic, you would take that because it's better, on average, than a random pick 2-5.

We don't have any control over which pick we get, so the question is academic.

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 06:05:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think the Pacers have almost no choice but to trade for Randle and the 27th pick for George. I doubt any team is going to give them more than that considering how adamant George has been about signing with LA after the season. The pick with Brook and George (and ingram, nance and clarkson and ball) would defitely be in the 9-12 range with no other free agent signings (especially given they wont lose on purpose like last year). Orlando, Nets, Suns, Kings, Knicks, plus a few unplanned teams (Dallas, Atlanta) will all be awful and trying to lose.

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 06:12:40 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I'd love to get Ayton, Porter, or Doncic next season. I believe all 3 have superstar potential.

But if it falls to 2019, Zion Williamson and Moses Brown look great. Since we can't get #1 for 2019, we can't get Bagley, who will almost certainly be #1.

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 09:17:59 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
I'd love to get Ayton, Porter, or Doncic next season. I believe all 3 have superstar potential.

But if it falls to 2019, Zion Williamson and Moses Brown look great. Since we can't get #1 for 2019, we can't get Bagley, who will almost certainly be #1.
Doncic looks like an NBA role player.  Chandler Parsons / Mike Miller hybrid.  He doesn't have the athleticism to be a slasher in the NBA.  Never get a shot off.

Porter has some upside.  Ayton is awfully slow.  But they're all very young... time will tell.

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Doncic looks like an NBA role player.  Chandler Parsons / Mike Miller hybrid.  He doesn't have the athleticism to be a slasher in the NBA.  Never get a shot off.

Porter has some upside.  Ayton is awfully slow.  But they're all very young... time will tell.

He would "never" get a shot off?

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

He would "never" get a shot off?
Like Adam Morrison or Jerebko.  He gets the shot off, but it's a sweeping hook because that's the ONLY way it's not getting blocked.  So he becomes a spot up shooter.

Getting your shot blocked half the time is the exact same as 100%.  You're not in the NBA.

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 09:44:13 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
It's too early to make this evaluation based on the prospects available.  Harry Giles would have been your #1 pick 2 years ago.  The only useful criteria is which pick ends up being higher.  Since the LA pick is restricted 2-5, you have to prefer a guaranteed top 5 pick to a random, likely lottery pick.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I think the eval process for the Class of 17 started 2 years ago. You get a baseline as to who these prospects are. I think I have seen Ayton play 5 or 6 times this year. Porter Jr 4. Bamba once although I did see him last year. And I have seen Doncic 1 with a chance to see 2 more games that I have on tape.

I think I have seen Bagley III play 3 maybe 4 times this year. Langford once. Williamson none. Reddish once maybe twice.

I dont like going into the draft just based on college games and certainly not just on the numbers.

All in all there is a big difference in getting Porter Jr next year or Langford in 19. Not all top 5 picks are equal so thats why I cant eval just based on the flexibility of the pick.
I've seen all the Porter and Ayton highlights.  Neither of them are generational talents.  We're not watching 17 year old Lebron James.  With that in mind, a lot can change in 2 years.  I'll take the 5 pick in 18 over a random pick in 19.  If you were guaranteed the 3 pick in 19 by some magic, you would take that because it's better, on average, than a random pick 2-5.

We don't have any control over which pick we get, so the question is academic.

Im not talking about watching highlights, Im talking about watching games. Those are much more important. You dont have to see a generational talent at 18. It takes awhile for guys to be franchise guys let alone generational.

With all that said I still think the players in 18 are better than the ones in 19.

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 09:47:28 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

Ayton is not slow. Far from it. That's crazy. He is by far one of the fastest bigs in the last 10 or 15 years and thats not hype. At 7'0 256 he runs the floor like David Robinson.

This is the problem with just watching highlights.

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Danny don't want no draft picks next year. Not if he has Hayward and George. Except maybe the Nets pick.

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:34 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I think the Kings will be worse, however we only get the Lakers pick if it is 2-5, so you have to go that way, don't you?  Sure the Kings might be 1, but they might be 10 also.

This. If you actually get the Lakers pick, you have to be happy with the outcome. The alternative could be terrifying.

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Ayton is not slow. Far from it. That's crazy. He is by far one of the fastest bigs in the last 10 or 15 years and thats not hype. At 7'0 256 he runs the floor like David Robinson.

There were 5 big men in this year's draft alone with better mobility and explosiveness than Ayton.  David Robinson.   ::)  Looks more like Antonio Davis to me.

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Yeah, I don't think Ayton is slow.  I think athletically and physically, a young Lamarcus Aldridge is a solid comparison.

Both move like guards, have fantastic body control, have quick bounce, can run the floor, and have great size at 7 feet with ~7'5 wingspan.

Of course I'm talking about prime LA, not current LA.

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2017, 04:04:38 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Ayton's soph year of hs he posted these verticals @ UA camp:
28.5'' no-step
34.5'' max vertical

That is with measuring a 9'5'' STANDING REACH and a 7'4.5'' WINGSPAN.....which is extremely rare in itself but then combine that length and size with his athleticism....

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

There were 5 big men in this year's draft alone with better mobility and explosiveness than Ayton.  David Robinson.   ::)  Looks more like Antonio Davis to me.

Ok name the five?

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
DJ Wilson
Bam Adebayo
John Collins
Ike Anibogo