Poll

Which pick is more valuable?

2018 Lakers
65 (75.6%)
2019 Kings
21 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: If its between 2018 Lakers pick or 2019 Kings pick... (poll)  (Read 18779 times)

Re: If its between 2018 Lakers pick or 2019 Kings pick... (poll)
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2017, 01:04:30 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
People get too caught up on the thought of trading away the chance to draft Fultz. However, based on the top players expected to be available in 2018 via draft express and the fact that 2019 draft top pick, Marvin Bargley Jr., is a generational type talent. Then it's easy to see the rationale here.

Fultz

for

Jackson, Tatum, or Ball
+
2018 - Doncic, Porter, Ayton, or Bamba
+
2019 - Bagley Jr., Langford, Reddish, or Williamson

Now doesn't the thought of that take people off the ledge? Plus, we could potentially net (pun intended) two of those players in 2018.
The Lakers will have zero incentive to lose games next year, much less if they know for a fact that their pick belongs to the C's.

Ball - Clarkson
Russell
Ingram - Deng - Brewer
Randle - Nance Jr.
Mozgov - Zubac - Black

+ the 28th pick

This is not a bottom 5 team. Not to mention it's possible they trade for Paul George either this summer or at the trade deadline.

The Nets have had zero incentive to tank either and how'd that turn for them over the last 2 seasons? That team you mentioned, except for Ball, is the same team that finished 26-56 and had the 3rd worst record in the league.

Plus, they play in the West. Can you name the 5 teams that they're going to be better than?
Yeah but they were tanking hard cause they were in danger of losing both this year's pick and their 2019 first as well to the Magic. The way I see it, there is no way the Lakers lose that many games next season if they know for a fact that their pick belongs to the C's.

Can you name the 5 teams that they're going to be better than?
Who knows? Let's say
Nets
Magic
Suns
Kings
Hornets

How exactly were they tanking hard? Management tanks, players don't. Players play to win, but they just aren't good to win so then the results and intention becomes blurred. The Lakers best 4 players (Clarkson, Russell, Randle, and Ingram), especially as it relates from a foundation point of view, played 82, 63, 74, and 79 games.

Out of the teams you mentioned you can make a case that the Suns and Magic will be better than the Lakers. As for the Hornets, you were clearly struggling to name a 5th team, so that's what led to you naming a team that won 10 more games than the Lakers last season and were a 6th seed the year prior with basically the same roster.
Come on now, you know exactly what I mean. Players play to win but the management may keep them out of games with minor injuries or give extended playing time to untested rookies while benching the experienced vets and so forth... Not to mention they traded Lou Williams to the Rockets for #28 + Brewer.

You are right about the Hornets. I don't necessarily believe they are gonna be a bottom 5 team. I believe the Magic are gonna be horrible though. Anyway, my point is that you never know what's going to happen. I mean, did you believe the Wolves were gonna be a bottom 6 team this year? Did you believe the Magic were gonna be a bottom 5 team when they traded for Ibaka? Perhaps the Knicks trade Melo and go all youth mode with Porzingis and a bunch of rooks. Perhaps the Pistons let KCP walk and they suck. Who knows?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:24:45 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 01:20:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If the 2018 Lakers pick  is not between 2-5

turns into 2019 Kings pick (unprotected)??

If this is the case...I like it

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2017, 01:33:34 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They're both equal value. The protection protects the Celtics from getting a bad pick next year

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2017, 01:36:13 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
People get too caught up on the thought of trading away the chance to draft Fultz. However, based on the top players expected to be available in 2018 via draft express and the fact that 2019 draft top pick, Marvin Bargley Jr., is a generational type talent. Then it's easy to see the rationale here.

Fultz

for

Jackson, Tatum, or Ball
+
2018 - Doncic, Porter, Ayton, or Bamba
+
2019 - Bagley Jr., Langford, Reddish, or Williamson

Now doesn't the thought of that take people off the ledge? Plus, we could potentially net (pun intended) two of those players in 2018.
The Lakers will have zero incentive to lose games next year, much less if they know for a fact that their pick belongs to the C's.

Ball - Clarkson
Russell
Ingram - Deng - Brewer
Randle - Nance Jr.
Mozgov - Zubac - Black

+ the 28th pick

This is not a bottom 5 team. Not to mention it's possible they trade for Paul George either this summer or at the trade deadline.

The Nets have had zero incentive to tank either and how'd that turn for them over the last 2 seasons? That team you mentioned, except for Ball, is the same team that finished 26-56 and had the 3rd worst record in the league.

Plus, they play in the West. Can you name the 5 teams that they're going to be better than?
Yeah but they were tanking hard cause they were in danger of losing both this year's pick and their 2019 first as well to the Magic. The way I see it, there is no way the Lakers lose that many games next season if they know for a fact that their pick belongs to the C's.

Can you name the 5 teams that they're going to be better than?
Who knows? Let's say
Nets
Magic
Suns
Kings
Hornets

How exactly were they tanking hard? Management tanks, players don't. Players play to win, but they just aren't good to win so then the results and intention becomes blurred. The Lakers best 4 players (Clarkson, Russell, Randle, and Ingram), especially as it relates from a foundation point of view, played 82, 63, 74, and 79 games.

Out of the teams you mentioned you can make a case that the Suns and Magic will be better than the Lakers. As for the Hornets, you were clearly struggling to name a 5th team, so that's what led to you naming a team that won 10 more games than the Lakers last season and were a 6th seed the year prior with basically the same roster.
Come on now, you know exactly what I mean. Players play to win but the management may keep them out of games with minor injuries or give extended playing time to untested rookies while benching the experienced vets and so forth... Not to mention they traded Lou Williams to the Rockets for #28 + Brewer.

You are right about the Hornets. I don't necessarily believe they are gonna be a bottom 5 team. I believe the Magic are gonna be horrible though. Anyway, my point is that you never know what's going to happen. I mean, did you believe the Wolves were gonna be a bottom 6 team this year? Did you believe the Magic were gonna be a bottom 5 team when they traded for Ibaka? Perhaps the Knicks trade Melo and go all youth mode with Porzingis and a bunch of rooks. Perhaps the Pistons let KCP walk and they suck. Who knows?
They really sucked without Holiday. That was really the key to the tank. It's the biggest thing keeping me optimistic about their chances of sucking next year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 02:29:43 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Hope there is an option to pick the 2018 Lakers pick or 2019 Kings pick...not one or the other

How does the 2019 class look? Kings should still be a horrible team

The draft looks good, or as good as it can look for HS juniors.   I'd welcom a top 5 pick in that draft.
http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2019-nba-mock-draft.html?m=1

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Hope there is an option to pick the 2018 Lakers pick or 2019 Kings pick...not one or the other

The draft looks good, or as good as it can look for HS juniors.   I'd welcom a top 5 pick in that draft.

Sigh, but no shot at Bagley.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Sigh, but no shot at Bagley.

Mike

Maybe if Moses Brown goes #1, but we have 3 first rounders in 2019 already, even if we ended up with Philly's pick it would be good.  4 picks should be enough to trade up if we need to.

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Right now its 18 and its not even close. As I have watched this 18 class I think the floors of Porter Jr, Bamba, and Ayton are pretty high. They arent flawless and I have my concerns about them but I like those players more than I like anyone outside of Bagley III. Langford has a long way this his body fills out. He reminds me of RIP.

Anyways, I would take the 18 pick before the 19 pick without question right now.

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 04:40:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think the Kings will be worse, however we only get the Lakers pick if it is 2-5, so you have to go that way, don't you?  Sure the Kings might be 1, but they might be 10 also.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
It's too early to make this evaluation based on the prospects available.  Harry Giles would have been your #1 pick 2 years ago.  The only useful criteria is which pick ends up being higher.  Since the LA pick is restricted 2-5, you have to prefer a guaranteed top 5 pick to a random, likely lottery pick.

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
LAL '18.

Just get it over with.  Hopefully, a top 3 pick.  Worse case, you're 5th.   Not have to deal with the stress of a SAC '19 watch the following season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 04:54:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
don't know anything about the projected 2019 class but would take the Laker pick because it's must be a high pick to convey to us and it's a deep draft of big men.  getting the best of the Philly/Sac pick the next year is no guarantee that either sucks (particularly Philly) and if Sac comes out with the top pick, we likely only get a non-lottery Philly pick. 

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 04:56:47 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Kings could be good in 2 years. Hield looks like a hit and they are about to get 2 top 10 picks.

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
LAL '18.

Just get it over with.  Hopefully, a top 3 pick.  Worse case, you're 5th.   Not have to deal with the stress of a SAC '19 watch the following season.
It's not the watch. It's the reckoning. I reckon the LAL pick if top 5, especially since we don't have a shot at Bagley (don't care what some say that evaluations can/do change, he'd be the first pick this year if Danny could've drafted him but had to wait 2 years. He's going to be that good). Two top 5 picks would come in handy next year.

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 05:08:49 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
It's too early to make this evaluation based on the prospects available.  Harry Giles would have been your #1 pick 2 years ago.  The only useful criteria is which pick ends up being higher.  Since the LA pick is restricted 2-5, you have to prefer a guaranteed top 5 pick to a random, likely lottery pick.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I think the eval process for the Class of 17 started 2 years ago. You get a baseline as to who these prospects are. I think I have seen Ayton play 5 or 6 times this year. Porter Jr 4. Bamba once although I did see him last year. And I have seen Doncic 1 with a chance to see 2 more games that I have on tape.

I think I have seen Bagley III play 3 maybe 4 times this year. Langford once. Williamson none. Reddish once maybe twice.

I dont like going into the draft just based on college games and certainly not just on the numbers.

All in all there is a big difference in getting Porter Jr next year or Langford in 19. Not all top 5 picks are equal so thats why I cant eval just based on the flexibility of the pick.