Poll

Which pick is more valuable?

2018 Lakers
65 (75.6%)
2019 Kings
21 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: If its between 2018 Lakers pick or 2019 Kings pick... (poll)  (Read 18791 times)

Re: If its between 2018 Lakers pick or 2019 Kings pick... (poll)
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
DJ Wilson
Bam Adebayo
John Collins
Ike Anibogo

Really? So Ayton would barely be a lotto guy in this draft? And before you answer this please tell me how many times you have seen him actually play a game.

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
DJ Wilson
Bam Adebayo
John Collins
Ike Anibogo

The only one out of that group id rate as faster than Ayton is DJ Wilson, and he is a wing.
#JKJB

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
DJ Wilson
Bam Adebayo
John Collins
Ike Anibogo

The only one out of that group id rate as faster than Ayton is DJ Wilson, and he is a wing.

I watched the vast majority of Wilson's college games, and probably was the first one on this site to mention him, and I can assure you -- he's not a wing. He's an athletic 4 and a small-ball stretch 5.  He's quick enough laterally to guard a 3 for short stretches, but a wing he is not.

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
DJ Wilson
Bam Adebayo
John Collins
Ike Anibogo

Really? So Ayton would barely be a lotto guy in this draft? And before you answer this please tell me how many times you have seen him actually play a game.

I think you are misunderstanding this list.

These are bigs (4's and 5's) in this past draft that I would consider more athletic than Deandre Ayton.

As you can see, it's not a long list at all.  I think Ayton is a great athlete.

None of the guys that I mentioned are in the same stratosphere as Ayton as a prospect overall.

I have seen two full high school game that Ayton played in, and two all-star games he has played in.

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 06:50:45 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'd love to get Ayton, Porter, or Doncic next season. I believe all 3 have superstar potential.

But if it falls to 2019, Zion Williamson and Moses Brown look great. Since we can't get #1 for 2019, we can't get Bagley, who will almost certainly be #1.
Doncic looks like an NBA role player.  Chandler Parsons / Mike Miller hybrid.  He doesn't have the athleticism to be a slasher in the NBA.  Never get a shot off.

Porter has some upside.  Ayton is awfully slow.  But they're all very young... time will tell.

He would "never" get a shot off?
Like Adam Morrison or Jerebko.  He gets the shot off, but it's a sweeping hook because that's the ONLY way it's not getting blocked.  So he becomes a spot up shooter.

Getting your shot blocked half the time is the exact same as 100%.  You're not in the NBA.

Being 6'8 without shoes as a PG helps you get your shot off.

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2017, 06:56:23 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
DJ Wilson
Bam Adebayo
John Collins
Ike Anibogo

I think you are misunderstanding this list.

These are bigs (4's and 5's) in this past draft that I would consider more athletic than Deandre Ayton.

As you can see, it's not a long list at all.  I think Ayton is a great athlete.

None of the guys that I mentioned are in the same stratosphere as Ayton as a prospect overall.

I have seen two full high school game that Ayton played in, and two all-star games he has played in.

OK I have seen about 7 or 8 but I think we are both working from a decent baseline. The initial statement was that he is slow based on highlights. The question then became guys that have greater mobility and explosiveness. I would say some of those guys are more fluid athletes but I dont see them more as both more explosive and mobile than Ayton. Thoughts?

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'd love to get Ayton, Porter, or Doncic next season. I believe all 3 have superstar potential.

But if it falls to 2019, Zion Williamson and Moses Brown look great. Since we can't get #1 for 2019, we can't get Bagley, who will almost certainly be #1.
Doncic looks like an NBA role player.  Chandler Parsons / Mike Miller hybrid.  He doesn't have the athleticism to be a slasher in the NBA.  Never get a shot off.

Porter has some upside.  Ayton is awfully slow.  But they're all very young... time will tell.

Like Adam Morrison or Jerebko.  He gets the shot off, but it's a sweeping hook because that's the ONLY way it's not getting blocked.  So he becomes a spot up shooter.

Getting your shot blocked half the time is the exact same as 100%.  You're not in the NBA.

No way he's playing PG in the league.  Too slow. 

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2017, 11:46:13 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

Your analysis of Doncic is about as worthwhile as your take on Ayton.

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2017, 06:03:09 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Are you saying you think he's fast enough to play PG?  In the NBA.

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2017, 02:22:40 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

how is he slow

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2017, 01:54:41 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

how is he slow
Like a person who is fast for a normal human being but not fast relative to NBA guards.  Certainly not an NBA PG.  Not as quick as Gordon Hayward, e.g. 

Watch some old Euro highlights of Bogdanovic.  He's a facilitator on offense, running by people in transition.  He's disruptive defensively, blocking shots and getting in passing lanes.  Averaging 20 and 4-5 assists and shooting insane percentages.  How'd that translate?  He's a nice NBA role player, mostly relegated to spot up shooter, because he's not QUICK enough to separate against NBA athletes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9vz7fXub84

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

how is he slow
Like a person who is fast for a normal human being but not fast relative to NBA guards.  Certainly not an NBA PG.  Not as quick as Gordon Hayward, e.g. 

Watch some old Euro highlights of Bogdanovic.  He's a facilitator on offense, running by people in transition.  He's disruptive defensively, blocking shots and getting in passing lanes.  Averaging 20 and 4-5 assists and shooting insane percentages.  How'd that translate?  He's a nice NBA role player, mostly relegated to spot up shooter, because he's not QUICK enough to separate against NBA athletes.

Will be interesting to see how Doncic performs at the combine. I see no quickness measurements on him anywhere. Until we see those, it's all speculative in regards to how "slow" he is..

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7

how is he slow

Confusing Bogdanovics?

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

how is he slow

Confusing Bogdanovics?
Whoops.  Yeah, I did a quick search and grabbed the wrong vid.

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Is the Kings pick totally unprotected? I ask because it's clear to me that the Lakers will win around 40 games this year.