Author Topic: Report: Jonathan Isaac won't work out for teams picking after No. 4  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Sigh.  I was afraid that this was going to happen, so I guess that we won't be able to get him at 5, then, anymore, if that was even an option.  Would Phoenix take 5, 28, Zizic, and maybe even back it up like Tonka truck for, well, 4?  I'm getting a no.

Anyway, here's the article.  Just thought that everyone should know.

Former Florida State Seminoles forward Jonathan Isaac will not workout for teams picking outside of the top four of the 2017 NBA draft, according to ESPN Minnesota’s Darren Wolfson.

“I know he's worked out for the Phoenix Suns and Boston Celtics,” Wolfson said on the June 12 episode of The Scoop podcast. “I know some teams below the [Minnesota Timberwolves] are trying to get some face time with Isaac. They are swinging and missing so far.

“Jonathan Isaac will only workout for teams in the top four,” he followed in the final five minutes of the June 13 show.

Isaac has worked out with the Suns twice so far, becoming the first prospect to visit a team a second time since workouts began.

The 19-year-old forward averaged 12 points and 7.8 rebounds per game to lead the Seminoles to the second round of the NCAA tournament, where they lost handily to Xavier. He made half his field goal attempts and 35 percent of his threes in his lone season at Florida State before declaring for the NBA draft.

Teams have been enamored by the freshman’s versatility and defensive potential. Isaac stands at 6’10, but has shown himself to be a solid perimeter defender. If he can defend guards at the next level, he could become valuable in switching on pick-and-rolls.

Isaac is projected to go fourth overall to the Phoenix Suns in our latest mock draft, and sixth overall to the Orlando Magic on DraftExpress.

Why this would make sense

Isaac could have a promise from a team in the top four. It could be as simple as that.

The 6’10 forward has twice visited the Suns, who pick fourth, including a private workout in recent days. It wouldn’t make sense to workout if Phoenix at No. 4 is the lowest he can fall.

The Suns could be an interesting fit for Isaac. On one hand, Phoenix has Marquese Chriss and Dragan Bender as lanky forwards with differing skill sets on the roster. Adding another versatile forward could further clutter a youthful front court.

But Isaac looks more like a three than a four in today’s NBA. The Bronx, N.Y. native has range out to the three-point line, can post up, and has the defensive potential to check multiple positions. If his game translates over to the NBA, Phoenix could find itself with loads of length and athleticism in the front court — provided they develop their talent.

Why this wouldn’t make sense

This year’s draft class is one of the deepest in recent memory. But there’s been some turbulence at the top. Markelle Fultz is still expected to go No. 1, but Lonzo Ball is no longer a shoo-in at No. 2. The Lakers could pick Josh Jackson, Jayson Tatum, or even De’Aaron Fox over the UCLA guard.

And if Ball falls to No. 4, there’s no question the Suns would swipe him up to put alongside Devin Booker in a heartbeat.

Isaac has worked out for the Suns twice, but if a player Phoenix likes falls outside of the top three, a decision not to workout for other teams could hurt in the long run. Jackson and Tatum are generally considered the next two players in line after Fultz and Ball get drafted. Isaac and Tatum, while both skilled, have two totally different games.

Isaac also played his college ball in Tallahassee, just a few hours north of Orlando. The Magic, who are picking sixth, could be a possibility, though Aaron Gordon has secured the power forward spot.

Probability this is true: 4/10

It just doesn’t make sense to limit your exposure in such a deep draft class. The odds are leaning in Tatum and Jackson’s favor at picks No. 3 and 4. That could come around to bite Isaac if he indeed doesn’t workout for other teams.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/14/15800740/jonathan-isaac-nba-draft-workout-rumor-suns-celtics-magic

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
interesting report.  Maybe he's just tired of working out and after team 4 doesn't really care
where he goes. 

Or, he know Phoenix likes him enough to take him.  I don't agree with the article stating that the Suns would automatically take Ball if he falls to them.  They might not want the headache of his dad and also figuring out what to do with Bledsoe and Brandon Knight.  Booker is already great.  He doesn't need a Lonzo to get him the ball the whole team knows to give it to him. 

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
interesting report.  Maybe he's just tired of working out and after team 4 doesn't really care
where he goes. 

Or, he know Phoenix likes him enough to take him.  I don't agree with the article stating that the Suns would automatically take Ball if he falls to them.  They might not want the headache of his dad and also figuring out what to do with Bledsoe and Brandon Knight.  Booker is already great.  He doesn't need a Lonzo to get him the ball the whole team knows to give it to him.

Yeah, that's my assessment, as well.