Poll

Would you trade the #1 pick for #3 + Lakers 2018 + Sacramento 2019 ?

Yes
No
Only if the Sixers add another first as well
Undecided

Author Topic: Ainge looking for a "Brooklyn type fleece"  (Read 7549 times)

Re: Ainge looking for a "Brooklyn type fleece"
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2017, 12:59:35 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Zach Lowe is saying that it's 3 and ONE additional first. If that's true, then Danny's got himself a "Brooklyn type fleecing" alright. We'll see how he enjoys the role of Billy King this time.

Indeed.

The Sixers get the best player in the draft, and we get an upgraded Jaylen Brown, with no certainty of the 2018 pick being good.

This is just flat out dumb. I refuse to believe that Danny is this dumb...

It's dumb if you assume best-case scenario for the Lakers pick. What if LA wins 30 games due to internal development/addition of #2? What if they trade for Paul George? What if the Lakers are the worst team in the league and get jumped by 3 teams in the lotto? What if the 2018 Draft ends up being poor? When you start to consider everything that could go wrong, it enters "worst trade of all time" territory.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2017, 01:02:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Zach Lowe is saying that it's 3 and ONE additional first. If that's true, then Danny's got himself a "Brooklyn type fleecing" alright. We'll see how he enjoys the role of Billy King this time.

Indeed.

The Sixers get the best player in the draft, and we get an upgraded Jaylen Brown, with no certainty of the 2018 pick being good.

He won't do that deal. He can't.

If he's actually gonna trade Fultz, trade him after the draft after signing someone like Blake or Hayward and push all in on NOW. Get Butler or George. Or both. I don't care anymore.

CELTICS 2024

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Indeed.

If he's actually gonna trade Fultz, trade him after the draft after signing someone like Blake or Hayward and push all in on NOW. Get Butler or George. Or both. I don't care anymore.

Trading down to 3 helps create the room to sign Blake or Hayward. It would mean not having to trade Bradley, which is more of a win now move that you are referring to.

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2017, 02:21:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
God no.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2017, 02:21:29 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
OP, Philly is fleecing Ainge. They're getting the best player in this draft, and protecting the opportunity to get the best player in next year's draft.

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Indeed.

It's dumb if you assume best-case scenario for the Lakers pick. What if LA wins 30 games due to internal development/addition of #2? What if they trade for Paul George? What if the Lakers are the worst team in the league and get jumped by 3 teams in the lotto? What if the 2018 Draft ends up being poor? When you start to consider everything that could go wrong, it enters "worst trade of all time" territory.

I agree 100%

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

The only one doing "fleecing" here is Philly to Boston

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Indeed.

Trading down to 3 helps create the room to sign Blake or Hayward. It would mean not having to trade Bradley, which is more of a win now move that you are referring to.

We wouldn't be in that position to begin with of Danny didn't pay $30m a year to an old,  declining Al Horford.  We'd have the cap space to potentially sign TWO max free agents then.   

I have absolutely no interest in treating down and potentially losing a future franchise player for the sake of saving 2m in cap space.   Thats so [dang] wrong .  Id rather take Fultz and hold the cap space for next year. I'm not incredibly high on the idea of throwing max deals at guys like Hayward and Griffin anyway.  Griffin is to injury prone,  while Hayward just isn't good enough to take us to "contender"  level.

The only way I can respect this year is if Indiana or Chicago has a huge thing for Jackson, and aquiring him would allow Boston to assemble a package for either Butler or George...while still having the cap space to sign Griffin.   Then i can accept it.

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

The only one doing "fleecing" here is Philly to Boston

They are killing us on this deal!! No way Philly would have taken that deal from us last year for Simmons, no way in hell!

All we get is a "potential" lottery pick next year so another chance of drafting a defensive player that can't shoot? I'll pass on that, no thanks!

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2017, 02:36:26 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I remember the brooklyn deal, ppl here didn't like it at the time

Saying that i do think b/w now and the draft ainge should attempt to jake up the price,  i would let them fall in love and then take it away

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 02:12:40 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Indeed.

We wouldn't be in that position to begin with of Danny didn't pay $30m a year to an old,  declining Al Horford.  We'd have the cap space to potentially sign TWO max free agents then.   

I have absolutely no interest in treating down and potentially losing a future franchise player for the sake of saving 2m in cap space.   Thats so [dang] wrong .  Id rather take Fultz and hold the cap space for next year. I'm not incredibly high on the idea of throwing max deals at guys like Hayward and Griffin anyway.  Griffin is to injury prone,  while Hayward just isn't good enough to take us to "contender"  level.

The only way I can respect this year is if Indiana or Chicago has a huge thing for Jackson, and aquiring him would allow Boston to assemble a package for either Butler or George...while still having the cap space to sign Griffin.   Then i can accept it.

Lol  ::)

If we didnt add Horford and get to ECF, what makes you think Free Agents would want to sign with us vs other teams? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2017, 02:23:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Philadelphia will get the best player of the draft.

They also have the rights for the Lakers pick if it landed #1 overall.

Danny Ainge found a Brooklyn type fleece alright, and he let the Sixers take it.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace