Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 106572 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #645 on: October 23, 2017, 09:22:01 AM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
Of course it's too early to judge Fultz.

But c'mon, we need to have a little fun around here. Without draft judgments, trade speculation or arguments about whether Marcus will ever learn to shoot, this forum wouldn't exist and I'd have to, I dunno, actually do some work or something. How distasteful.

Mike

« Reply #646 on: October 23, 2017, 09:48:58 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
People need to pay attention.  Here is what Danny why was right.  He didn’t say that Tatum was this vastly superior prospect.  He said that in his mind, there was no huge difference between the two while most fans viewed Fultz as a mega star talent and Tatum as an after thought.

Regardless of what happened over the next ten years, can  we all agree that DA was right?  These two guys are at worst similar prospects?

« Reply #647 on: October 23, 2017, 10:34:05 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
People need to pay attention.  Here is what Danny why was right.  He didn’t say that Tatum was this vastly superior prospect.  He said that in his mind, there was no huge difference between the two while most fans viewed Fultz as a mega star talent and Tatum as an after thought.

Regardless of what happened over the next ten years, can  we all agree that DA was right?  These two guys are at worst similar prospects?

What was DA suppose to say. "Fultz sucks, Tatum is our guy"? Then burn an agent that will hold a grudge in a future deal? Him not taking Fultz says more about Fultz lacking something then all the prospects being close. Tatum must have one little thing that makes him click that Stevens and DA both liked over Fultz. I still think it's mental. How Fultz is having shooting issues, and Tatum has stepped up with a key player going down. Even in the CAVS Tatum had a poor first half, but came strong in the second. That showed something.

« Reply #648 on: October 23, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
this trade was amazing for us since day 1.

We got the player we wanted at 1 and also got another potential top 5 pick. I assumed it would have been a win win trade at the time but now with Fultz and his yips I am soo glad Danny didn't want Fultz.

« Reply #649 on: October 23, 2017, 11:54:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
3 GAMES
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #650 on: October 23, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

What was DA suppose to say. "Fultz sucks, Tatum is our guy"? Then burn an agent that will hold a grudge in a future deal? Him not taking Fultz says more about Fultz lacking something then all the prospects being close. Tatum must have one little thing that makes him click that Stevens and DA both liked over Fultz. I still think it's mental. How Fultz is having shooting issues, and Tatum has stepped up with a key player going down. Even in the CAVS Tatum had a poor first half, but came strong in the second. That showed something.
And here is my point.  You're talking like Fultz was completely off the Celtic board or something.  You think that DA thought that Fultz sucked and Tatum is our guy?  He was in the minority in preferring Tatum to Fultz but I would not go that far.

Again, prior to the draft many a celtic fan was looking at fultz like a can't miss star that was clearly head and shoulders above everyone else.  DA did not see that, and in fact preferred Tatum.  I think on that, even at this early stage, DA was right.  I think the two guys are similar prospects.

« Reply #651 on: October 23, 2017, 02:01:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/23/16518782/markelle-fultz-sixers-early-season-panic

This is becoming the talk of the NBA. Could be nothing for sure, but certainly happy with Tatum

« Reply #652 on: October 23, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

You have to say that, otherwise the trade is impossible.  If Danny acknowledges that (he believes) Tatum is superior, he'd have no leverage to trade down, because Philly can simply select Fultz 3rd.  Everyone knew the Lakers were taking Ball.  The only narrative that works is "there is no difference between the prospects but I can be bought with a first round pick".  Selling the media the same thing he sold the Sixers. 

« Reply #653 on: October 23, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

You have to say that, otherwise the trade is impossible.  If Danny acknowledges that (he believes) Tatum is superior, he'd have no leverage to trade down, because Philly can simply select Fultz 3rd.  Everyone knew the Lakers were taking Ball.  The only narrative that works is "there is no difference between the prospects but I can be bought with a first round pick".  Selling the media the same thing he sold the Sixers.
When the trade was made (and the uproar from Celtic fans), DA very clearly stated that he and the sixers were negotiating on common ground (that the difference between the two prospects was minimal, hence the smaller return than most celtic fans wanted).  That he preferred Tatum is not that important if the sixers preferred fultz. 

I don't believe that DA thought that Tatum was vastly superior nor do I believe that is the case now. 

« Reply #654 on: October 23, 2017, 06:06:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't believe that DA thought that Tatum was vastly superior nor do I believe that is the case now.

I have read several articles that stated Tatum was always Ainge's pick as the best player in the draft.

« Reply #655 on: October 23, 2017, 06:15:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I have read several articles that stated Tatum was always Ainge's pick as the best player in the draft.

There’s a large distance between “vastly superior” and “prefers A to B”.

There were multiple accounts that the Celtics were very high on Fultz — before they even won the lottery.

« Reply #656 on: October 23, 2017, 06:28:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

There were multiple accounts that the Celtics were very high on Fultz — before they even won the lottery.

Although, ut's logical to think that really changed after they had him in for an interview and workout. I wonder if Ainge privately thought it wasn't close between the two players with all the additional information gathered. In fact, along with Tatum, I think Jackson was probably the player the most intrigued him.

« Reply #657 on: October 23, 2017, 06:50:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Although, ut's logical to think that really changed after they had him in for an interview and workout. I wonder if Ainge privately thought it wasn't close between the two players with all the additional information gathered. In fact, along with Tatum, I think Jackson was probably the player the most intrigued him.

Is it though? The Sixers had Fultz in for a workout/interview, and it went well enough they said “Yes, let’s trade a valuable future pick to move up two spots.”  It must have been a very good workout.  Now, the Sixers may have known that Ainge had a preference for Tatum.  But they clearly believed Fultz was worth taking, and wouldn’t be there at #3 if they passed.  And certainly some of that came from their workout.

I personally find it difficult to believe Fultz had such a huge gap in his workouts that Ainge could view Tatum as “vastly superior” while the Sixers viewed him as worth trading #3 and an additional significant pick for.

« Reply #658 on: October 23, 2017, 06:58:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Is it though? The Sixers had Fultz in for a workout/interview, and it went well enough they said “Yes, let’s trade a valuable future pick to move up two spots.”  It must have been a very good workout.  Now, the Sixers may have known that Ainge had a preference for Tatum.  But they clearly believed Fultz was worth taking, and wouldn’t be there at #3 if they passed.  And certainly some of that came from their workout.

I personally find it difficult to believe Fultz had such a huge gap in his workouts that Ainge could view Tatum as “vastly superior” while the Sixers viewed him as worth trading #3 and an additional significant pick for.

I'm not sure if the Sixers were going with BPA as much as they were going with need. The thinking was probably to not stand pat at #3, to take Jackson or Tatum, when they have Saric, Covington, and Simmons all playing the 3/4. Again, they probably thought Fultz would be able to play off-ball and off Simmons and Embiid.

« Reply #659 on: October 23, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Hasn't Ainge said that he doesn't put much stock into workouts, though? Seems to me that the tournament had more to do with it than workouts/interviews (and that it was Tatum taking the top spot, not Fultz losing it)
I'm bitter.